Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

SF2 Republic F-105G Thunderchief Wild Weasel by ArmorDave

= For SF2, Full-4/5 Merged (Full-5 Reccomended/Preferred) =

*Note: the destroyed model referenced herein 'looks' for the stock destroyed F-105D lod. So, at the very least you MUST have either SF2E, or SF2V to gain access to said destroyed model. Hence the Full 4/5 Merged reccomendation*

Some major upgrades to ArmorDave F-105G "Wild Weasel" Thunderchief, bring it in line with SF2 at the Full-5 Merged/Latest Patch level (as of July 2012).

This mod is desinged to REPLACE any eariler SF2 update/upgrade versions of AD's aircraft that may be availalbe.

Skins remain in bmp format (as they're not excpetionally large in size), and Decal Randomization is TRUE. Damage textures are the older tga versions.

The data ini has all new FM parameters, loadouts have been 'adjusted' for Game usage (and may not reflect Real World situations, but =WILL= reflect Game World situations). New engine sound, and some other small tweeks. A new SF2 version of my 'box art' Hangar screen is included.

No weapons are included, other than the drop tanks, as I've referenced all stock 3W items.

See the "Notes" section for more info on the changes.

When 'in game', you'll see on the Aircraft Selection Drop-Down Menu

F-105G Thunderchief WW (AD)

This will differentiate this aircraft from any others you may (or may not) have.

As always, fairly easy to follow, yet detailed install instructions are included. So, please -READ- them. Also, give the "Notes" section a read too for futher explinations, clarifactions, illuminations and so forth. And notes about any SF2V campaign that may use this aircraft; some slight editing of the campaign ini WILL be necessary due to the 'name change'.

A full listing of credits, as always, is below the Install Instructions.

Good Hunting!

wrench

kevin stein

Ver.2 uploaded ... fixed/added missing control surfaces!!!

Thanks Wrench! Really appreciate what you did!!!

:drinks:

My best regards, Kodiak.

:bye:

I just realized there's a small mistake in the Data ini...I"ll get a new data ini posted tommorrow.

it'll just be a 'drop in' over the existing one. Sorry about that! Forgot some control system statements!

I like Classics Kev!

But, as I remembered, this one always seemed to me "quite faded" so I changed texture.ini settings with actual stock ones ...

Specular=0.400000

Glossiness=0.400000

Reflection=0.000000

.... and it shines, take a try!

PS We are waiting for the updated "F" too now

i second the motion for the F, both in its earlier conversion trainer guise and its later early Weasel mode.

the F is in the works

-----------

a new complete version has just been uploaded, with the corrected data ini

For thos that don't want to re-download the whole package, here's just the data ini:

just unzip and drop the F-105G_AD folder

Wrench, you might want to take a look at the fuel weights for the tanks. 450 gals should weigh in at (450Gals X 6.5 Lbs per Gal = 2925 Lbs X .4545 1329.412...Kgs). That's more than the total mass given in the Data ini. For the 450Gal tanks I'm using Mass=1450.000000 and MaxFuelAmount=1330.000000; for the 650Gal tanks Mass=2050.000000 and MaxFuelAmount=1920.000000. This should be a little closer to real-world values, I know this isn't your mistake, these are in McGunny's Ordnance Pack with the same incorrect values, in a work of that size there are bound to be mistakes. Of course, any fuel gained here is lost if you use the ThirdWire F-105D values for internal fuel... :blink:

no problemo!!...

make the corrections to the relevant drop tanks data inis, either post them as a 'field fix', or shoot them to me and I"ll add them to the F-105F pack that's in the works!!

take only a few seconds to add the camo tanks to the pak (as they're used on the EF-105F too!)

thanks brudda!!!

Wrench, I was doing a little more pokin' around on this aircraft and found some useful info on the ECM system here: http://search.yahoo....an-alq2aly.html Check the entries for the AN/ALQ-101 and AN/ALQ-105 systems; you'll see they were the same, the 105 was the 101 pod "split" and permanently mounted on the ThudG. This concurs with info at Joe Baugher's site and at AirVectors. You'll also see that both are indicated to be "noise and repeater", or Dual Mode jammers. This concurs with the game's Weapon Data ini., here's the entry for the ALQ-101:

[WeaponData133]

TypeName=ALQ-101

FullName=AN/ALQ-101 ECM Pod

ModelName=ALQ-101

Mass=213.199997

Diameter=0.334000

Length=2.760000

SubsonicDragCoeff=0.200000

SupersonicDragCoeff=0.770000

AttachmentType=USAF

SpecificStationCode=

NationName=USAF

StartYear=1968

EndYear=1991

Availability=1

BaseQuantity=2

Exported=TRUE

ExportStartYear=1973

ExportEndYear=1991

ExportAvailability=1

WeaponDataType=4

DualMode=1

StoreType=1

JammerStrength=35.000000

MinFreq=2.000000

MaxFreq=8.000000

CanJamCW=FALSE

InterfereRWR=FALSE

This also shows it to be a Dual Mode Jammer. Since the pod came out two years prior to the F-105G, I don't see anything wrong with bumping up the strength and MaxFreq values a bit; if the RWR can detect up to 10.9GHz, it's reasonable to assume they could jam those freqs as well.

Edited by SupGen

Wrench, um, what does SystemType=ARRESTER_HOOK // DELIBERATE mean and why did it straighten out the unmodified G's Hook ? "Hook" me up, dude.

iirc, it's a 'virtual' hook.

there was something in AD orignal readme, but I can't seem to find it!

edit:

okk, the hood itsefl is NOT animated at all (and it's not like we really need it ... none of the 3W runways have the emergency arresting gear)

however, if one hits the "H" key to deply it... something interestering happens (and this is not listed ANYWHERE in the data ini!!!)

the AFR probe deploys!!!

hey, that's kinda neat!

edit: ok that 's the EF 105 and 105F only with probes... the 105G don't work

edit x3 .. to make the probe work, change ARRESTOR to ARRESTER. wieird s**t!!

Edited by Wrench

Now that's really cool, and I'm off to try it in a minute, but...what I've been doing is I got your F-105G AD but I also d'loaded the original F-105F + G pack for SF1 and modified them bit by bit to match what you did with the AD. (Just trying to learn from the master! :biggrin: ) What I was referring to was that the original G's hook stuck out about 80deg to the right; when I added //DELIBERATE the hook now points dead astern. Not related? In other words deliberate just refers to the spelling of arrester? :blink: Oh well, that being the case, did you see my post above about ECM, and what do you think?

The double slash is a comment code only....everything after the double slash on that line is disregarded by the game engine.

Using the hook command was an old SF1 trick to get around the lack of direct user control of animations. That's been fixed since the Oct 08 patch. So you could assign the A/R probe to a manual animation key.

Also, depending where the pivot point is on the hook, you could actually assign it to the hook key. The game engine will animate it just fine as long as you specify the values it will rotate to.

FC

if you want to update the pods/internals .. I say Go Fer It!!!

FC said:

"The double slash is a comment code only....everything after the double slash on that line is disregarded by the game engine"

FC, thanks for the asisstance, and that's what I thought, too...only it doesn't. When // DELIBERATEis added to the line SystemType=ARRESTER_HOOK as Wrench the animation in question does not work on any of the three 105's, without it the animation works correctly on the F-105F Early and Late (hook doesn't move, refueling probe does), on the G, the hook sticks out to starboard; the animation works but both items move (hook moves to centerline and then down, probe as the others). I dunno exactly what this means, except that it's a Max issue and probably not fixable, but I'll leave that to you guys. Wrench, here's my ECM entry for the G:

[ECM]

ReferenceName=AN/ALQ-105

SystemType=ECM_JAMMER

JammerType=DUAL_MODE_JAMMER

JammerStrength=40.0

MinFreq=2.0

MaxFreq=10.9

CanJamCW=FALSE

MinExtentPosition=-0.23, 1.60, 0.74

MaxExtentPosition=0.23, 2.99, 1.15

By the way, I'm using the 66D Pit and it's much recommended, nice big RWR, all the lights work, etc., very nice.

Okay, let's start with a process of elimination.

Comment out all the hook reference entries. Make note of which animation they use. Make sure nothing else is using those animation slots.

Check all 3 aircraft in game...see if the hooks all look correct, the A/R probes don't move, and the hook command is non-functional.

Then create manual animation entries for the A/R probes. Use the entries on the Super Hornet as an example.

[AirRefuelingDoor]

SystemType=ANIMATION

InputName=ANIMATION_3

DeploymentMethod=MANUAL

AnimationTime=3.0

AnimationID=5

Once those entries are built, check all 3 aircraft again. Use the manual animation key in game...see if it only affects the A/R door.

Assuming this is good, try to find the node name for the hook mesh in the LOD (check the OUT file).

Build an entry like this in each aircraft's data.ini:

[Tailhook]

SystemType=ARRESTER_HOOK

MaxDeflection=65.0

Retractable=TRUE

DeployTime=3.5

RetractTime=2.0

ModelNodeName=Tailhook

HookArmLength=2.07

AttachmentPosition=0.0000,-5.5751,-0.6879

Note no animation is referenced at all in this entry. See if the hook command works and the hooks move correctly.

If anything is abnormal in any one of these steps, we can chase down what is wrong and what can be done.

FC

OK FC, I hope this tells you something. First, this only involves the G and the F-1-Late as the F-1-Early and Late were the same. With both manual Animation and Tailhook entries created but disabled, the hook looks good on both aircraft and nothing works (moves). With only the Animation key enabled the F-1-Late's hook looks good and only the refueling door works. On the G, the hook is 90deg Stbd and both work. With only the Tailhook (H) key enabled, on the F-1-Late only the hook moves-from astern, it rotates to the right. The G's hook is 90deg Stbd and both work.With both keys enabled, the F-1-Late's Animation key only works the refueling door and the H key only rotates the hook-from astern, it rotates to the right. On the G, both work with the H key; with the Animation key both work but disappear at full deployment. I dunno, to me this screams Max file but if you can do something with it, I will definitely be in awe.

unfortunately, ArmorDave lost the max files in a move about 6-7 years ago. He hasn't posted in any SF forum for several (3-5) years now

It is, unfortunately, what it is.

Okay, I looked at it myself.

The G's A/R door animation is definitely hardwired with the tailhook...and that animation is porked (the tailhook extends fine, but retracts sideways and stays that way).

The pivot points on all the models' hooks are porked...nothing will get them to animate correctly. So assume none of the models have tailhooks.

This is the entries all the models should share:

[AirRefuelingDoor]

SystemType=ANIMATION

InputName=ANIMATION_3

DeploymentMethod=MANUAL

AnimationTime=3.0

AnimationID=3

[Tailhook]

SystemType=ARRESTER_HOOK

MaxDeflection=0.0

Retractable=TRUE

DeployTime=0.001

RetractTime=0.001

ModelNodeName=tailhook

HookArmLength=0.000

On the 2 F models, you can comment out the entire Tailhook entry.

On the G model, under the [AirRefuelingDoor] section, reduce the AnimationTime to something very small, like 0.001.

The F models will now have properly activating A/R doors. You shouldn't see any wierdness with the tailhook, but you won't be able to use it either.

For the G model, the A/R door will more or less simply 'appear'. What this does is reduce the cooresponding tailhook animation to a blink, which then is forced back into position by the [Tailhook] entry. So, except during the actual 0.001 second of animation, the tailhook will always appear to be retracted, properly.

FC

Thanks FC, it's not that either one has any in-game utility, but the A/R door looks pretty cool, no?