I hate 3DS Max sometimes...

Besides the general bugginess while doing something, it decided to pork up a model I had been working on.

Last night, I saved a model that I had been building with nothing wrong with it.

I open it today to find it completely shredded. Mesh is distorted, normals wacked, cutouts gone...

And there was no AutoBackup because I had been working on the MiG-29...so all the backups were for that.

The only good thing was that I hadn't done a 'Collapse All' function, so I was able to go backward in the list and restore it back to a usable state. Couple of hours work...poof!

POS program....

FC

just think how many thousands of dollars more it would cost if it was stable. My hats off to you 3D guys. the time and patience you put into stuff is truly amazing. I made a few halfassed skins and that was a pain for me but the work you and the other 3d gurus have done is just incredible.

• Like 1

my fav is when MAX crashes and you can no longer open that max file you were working on :bad:

• Like 1

my fav is when MAX crashes and you can no longer open that max file you were working on :bad:

Been there, smashed some stuff because of it...

• Like 2

Wait a minute...I thought computers were supposed to make our lives easier???

:blink::crazy::hyper::tease::frantic::help:

:blowup::download:

Sorry, love to play with the smilies... :blum:

i hate it when it crashes for no reason, and the Autoback is no where to be found.

Well, I was lucky and bought the student edition for a lot cheaper.

But if I was using this program to make a living and had to pay for the full priced commercial edition, I'd be PISSED using a program that acted like this.

FC

happen to me too, i can still open the file, but if i send it to another guys its shredded.. for me its normal! No idea what gone wrong?!

Something that's different between the 2 systems environment....

Then again, I have stuff that renders fine, animates fine, but when I export it, it looks like it it was put through a jet engine....

Well, I was lucky and bought the student edition for a lot cheaper.

But if I was using this program to make a living and had to pay for the full priced commercial edition, I'd be PISSED using a program that acted like this.

FC

lucky you when my wife found out how much i shelled out for the full program, well...lets just say it wasn't very pretty :butcher:

I got my copy discounted by temporarily working at a studio that decided to dump 3ds for Maya late last year, after they already purchased several licenses for max 2011, so the boss sold them off to employees.

well thats just great. i'm starting a class using Max 2012 today, but was hoping to get a copy of '09 if i mastered this well enough. 949 IIRC on amazon, but still gotta butter someone up and wait on a couple of rounds of school money refunds before getting that.

FC how does it compare to say Sketchup (frustration wise)?

Edited by daddyairplanes

Im working since my shredded model with different stages of models, all have numbers. I set a new number for a planed change or working area. That saved my work many times

mine saves every 3 minutes so have a few to look back on and use if max throws a woblly..for instance the mig29k goes from mig29-k,max to mig29-k.max033

off topic does TW exporter work on Maya and his it more stable

i have been same has you guys crashes etc.

I always save sequentially for this very reason. If something happens I can always go back to my last save.

i randomly save with date/time embedded in file name (ie F-100D_01.08.2013.2026.max

i randomly save with date/time embedded in file name (ie F-100D_01.08.2013.2026.max

I do this too; have suffered too much heartbreak early on losing hours upon hours of work!

Using "total commander" to manage my files so you see always the date and time of the files. I realy recoment this little prog. I was never satisfied witu the windows solution.

you can transfer files easily from one hdd to another.

so you can stick with the 01 - 0x endings ;)