After reading every other article on multiple websites about this issue, I still have it.

I want to take the subtitles off, but nothing works.

I've tried the conf.ini way and that did not do anything, so I tried adjusting it to just show one line instead, no dice there either.

I also tried the Alt and mouse click but nothing. The only thing with that one that might be causing it not to work is my mouse movement moves the camera around in any view, so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it (since I dont have a cursor and can't "click on" on the text. The buttons on the mouse are not assigned to anything.

Any suggestions?

I've never tried other than simply turning off the chatter altogether. I'll try stuff today and see if I have any luck.

Thanks Jedi, never tried turning off the chatter, I have to say I like listening to all the commotion, although at the end of the missions listening to everyone ask to land and getting denied over and over again is quite annoying.

I've even tried deleting the entire conf.ini file and replacing it with the one from my backup folder, still nada. I would have thought something this trivial would have been an option in the realism portion of the options, like right next to unlimited ammo, have, turn off/on subtitles.

I did it because at times there were so many of them talking, and it would insist on playing them sequentially, that I would hear wingmen screaming they were dying quite awhile after all combat had ceased and their planes were nothing but craters.

I also couldn't help but laugh at their sticking to radio protocol even in death.

"This is 4, AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Haha, too true. I hear combat well after its been over, good point, maybe i will just turn it all off and turn up pandora. I've tried everything, i still get the text so oh well

If setting 'Nosubtitles=1' (and counterintuitively, "1" not "0" is "off", according to the SAS conf.ini guide) does not work, maybe Whitesnake's advice at Battle-fields.com here mght help?

Specifically, "Once you Edited the Conf.ini file Do Not go into IL2 Setup or Hardware Setup! This will overwrite the changes you made to the Conf.ini file!" and " If you installed the game into Program Files you may not be able to edit/change the Conf.ini file, in that case copie the Conf.ini file to your desktop, make the changes to it, and copie it back".

Also, can't find it now, but I vaguely recall when I last installed IL2-46 reading 'somewhere online' (!!!) that there was a 'hidden' conf.ini somewhere, which was the 'real' one, tho I only seem to have one conf.ini in each of my 2 IL2 installs so maybe I'm imagining that or confusing it with another sim!

Hey thanks, yeah I've read that one too. Any changes I make to the file I do have to move it to Desktop, than back. Still no dice.

The only thing I can think of is people saying use your mouse, click on the text, then right click, so on. My thing is I have no cursor in the game unless I hit "M" to view the map. During the game without the map up my mouse moves the camera around. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but Im at a loss other than that.

This Ubi forum may be where I read about a second conf.ini file; looks like I wasn't imagining it! See post 32; dunno if that will help in your case or not but, tho it's about widescreen specifically, the thread also deals with problems in making conf.ini changes stick so there may be something useful somewhere in here:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/504311-How-to-get-IL246-running-in-widescreen/page4

Yeah, still got nothing.

If its not the mouse issue than I have no idea, maybe my download from gog.com was bad? I am at a loss.

On the idea of a bad, or incomplete DL from gog.com.... While making my missions in the FMB, I've got everything done on my first one except trying to get a "point" to the mission, as in setting something to create a mission fail/success. I've read the manual and I don't have the tabs they are talking about when setting "mission perimeters". I am wondering if maybe my DL from gog.com is actually incomplete.

So it seems like the DL from gog was fu**ed and incomplete. I cleaned out my entire drive and started all over. Downloaded again, installed into something other than /program filex86, right from there I noticed a difference and saw that the actual patch updated and installed correctly. Messed with my conf.ini file and didnt have to move it from the file to desktop this time, started the game and no text.

Only bad thing is I had my first mission completed, now its gone forever. Pretty disappointing but at least the game is running like it should. Thanks for all the help and tips, looks like it was a little of everything and I had to bend and just clean out the entire thing and start over.

Argh, super frustrating but oh well, I think I can remember most of the first mission, although losing the 9 hours of build time floors me.

Glad to hear you've cracked it. Now, in the immortal words of Robert Shaw in the BoB movie, as the bombs rained down on Dispersal, 'Don't just stand there, get one up!' :biggrin:

Thanks again for the help. Good to have the game running properly. Much better now. Only issue I have is with some odd patchy shadows. Any ideas?

You found the problem. Installing it into programs or programsx86 will cause funky things if you are using Win7. I installed mine into C:/Ubisoft...

And I have mine on my D: drive, where the programs folder is without limits as well.

Basic rule of thumb is only recent games are ok in the C:\programs folder, ones made after Vista's release when the "new" way of doing things was understood. With XP and before it was understood everyone had write access to every file in that folder, so games like Il-2 were written without regard to limits on that. If you've got a game made before 2008 or so, you don't want to put it in C:programs 90% of the time.