Slushie

Mercenary Campaign In Other Theaters?

Hey guys,

I've been doing a little bit of searching through the downloads section and I haven't found any other campaigns for mercenaries like in Strike Fighters 2.

Basically, I own Strike Fighters 2 and Strike Fighters 2 Europe, and I would love to have a mercenary styled campaign in the European theater of war. Something about having to money manage equipment is addicting for me. I do let's plays on Youtube and I find that having to deal with money adds further challenges and deeper interest for the audience too. However, my ground rule is that if I die in a campaign I have to start over or start a new campaign. While fortunately Strike Fighters 2 offers several different campaigns featuring the mercenaries, the desert setting may get old fast. So this is why I'm interested in finding the same style of campaign, but in a different setting

Is this not possible? Is a mod available? I've probably missed it in my searches, and I thank everyone in advance for their help!

extract a campaing ini from SF2E or donwload one of man available

and in a unit

add these lines

[AirUnit008]

AircraftType=some type for aircraft check both gen 1 and gen 2 KB

UnitName=something

ForceID=1<-- or 2 if want the red to use mercs

Nation=MERC

MercenaryUnit=TRUE

PlayerOnly=TRUE or FALSE < in false they flight mission any way in TRUE they only apear if you selecet them

StartingFunds=100000< how much $$$$$$

Thank you so much!!! This is great. I appreciate it!

A easier way is to purchase the Campaign Customizer DLC. It will let you fly any flyable A/C for any side in any Campaign with and without Mercenary Options.

A easier way is to purchase the Campaign Customizer DLC. It will let you fly any flyable A/C for any side in any Campaign with and without Mercenary Options.

Now that is awesome. I think it may work better for me as I don't have the .Cat File extractor and such. I'll be taking a visit to Thirdwire to look for this. Thanks everyone for the help. Love these forums. I've only had positive experiences with it.

Hate to bump AND double post, but while it's somewhat related I figured I shouldn't start a new topic. Anyways, is it possible to adjust the prices of equipment and planes in mercenary mode? $880 dollars for 8 sidewinders and $35,000 for a whole new jetfighter seems a little, well, cheap. Factor in that there's a limited supply and you'd figure things should cost more. Back in the 60's An F-4 Phantom cost the government around $600,000 or around $6 million in today's money I believe I read somewhere.

I finally found and downloaded the .CAT file extractor and such and it looks like there's a bunch of different possibilities through the ini files. Thanks in advance.

The aircraft price is set by several aircraft performace values, like range and who knows what else. The game takes those numbers and pooof.. makes a price :skull:

Same for weapons ... missile performace, range etc .. better stuff costs more, generally.

But I once had a 2000-lb conventional bomb for $ 1000 or so, and a nuke for $ 500 ... good deal... :skull:

But hey.. fuel is FREE !!!!

• Like 2

Lol! Niiice. Okay well thank you very much, Crusader I appreciate your help. It's good to know that at least they aren't charging anything for those 9B Sidewinders. Only ever got slow moving Beagles with 'em.

Cocas: Then learn to use them. I get an average 6/10 hit ratio with them. 9/10 vs Bombers.

Cocas: Then learn to use them. I get an average 6/10 hit ratio with them. 9/10 vs Bombers.

I have a lot to learn myself then, as I've yet to get a MiG kill with a 9B in the two missions I've flown. I nailed two of four bombers with the sidewinders and insulted a MiG 17 pilot by sailing several past him with supposedly good tones. You using the late 50's model? I think the Sidewinders improve considerably by the 70's but I'm very likely wrong.

i to hit some migs i just need to get no manovering(turning) a be very close to them

70´s are very large improvent yes 9L and forward you can get 10/10 sometimes

but remenber im guns guns guns kind guy!

I have a lot to learn myself then, as I've yet to get a MiG kill with a 9B in the two missions I've flown. I nailed two of four bombers with the sidewinders and insulted a MiG 17 pilot by sailing several past him with supposedly good tones. You using the late 50's model? I think the Sidewinders improve considerably by the 70's but I'm very likely wrong.

You are not. From the H model onward, they are capable to engage fast-movers. Otherwise, save your IRMs for the big boys and use guns on the smaller ones. The _only_ exeption is if the enemy are retreating, then the AI usually does not wish to expend fuel by using countermeasures, instead counting on their crusie speed and any comrades left in the fight to keep you from picking them off.

If you are unsure what you can use a Early Missile on, a good rule is "One engine no, two engines yes, four or more; doom galore".

Edited by JonathanRL

Getting hits with the 9-B isn't that hard, you just can't rush it. If you're turning, you've got to get your nose (and by extension, the missile seeker) out in front of your target by whatever means you have available, whether it's pulling on the pole, yo-yo's, or selling your first born child. Once you've done that, and you've got a good tone, ease off on the stick; you need to be pulling less than 2.5 Gs or so to be in firing parameters. It also helps immensely if you can develop a "sixth sense" for when those MiGs are about to reverse their turn - I'm serious, you can get a feel for when ole Ivan is about to give up on turning left and go right or vice-versa. This will give you a minute when the target isn't pulling a lot of Gs because the 9-B can't do that either. If you can do either of those two things before you fire it will improve your hit percentages immensely, if you can do both you'll be sending an AIM-9B up his tailpipe almost every time. Oh yeah, you gotta do this without getting "target lock", or you'll get an Atoll up your tailpipe!

SupGen and JonathanRL, you guys are gonna make a fighter pilot out of me yet! You realize with this kind of awesome advice and info, my Let's Plays will start to get boring as I won't die in just a few missions and people wont wanna watch! LOL. :assassin:

As for now, as it sit's in the early '60's in my current Let's Play campaign I don't think the Paranians have any missile capable fighter craft. Only encountered Beagles and MiG-17's. However, when they do get them, I'll be concerned because honestly other than a few off-screen missions mainly to adjust control layouts, and familiarize myself with very basic jet operation in-game, everything I've ever done in Strike Fighters 2 has been during the recording of my Let's Play. In other words, it's quite literally a blind playthrough. I don't know anything about jet combat. Before this game I've played Rise of Flight and have banked lots of hours into Flight Simulator X in bush planes. Way too civilian for my own good so I'm going to be cut to ribbons in no time. Especially since I think the F-100(A? The version you receive in the '59 campaign with no radar) isn't equipable with flares or chaff and I have no experience dodging missiles yet.

I'm perusing the manual now on Thirdwire's website to learn about supply status too, and if resupplies happen because I noticed in my last mission that our supply levels are at 47%.

any F-100 his great man no F-100 has radar iirc to get you need F-4C my advice load the gun pod asap.

has for the 9b best his like SupGen says.

my problem at moment his to many 3d max hours to fewe Sf2 hours!

That's why I wouldn't ever be a modder. Not only do computer problems and stuff not working the way I need it to cause my short temper to flair up and make me rip my hair out, but you spend a lot of time working and less time playing. And, of course, I have the artistic ability and computer know-how of a dead gerbil... :crazy: