Been working on this for about a year. Yes she's got a burner swapped out the J52 for a F404-GE-402 very similar measurments. However what I may do in the future is use the tailpipe extension from the A-4H. I can only get MACH 1.15 out of her frame still. I've tried all the tricks there is just something in the SF2 world GOD that will not allow this plane to go faster. It was never about making this plane go MACH 2, I was just curious to see what she could do. It was never about top speeds anyhow just more thrust being able to keep high sub MACH numbers up for (ACM) dogfighting and maneuvering with heavy weapon loads, cause lets face it the scooter is slick and quick, but when you start whipping the ponies the speed drops off quick. Yes she can get gas hungry quick when dogfighting the big key is you need that 300 gallon center fuel tank for all load outs. I compared this project to what Carroll Shelby's 427 Cobra, take a small fast little vehicle and put in a more powerfull power plant . I changed out the HUD, cockpit, radar, added some contemporary weapons. Removed the colt 20 mm cannons added a(

) GAU-19 .50 calibur electrically driven gatling gun to the port side, ammo would be carried on the empty 20 mm cannon weapon area on the starboard side. I think she could give an F-18 Rhino a run for the money.

FA-4K SuperKAHUhawk1.JPG

FA-4K SuperKAHUhawk2.JPG

FA-4K SuperKAHUhawk3.JPG

Edited by MAKO69
  • Like 2

while its understandable this is a what if, i tink M1.15 is pushin it for top speed on the airframe. there were studies to swap out the J52 with the F404, tho non afterburning would honestly give better than stock performance with better than before fuel consumption. you have Sparrows loaded, is it being a killer for another a/c's hunter? need a bigger radar than that Scooter can hold in its nose. might wanna swap for AMRAAMs. finally why 50 cal? when the Isrealis got rid of the 20mm Colts they swapped with 30 mm DEFAs. despite the fact you used a gatling gun, weight of lead can be as important as volume of lead. other wise looks really good. just givin my two cents, your free to spend it or fling it in a fountain as you wish.

Applying the F-16 MLU radar update to the AGP-66NZ radar the A-4K Kahu already had should enable it to fire semi-active radar guided missiles along with active radar guided missiles? My suggestion for the cannon replacements would be the 27mm Mauser BK-27, it should fit in the old colt cannon bays without to much trouble and you could have two. You could also put the old avionics hump back on but use it as an extra internal fuel tank if fuel is an issue for the new engine.

Applying the F-16 MLU radar update to the AGP-66NZ radar the A-4K Kahu already had should enable it to fire semi-active radar guided missiles along with active radar guided missiles? My suggestion for the cannon replacements would be the 27mm Mauser BK-27, it should fit in the old colt cannon bays without to much trouble and you could have two. You could also put the old avionics hump back on but use it as an extra internal fuel tank if fuel is an issue for the new engine.

I knew radar wouldn't be an issue because of the origonal KAHU upgrade, I may try that cannon option. I chose a gatling 50 cal because it is a very versatile round with many new options. There a lot of rounds available several types of anti armor, anti armor explosive, the list goes on.

Edited by MAKO69

I would say that your main issue would be control - at over M1.0 I would question the pitch authority of those tiny elevators - Chuck Yeager found a similar thing (IIRC) - hence why fast jets have all moving horizontal stabs so you can still pitch up and down.

Obviously the airframe does play a big part in getting faster - the MiG-17F had a burner but was limited to ~M0.96 - the thing pitched up near the M1.0 and had trouble going over it. (well according to Y Gordons book)

Edited by MigBuster
  • Like 1

The Israeli Elta EL/M-2032 Radar is suppose to be able to fit in a Skyhawk, in fact the old Kuwaiti A-4KU Skyhawks that are now used by the Brazilian Navy (and now renamed AF-1) are rumoured to be possibly receiving the EL/M-2032 in the upgrade they are currently undergoing.

I quite often play around with real world and fictional Skyhawk upgrades so here is a few bits and pieces you might find useful. I use the Kestrel cockpit as an updated A-4 Cockpit by removing the side stick controller, changing some of the instruments to get rid of any thing to do with moving nozzles etc and changing the view angles/ position etc.

I've uploaded my A-4K Kahu cockpit/ avionics, the cockpit/ avionics from my 'interpritaion' of the Brazilian A-4KU/ AF-1 upgrade which has the Elta EL/M-2032 radar and an 'A-4 Body' texture from my A-4SU Super Skyhawk with its quadruple countermeasure launchers along with the required changes to the data.ini.

The A-4K APG-66NZ has the TWS mode enabled but I have changed the symbology and function to represent the 'Situational Awareness Mode' (SAM) function that the some of the APG-66 radars had.

A-4K Kahu Skyhawk w APG-66NZ.7z

AF-1 Skyhawk w Elta ELM-2032.7z

A-4SU Skyhawk w extra CM launchers.7z

post-59028-0-88910500-1358286246_thumb.jpg

post-59028-0-31566800-1358286256_thumb.jpg

post-59028-0-64517500-1358286269_thumb.jpg

Edited by dtmdragon

The Israeli Elta EL/M-2032 Radar is suppose to be able to fit in a Skyhawk, in fact the old Kuwaiti A-4KU Skyhawks that are now used by the Brazilian Navy (and now renamed AF-1) are rumoured to be possibly receiving the EL/M-2032 in the upgrade they are currently undergoing.

I quite often play around with real world and fictional Skyhawk upgrades so here is a few bits and pieces you might find useful. I use the Kestrel cockpit as an updated A-4 Cockpit by removing the side stick controller, changing some of the instruments to get rid of any thing to do with moving nozzles etc and changing the view angles/ position etc.

I've uploaded my A-4K Kahu cockpit/ avionics, the cockpit/ avionics from my 'interpritaion' of the Brazilian A-4KU/ AF-1 upgrade which has the Elta EL/M-2032 radar and an 'A-4 Body' texture from my A-4SU Super Skyhawk with its quadruple countermeasure launchers along with the required changes to the data.ini.

The A-4K APG-66NZ has the TWS mode enabled but I have changed the symbology and function to represent the 'Situational Awareness Mode' (SAM) function that the some of the APG-66 radars had.

I will look these over thanks for the ini info

I would say that your main issue would be control - at over M1.0 I would question the pitch authority of those tiny elevators - Chuck Yeager found a similar thing (IIRC) - hence why fast jets have all moving horizontal stabs so you can still pitch up and down.

Obviously the airframe does play a big part in getting faster - the MiG-17F had a burner but was limited to ~M0.96 - the thing pitched up near the M1.0 and had trouble going over it. (well according to Y Gordons book)

I wasn't worried about top end just curious how fast it would go. I know the plane would need a fully moving tail plane for super sonic flight. I just wanted the plane to have a fighting chance.