Hi all,

I have a problem whith engine sounds in SF2.All WW2 engines run as a high pitched whine rather than the correct noise.When I go into my mod sounds folder all play just as they shoulkd.How come they don't run properly in game ,is it cos i don't have a seperate WW2 mod folder ???

I've only used Strike Fighters 1, I think the engine speed affects the play speed of the Wav. sound file. In Strike Fighters 1 this would be in the aircraft's DATA.ini. file under [Engine]. Look for: SlowPropRPM, FastPropRPM, MaxPropRPM. I have seen engine RPM speeds used, not Prop speeds. Some WW2 fighters had a gear reduction for prop speed.

XIV Spitfire

Min. Engine RPM in Fligh = 1800

Max. Engine RPM @ Takeoff = 2,750

Propeller gear reduction ratio is about 2:1 (Divide by 2).

Min Prop RPM in flight = 900

Max Porp RPM @ Takeoff = 1375

This might lower the play speed of the sound file.

I do not know if this would work in Strike Fighters 2. Back Up All Files.

Best of luck!

nope, the RPM in the ENGINE sections really don't do all that much (although, some engine wavs WILL pitch up under full power)

the SOUNDS section of the data ini is the only control for what sound is tied to what event

[sound]

EngineSoundName=WW2_Engine_US_Allision_V1710

AfterburnerSoundName=

DamagedEngineSoundName=

FlapsSoundName=Flaps

AirbrakesSoundName=Airbrakes

GearsSoundName=Gear

having a seperate WW2 mods folder (although this is MORE than highly reccomended!!!) has nothing to do with it.

I'd start checking my sound card for newer drivers. Kinda hard to make a diagnosis without system specs

System is windows 7- 64 bit with a realtek sound card - says has most up to date drivers installed - Full SF2 merged install

so, no sound work at all?? even on the stock jets? Or those work ok??

Jets work fine,effects work fine but no props work properly - i have tried using just SF2 I and the P-51d was fine - same aircraft in merged sf2 sounds like a wasp !!!

try the AvHistory WW2 sounds, and see if there's a difference.

the only sound issues I've ever experienced -and this is with ALL aircraft regardless of era- is the occaisonal engine sounds disappearing. It's been doing that for severla years; and I'm not the only one reporting it. They come right back after you pause and unpause the game.

you've never said which particular aircraft have the issue (the who built them kinda thing)

out of curiosity, what is the /Sound folder called? in SF2 is should be Sounds (plural)

Edited by Wrench

out of curiosity, what is the /Sound folder called? in SF2 is should be Sounds (plural)

Sounds plural the same thing has terrains and not terrain folder any more

It is all the prop aircraft in my mod folder - various spitfires,corsairs,mosquitos,bf109's,fw 190's - you name it , I've installed it ! The folder is called sounds and when I access it all the sounds play through media player just fine.

I finally found the problem! at least in my system. It was a corrupt file, JetEngine.wav (388 KB). If I remove it, all my prop sounds are working perfectly.

I hope this help to you too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2