Nesher

can you hear the Music?

nice. I guess those "freedom fighters" will have to go back to knifing and raping joggers in between rocket attacks. hope it works as well as they are selling it.

Has any other country or operator ordered this system? The device seems cool, but how many times did the passanger jet (or any other kind of civilian jet) got shot by shoulder fired missiles since these weapons exist. I only know for two or three incidents in last 50 years, and only one was fatal. USSR and USA together have shot down more civilian airplanes (including liners full of passangers), than any terrorist could ever dream of. Again, Israeli hi-tech industry is some of the best in the world, but is there a market for this device beside Israel?

thanks for the info FC, didn't know that one!

hrc, of course there is a market... terrorists are not only targeting Israeli planes

2003 in Iraq a DHL plane was hit by mobile SAM, they managed to land in the end but with the Guardian or Music they could have gotten home without a scratch!

Has any other country or operator ordered this system? The device seems cool, but how many times did the passanger jet (or any other kind of civilian jet) got shot by shoulder fired missiles since these weapons exist. I only know for two or three incidents in last 50 years, and only one was fatal. USSR and USA together have shot down more civilian airplanes (including liners full of passangers), than any terrorist could ever dream of. Again, Israeli hi-tech industry is some of the best in the world, but is there a market for this device beside Israel?

Crikey well in FCs Wiki link it says:

"According to the U.S. State Department, over 40 civilian aircraft have been hit with MANPADS since 1970, with about 400 passengers and crewmembers killed"

But then again its Wiki so who knows

I think that installment of such devices an all commercial jets in States that those senators/congressman are proposing is unnecessary and that threat is exaggerated. It seems like two high level politicians are lobbying for certain private arms producer.

But then again its me so who knows. :)

I think planes that fly domestic routes only need not bother. Those flying int'l routes should be judged by risk ie flying to Australia or Japan or the UK is hardly different than domestic. Going to Africa, the Middle East, SW Asia? Sure, for those.

However, will the corporate men in the airlines give such systems a go? They might prefer not to expend the money, if the possibility of loosing an airplane and having to pay damages (highly doubtful to blame the company on a MANPADS strike) is going to be more expensive than the system itself, while it could be argued that it is another unpractical product by defence contractors willing to expand markets. Mass production along military models could lower the price, but how common would military and civilian versions be?

It would be wonderful to develop the device futher so that the laser also fires back into the faces & balls of the terrorists.......

It would be wonderful to develop the device futher so that the laser also fires back into the faces & balls of the terrorists.......

If only....

Is it just me or does this song come to mind when you see this ???

:dance2:

• Like 1