Sign in to follow this  
JediMaster

Speilberg and Hanks To Make 3rd WWII Miniseries

My following comment is by no means meant as disrespect to the men aforementioned.

Spielberg can shove a mighty 8 up his.....

Enough of Spielberg WWII movies and his love affair with hanks. I say make a new movie showing the wehrmacht kicking some ass.

Edited by Atreides

I would rather see a movie about the Finnish Front myself.

I'm sorry, but the Band of Brothers series set the bar for all WWII documentaries. Glad someone keeps giving that era a look. I hope this inspires more of these types of programs instead of the BS reality TV we've got now. As far as Finland or Russian Front, maybe if people within those countries would gather the material, there would be more.

-Jeff

Yes, I'm sure a Finnish Front miniseries would garner a significant number of viewers in Finland and Russia. Don't think it would go over big in the west, though.

Don't think it would go over big in the west, though.

You would be surprised how many subjects that got into movies that that have been said about. It all comes down to execution.

Funny thing is, I clearly remember I had vivid dream about me watching series named "Tailgunner" starring Hanks many years ago, somewhere around time Band of Brothers was a big thing on TV

anyway, good news I think :ok:

You would be surprised how many subjects that got into movies that that have been said about. It all comes down to execution.

Look at Red Tails. That failed, and it was US pilots, Mustangs and B-17s vs 109s.

With fiction, anything goes. When you go historical, though, people have a connection to it or they don't.

There was such a film, "Karelia", about Finnish bike skirmishers. It was well done, IIRC.

If Red Tails failed, it was because of the crappy CGI overload. After that, I´m glad Lucas won´t get to mess with the third trilogy of Star Wars

I'd rather like a series about one special unit, in the same time one of the best known and most discreet in the US military, in the same time a cause for pride and shame for America: the 442nd 'Nisei' Regiment, made of Americans or Hawaiians of Japanese ascendency. They served on the hottest battlefields of Italy and France, with the highest loyalty and devotion, even while their Japanese-born parents were ignominiously dispossessed and interned in camps by the government they swore allegiance to. And through the blood poured, through the most incredible achievements on the most impossible objectives assigned, they ultimately became the most decorated unit in the US Army - even while their superiors were reluctant to simply admit their existence, in a general climate of anti-Jap racism. American values and heroism, bitterness and crual familial fates: true, there is some rich matter for a rich production. I wonder if some serious work has ever been produced about this legendary unit?

AT::

I say make a new movie showing the wehrmacht kicking some ass.

One of my faves is the first, as far as I know, anti~war movie All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) told from the German view. I should get the original book by Remarque.

I wonder if some serious work has ever been produced about this legendary unit?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043590/

Besides this, i recall nothing. It seems you are not the only one with the idea:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043590/board/thread/95095549

Edited by macelena

AT::

One of my faves is the first, as far as I know, anti~war movie All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) told from the German view. I should get the original book by Remarque.

It would be a very violent and gory film if made accurately. I read it in school decades ago and I still remember the horrific injuries suffered by not just men but even the horses.

This could be good news, in theory. Not too many quality movies or series about air war available. But it won't be easy to reach the standards set by Band of Brothers. It's one of my all time favourite TV series and really almost perfect in every way. In my opinion, The Pacific was too uneven and only had a few really good episodes, so these guys don't always get it right. They could easily ruin this series by making it a soap opera, for example.

Well, I'll be watching Red Tails this weekend so I'll see what the current "state of the art" in that arena is. My hopes aren't high.

Red tails was horrible JM but, I suppose you'll find out yourself good cast though poor writing.

Yes, I'll be watching it tonight. I don't know if I'll watch the whole thing or not...