I want to make another NA install but when I copy the existing on from a stand alone or from a full merged instal it won't work. if I make a comletely new NA only install it will load my main NA install unless I rename the shortcut,but when I rename the exe/shrtcut it loads as SF2 even if it's not installed then when I try to start a mission it freezes. I have tried about 12 ways to get a new NA install and all I get no matter what way I try is it loads the main install or it freezes. Anyone have any of these issues? the reason I'm trying this is I'm trying to make a WW2 Pacific install. Unless I use the NA exe not only will naval maps not work but they are not even showing. the minute I change the naval map to false they show. if I use any othe exe file from the SF2 series carrier maps wont show.

Edited by whiteknight06604

I have a full five-merged install and only run NA as my game of choice so just if you're trying for a WWII install I'd just remove any modern jets, OR rename one of the exe's and it'll create a specific EXE and like folders (there is an article in the KB on how to do this as well.

I made a copy of my full merged install removed all the modern planes. then changed the names of the exe to pacific. hit it and it runs as SF2 not NA. if I don't change the name it opens the old install. so I made a "pacific folder" then installed the games from scratch as a full merged. hit the NA exe and it still loads the old game.If I change that exe,s name it loads as SF2 and still no naval maps showing. then I tried to force the issue and just make a new "pacific folder" and installed NA only. if I leave the exe name original it once again loads the old full merged game, if I change the exe name it freezes. :(

I guess I don't quite understand your desire for a "NA only" install. I agree with EricJ that you should be able to build a new mod folder for WWII like you would any other mod. But as an alternative do you have your original NA install file from TW? Why not just run that and install to a fresh program folder?

I've got the following:

SF2

SF2V

SF2E

SF2E + Exp 2

SF2I

SF2I + Exp 1

SF2NA

SF2 Merged (all of the above)

Basically, I run 8 discrete installs....the idea is that I can test my mods in any enviroment to see what works or doesn't.

What I did was run each install separately in it's own directory, then copied the directories (not the mod directories, but the actual program directories). I then uninstalled all of them, then reinstalled a Merged setup under SF2 Merged as the directory. Then ran each exe to build the mod directories.

Within each mod directory, I altered the Version.ini to only show TRUE for the specific exe files needed, then made the Version.ini read only.

Here's the weird thing...if I run (say the SF2V) the standalone exe, pointing at the default mod directory, it only shows the stuff available to a stand alone version of SF2V. If I run the merged version of the SF2V exe, pointing at the same mod directory, it shows ALL of the available stuff in a merged install, overriding the Version.ini file.

Don't know why it works, but it does. And doing a standard copy/rename exe for the various exes (standalone or merged) results in mod install with the proper objects/terrains available.

FC

I have a separate SF2NA + SF2E install as well - I just installed them to a different location by changing the paths when installing it on the install box.

In my case I didn't want some of the NA features in the older games.

I, for requirement of some testing, made stand-alone SF2:Europe install while back and ran into buckload of issues with it, since then I recommend just having full-merged install, and just copy the exe (NA preferably) and make custom install out of it.

WhiteKnight, you can, as stated above, simply erase (or better move to sub-folder like _original_planes) all the default aircraft, same with groud objects (thought I'd leave those as these are)

my need is I can't get any carrier opps to work except in an install thet runs from NA. if it loads as anything other than NA the game won't even recognize and terrains set as Naval True. the second I change the true to false the terrain shows. I have carrier opps in my "full merged but any copies they fail to work.

I'm prob not being clear( acommon thing for me) I have a fully funtioning full merged I use as my main install. I also have a KAW install. I wanted to make a pacific install.I copied my full merged and changed the names of the folder . I can't get it to load as "NA" if I change the name of the exe. if I leave the name original it's loading the older install mod folder not the pacific one. if I load NA alone into a folder and try to run it as "pacific" it freezes. If I leave the exe labled as NA once again is loading the old install

lol ok I figured I'd try again...did everything the same. works lol I just don't get this game sometimes...10 years down the road and I find that the game is a stubborn as a mule,only want to do what you ask it to do when it's good and ready to........lol

so, what the deal? How hard can it be? (covered in the KB, by the way!!)

you just copy/paste the NA.exe BACK into the core install location, -ti'll show up as

StrikeFighters2 NorthAtlantic - Copy.exe

then, you simply rename it to what you want. Create new shortcut to that exe, change the icon if you want, run it, and mod that newly created folder.

everytime you want to play that particular 'era/, just use that shortcut

remember:

copy/pasting MODS folders don't do nothing; you have to have the executable for that particular install

Edited by Wrench

problem is I DID that about 20 times in every variation posible. and it was a no go. What I was doing with the mods folder was nothing. I was copying the game. and even did fresh installs...nothing. game was confused in someway. I have made prob 50 or 60 seperate installs over the years and 99% of the time no problems at all. this time something somewhere was just crossed in some way.

And you

I just did it for WWII install,using July2012 installer but cant get Solomons terrain or campaign to show up yet?

And you never will in a simple SF2NA-only install. The Solomons terrain requires files from a other titles, not to mention the fact that it may not have been updated to SF2 standards.

@usafphantom2: Solomons do work in merged install, Jul12, without noticeable errors, if any, tested in SF2-all merged with my tileset/treemod and Jonathan's campaign, also in separate WW2 install

Edited by Stary

trust me, solomons V3 works GREAT in SF2. It's only lacking the carrier base coding (NavalMap=TRUE) and the waterbmp with the carrier stations (and there would be only one for USN ... but would be VERY close to The WALL which is why I never added it). In the case of most of the PTO terrains (Solomons, Phillipines, Okinawa, Darwin) they REQUIRE the VietnamSEA cat, even though each of those terrains has their specific tilesets included within the terrain folder.

whatever issues USAFP2 is having is something caused at his end, as has been discussed in the Missions/Campaigns Forum

Fubar said:

And you never will in a simple SF2NA-only install

this is 100% TRUE.

Now, you can MAKE it NA only, by

1) not flying on any other map but IcelandNA

2) deleting all non essential aircraft, groundobjects and whatnots. and that would be more work than it's work, imo

Simply by design, ALL SF2 game installs (read: mods folders) run from ANY of the exes will ALWAYS have all the items from all the games avialable.

This has been asked and answered hundreds of times...

It's because ...

SF2

SF2:V

SF2:E

SF2:I

SF2:NA

all use the same 'core files'; dlls, wavs, ini, cats, etc. You wanna talk about a major 'reach around', this is it.

Is there something "different" about the SF2NA.exe? Nothing I've seen and experimentated with has DISproven the fact that, YES there is. It seems to be releated to shipboard basing of Naval aircraft (and in some cases, USMC birds too).

The same terrain(s) in SF2 will NOT work as advertised, or built as they do in SF2NA, or a mods folder built from the SF2NA.exe. The best example of this is Cuba OTC+; locks/feeezes at anywhere from 70-90% loading in SF2. The same terrain, when placed in SF2NA loads right up (well, after a short wait due to someone cramming millions of items into the targets.ini :wink: ) and works as desinged.

So, don't know what else to say!

Edited by Wrench

Why dont you just edit the Version.INI of the mod folder you want the SF2NA-ONLY install and change the properties to read only? something like this?

[Version]

BuildDate=Jul 2012

StrikeFighters2=FALSE

StrikeFighters2 Vietnam=FALSE

StrikeFighters2 Europe=FALSE

StrikeFighters2 Israel=FALSE

StrikeFighters2 Exp1=FALSE

StrikeFighters2 Exp2=FALSE

StrikeFighters2 NorthAtlantic=TRUE

StrikeFighters2 Exp3=FALSE

I think this way the game will only look at the CAT files from NA...

try it, and report back!!