Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

New year, new desktop wallpaper, same weight loss program

Well Gents, as many of you know last year was the year I finally got serious and brought my weight back down closer to where it should be. When I stepped on the scale January 2nd of 2012 and saw that I was nearly 248 pounds something had to be done. So, with an image of the trim French ace George Guynemer serving as inspiration I took on my 1,200-calories-a-day menu and an exercise program that included calisthenics, isometrics, and a lot of vigorous walking. And, in August last, I hit my goal weight of 186 pounds and maintained it for three months. :bb:

I then went to see my doctor who was very pleased at my success and was more animated in his congratulations than any doctor I'd ever seen be animated about anything. However, as doctors seem particularly fond of giving with one hand whilst taking with the other, he went on to say that given my age, build, and BMI I should, ideally, be down around 175 or so. Feh ... what do doctors know. :beee:

I said I would think about it but that I intended to take a respite from all the dieting for the last couple of months of the year, what with the holidays coming up as well as half-a-dozen different family birthdays. So I quit counting calories but did keep up with my exercises and vowed I would step on the scale again January 2nd of 2013.

YIKES! 60+ days of parties, rich foods, and winter weather took their toll with a far greater and swifter vengeance than I would have imagined. I knew my pants were starting to feel a bit snug and after New Year's day the scale told me why. Up 21 pounds from where I had been when I visited the doctor! Sooooooooo, it was back to the program. I chose a new inspiration for 2013, British ace Albert Ball, and built a new desktop to honour the young hero and to get myself pumped each day about hitting my new goal of 174 pounds, (I am going to assume doctors do know something). I also made a medal that I add a palm to for each week I lose weight and I hope to see it silly with laurels by the time I am through.

I've already shed 12 pounds of the holiday weight and am really stoked about this again. :smile:

Lou_2013_Wallpaper_001.jpg

Here's to being the best we all can be!

:drinks: (plain iced tea in those mugs for now Gents)

Lou

Good for you, Lou. We know you can do it. I've just started a prgramme too. The holiday season had the same effect on me but not as bad as your increase - shame on you. :wink:

Yes, shame on me Sir. But my Gawd it was fun ... and delicious. :biggrin:

Best of luck with your program as well Paul, you will succeed!

Lou, that new desktop looks top notch, Sir - you could work as a graphic designer or web artist instead of all your driving through Dakota.

And 12 pounds is also very good!

I also have started slimming again after Xmas and New Year, and I was surprised yesterday:

I have a black waistcoat since years, which I couldn't button up anymore since a long time -

and yesterday I found I could! Isn't it great, how modest we get with age?

Good on you Olham! Yes, with age should come a certain amount of modesty, and more for some of us than others, (me being among the 'some'). And interesting that you should mention outerwear. My reward to myself when I hit my goal this year, (apart from the leaner me), will be a new A-2 leather flight jacket. And a good quality one too, not one of those cheap knock-offs. :smile:

Yes indeed, something very much like that. My old one is getting far too big and baggy for me now. :smile:

Lou, that new desktop looks top notch, Sir - you could work as a graphic designer or web artist instead of all your driving through Dakota.

I second that view. The brass cornerpieces are a lovely touch and the two levels of drop-shadow on the RFC wings very well executed.

Many thanks Dej and Olham for the kudos on my new wallpaper, it means a lot coming from artists such as you Gents.

Good on you Olham! Yes, with age should come a certain amount of modesty, and more for some of us than others, (me being among the 'some'). And interesting that you should mention outerwear. My reward to myself when I hit my goal this year, (apart from the leaner me), will be a new A-2 leather flight jacket. And a good quality one too, not one of those cheap knock-offs. :smile:

Oh why settle for that when you could wear a speedo on the beach!!! :biggrin: