Sign in to follow this  
Julhelm

So, uh, Ace Combat Assault Horizon is out on PC now

Steam product page

Been playing through the tutorial mission and the title sequence and so far it seems entertaining enough. Certainly much better production values compared to HAWX.

Edited by Julhelm

Well, not really into spending 30 euros on something I would probably find rather dumb. Waiting for price to drop a little before I try it. Besides, busy flying for the Finns in Il-2.

Well you did spend 30 euros on that disaster of a broken game NWAC didn't you?

I for one enjoy these types of arcade romps for what they are as long as they're inspired and AC is the 'original' so it has to be good <_<

Well you did spend 30 euros on that disaster of a broken game NWAC didn't you?

No, I did not. I spent 10. Considering the retail price was 20, I suspect you got ripped off. Furthermore, the money spent was on a game that is actually inventive and tried to do something that has not been done since 1999. Not to mention I actually did play it for a rather long time and while the game did have some serious issues, It was not anywhere near the level people usually set for "Broken".

Not to mention it was fixed rather quickly.

I for one enjoy these types of arcade romps for what they are as long as they're inspired and AC is the 'original' so it has to be good <_<

So do I. Just not "30 euros" much.

Edited by JonathanRL

I will wait for this HAWX 3rd opus.

Been playing through the tutorial mission and the title sequence and so far it seems entertaining enough. Certainly much better production values compared to HAWX.

...give it some time. You'll experience the monumental suck that is AC:AH. After seeing the 'enhanced' version on Steam, it made me feel better knowing that I only wasted $14 on The War Z, rather than $35 on the CoD-iest, and worst, version of AC yet. It kills me because I loved it before the Xbox release.

Maybe the next one will be not-cod and on pc? That said, it cannot possibly be worse than HAWX2 which was downright awful.

OK so I got the opportunity to try it and...

It's actually kind of cool, cut scenes and all, makes it a somewhat new experience for flight - GAMES

I don't even mind the super-arcade 150 missile load, dogfight mode and other scripted stuff like that, it has it's own way of being fun.

BUT!

The controls are beyond F'ed up, seriously this should not had passed the beta testing like that!

Stick is completely unusable you can put it away and go with the keyboard which can do the job much better although still takes some time getting used to.

Now don't get me wrong I didn't expect flight dynamics to show any kind of fidelity just having the basic 4 commands work - ailerons, elevator, rudder and throttle, unfortunately that is not the case, you can't execute the 360 roll at all, also every time you bank as soon as you let it go, plane automatically levels out - WTF????!??? Rudder is completely absent, elevator jerky and barely usable - that's all with the stick, works better with the keyboard once you beat out the fact that you played a bit more serious flight games out of your system because flying here is not what you are used for that term to mean. Flight assist was off all the time, don't know what happens if you turn it on, just shoot probably.

Anyway, like the game, the idea, the concept, absolutely f'in hate the way controls work and nearly complete absence of at the very least vaguely believable flight dynamics...

You need to set the controls to "classic" instead of "optimal", then it behaves like it should. AFAIK they changed the control scheme from the old games probably because the game mechanics are different. The old ones are more traditional dogfighting games whereas this one is clearly Call of Duty with airplanes which I have to say I love. I'm actually enjoying it quite a lot so far after some 4-5 missions. The dogfight mode becomes much easier when you figure out it's all about throttle control and timing the C key to perform 'parry' maneuvers when someone gets on your six.

Thx buddy, going to change the controls now, I totally dig the storyline stuff and everything too just had issues with controls...

requiring DFM to kill certain targets is stupid

It's the major new feature so it stands to reason they want you to use it. Besides, it's more fun compared to standard endless turnfights like HAWX 2.