Sign in to follow this  
SayethWhaaaa

More new Chinese aircraft...

So in the last couple of weeks, the Chinese have supposedly flown their new STOVL aircraft, the J-18 Red Eagle. And in the Last few days, they flown their new heavy lifter, the J-20. The J-20 has much the same configuration as the C-17, although with very small power plants (similar to the C-141), but it's the J-18 that intrigues me. I've heard different sources say it's general layout is similar to the Su-33/J-15, which would make the STOVL aspect pretty difficult to achieve without some major redesigning. But then, I've heard other sources say and show what is apparently the J-18 from head, and it looks much like the J-31/F-35 layout. Does anyone have anything close to reliable info on these two aircraft?

D'oh, I meant Y-20, not J-20... :blush:

Yeah, that head on is the one I'm talking about. As for the Y-20, it's nothing outside of some very grainy, low-rez shots or CG renditions.

Pass - who can keep up - just add it to the list- and any others

Chengdu J-10 / F-10 Vanguard

Shenyang J-11 (Flanker B+)

Shenyang J-15 - Carrier flanker varient based on Su-33

Shenyang J-16 - Strike flanker with F-15E role

Shenyang J-17 - flanker with Su34 type role

Xian JH-7 - Fighter bomber

PAC JF-17 Thunder / CAC FC-1 Xiaolong

Guizhou JL-9 / FTC 2000 Mountain Eagle

Chengdu J-20 - LO strike fighter

Shenyang J-31 / F-60 - LO fighter

Why would they need a STOVL fighter? They're very inefficient and unless you absolutely can't get by with a regular layout there's no reason. A bit puzzling there, unless this is just a "we can do it too" move. That or they have serious concerns on their runways being taken out.

Anyway, that video is amusing as it shows 2 stills of their plane, several times, but then several minutes of X-35 and F-35 footage.

Disregard all the "Chinese" flankers license built or not they're using predominantly Russian tech and they might like market them as Chinese but they don't even have a power plant of their own that can match the Russian engine outputs. As for JF-17 IMO I doubt well seechina field it in large numbers I'm guessing primary export user/launch customer is the PAF and other me and African countries anyways all the Chinese members on aviation forums praise the JF-17 for having DSI as if that's al that matters but even DSI can't help the JF -17 from being what it is a sub par aircraft even the f-20 tigershark today would outclass it.

The Y-20 transport on the other hand is comparable with the latest IL-476 and when the PLAAF gets the domestic designed and manufactures engines for it it will outperform the IL the airframe alone of the Y-20 is superior and China does need a large fleet of transports.

Whew typing On a phone is tedious .

A.net gave us this picture of the Y-20 today

2219724.jpg

At least this newcomer confirms that, whatever the place in this world, computers still give the same results.

Not really its having similar requirements and the laws of the aerodynamic gods who are the old malevolent types that the aircrafts end up looking quite similar.

But in chinas case at times it's also theft. Not this particular case.

But in chinas case at times it's also theft. Not this particular case.

China's "theft" is based on western greed...