Sign in to follow this  
Atreides

Official Star Wars EP 7

So J. J Abrams is now officially the director for Star Wars Epispde VII yeah just thought I'd share the good news (hope it's not old) heres hoping that the guy who did an awesome reboot of Star Trek can do the same.

Am I the only person that sees this as a bad thing?

Really wasn't a fan of the new Trek... where no lensflare has gone before...

Craig

Not saying ST was perfect but IMO I really enjoyed it and I can't stand Star Trek generally am a SW fan boi but EPsiode VII will or atleast I pray will be better than the awful prequels. I guess no joss due him doing avengers 2.

Plus Abrams is a huge SW fan and has said so many times with star tram he said he just wanted to do a cool flick with SW being a fan boi as he calls himself it different. Here's hoping. Let's hope they don't pick Michael explosions Bay to write the script haha.

Edited by Atreides

J.J Abrams did a absolutely horrible job with the Star Trek Reboot. Having a "young and edgier" (as was fashion then) cast was just wrong. I do not trust him to do it. I would love Josh Weadon or James Cameron.

The only advantage Abrams brings is as a Star Wars fan, he is more prone to respect the established Expanded Universe.

Edited by JonathanRL

So... does Mickey will be a Sith lord or a Jedi master ?

J.J Abrams did a absolutely horrible job with the Star Trek Reboot. Having a "young and edgier" (as was fashion then) cast was just wrong.

Except at the box office and most reviews:

Official screenings in the United States started at 7 pm on May 7, 2009, grossing $4 million on its opening day. By the end of the weekend, Star Trek had opened with $79,204,300, as well as $35,500,000 from other countries. Adjusted and unadjusted for inflation, it beat Star Trek: First Contact for the largest American opening for a Star Trek film. The film made US$8.5 million from its IMAX screenings, breaking The Dark Knight's $6.3 million IMAX opening record. The film is the highest-grossing in the United States and Canada from the entire Star Trek film franchise, eclipsing The Voyage Home and Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Its opening weekend numbers alone outgross the entire individual runs of The Undiscovered Country, The Final Frontier, Insurrection and Nemesis. Star Trek ended its United States theatrical run on October 1, 2009, with a box office total of $257,730,019, which currently places it as the seventh highest-grossing film for 2009 behind The Hangover. The film grossed $127,764,536 in international markets, for a total worldwide gross of $385,494,555. While foreign grosses represent only 31% of the total box office receipts, executives of Paramount were happy with the international sales, as Star Trek historically was a movie franchise that never has been a big draw overseas.

Star Trek received highly positive reviews from film critics. The film has a 95% approval rating on the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, based on 295 reviews, with the consensus: "Star Trek reignites a classic franchise with action, humor, a strong story, and brilliant visuals, and will please traditional Trekkies and new fans alike." Metacritic, which assigns a weighted average score, gave the film a 83 out of 100 based on 37 reviews from critics.

The Star Trek franchise was in the crapper after Enterprise and Nemesis. Whatever you may think of the JJ Abrams reboot, it made the franchise profitable again.

FC

The only advantage Abrams brings is as a Star Wars fan, he is more prone to respect the established Expanded Universe.

Respect the established Expanded Universe?

George Lucas reduced the existing expanded universe to dust with the new movies (actually, in some things he went against the original movies too), so, why bother?

Edited by shotdown
  • Like 1

all who bitch about Disney having now rights to Star Wars universum, should read this brillant Cracked article:

http://www.cracked.c...ught-star-wars/

to sum it in one sentence:

"People Who Aren't George Lucas Understand Star War" (emphasis by me)

as for JJ's Star Trek... I'm not that big fan of ST (SW guy :hi: ) but he did IMO pretty decent job with it (the opening sequence, LENS FLARES!, those icy planet monsters, all spocky Spock stuff, Nero)

Arrg Stary, this article first reason IS terrible, it almost forget the horrors that these studios have run on us, burning our eyes ! I understand that we want to forget the massacre led by the Herbie saga, but even on the three examples given, I see, as Mr Johnson writes so well one "great", one "not terrible" and one "terrible" and perfectly aligned from left to right, from an innovative animation movie, almost revolutionary, to the the first episode of a ridiculus saga comprising: an alcoholic, an octopus on legs, an old stinking bearded man and many others.

Now, as so many SW fans said, it would be very difficult to do worse than Episode I, or II.

Your opinion of how well his ST film stuck to "ST" is largely irrelevant. He said numerous times he was never an ST fan growing up, he was into SW. He made ST more like SW because that appealed to him. Naturally people who dislike SW or are ST purists wouldn't like it as much, but too bad...the audience wants SW more than ST. Look what the previous 2 TNG films did in the box office, his ST made double their combined gross. Enterprise failed off TV, first one since TOS in 1969 to do that. ST was dead, sticking to its "roots" was only going to be another failure, and the praise from diehard fans won't pay the bills.

You think maybe SW 7 will be like ST:TMP now or something? It's going to be like SW, and probably more like the original trilogy than the prequels because he was already busy making his own stuff when the prequels came out, the originals are what informed his direction.

Also, when are people going to give up the lens flares whines? He did it for ONE film (I saw no lens flare plethora in MI3 or Super 8), he's not doing it for the new ST film, he won't do it again.

I enjoyed the action in the ST reboot - not a bad film IMO - but then I was always SW