gterl

Italian Front (WIP)

img00004_zps5ec571e8.jpg

img00006_zpsc243e53f.jpg

img00003_zpsc5cdc7ae.jpg

img00005_zps110472d7.jpg

img00001_zps9235e413.jpg

Extremely struggling with the targets.ini file

All the ground_objects have names like 'French....' and/or 'German....' or 'British....'...which does not look right

Additionally downloaded all availables ground units here from the download section and made a mess in the types.ini file (mixed up too many things)

On the positive side all the 'basic' things like buildings, tents, roads, airfields, balloons, etc. look currently right

oohh dear thought it finished after positioning all the tiles, but it's just the beginning.

:(

Looking great! Who needs the air combat, as well? When this comes out, I'll be quite happy just sight-seeing and admiring the great scenery, for at least the first week!

• Like 2

Lonesome train on a lonesome track
I'm going away, ain't coming back
I'm going somewhere far from my baby
On a lonesome train, on a lonesome track
Got all my troubles in one big pack
My baby left me so sad and lonely

My girl don't love me and that's a fact
No use in living, no use in dying
Oh, lonesome train, on a lonesome track
I want my baby, I want her back
Don't want to go on forever travelling

img00012_zpsd5c85269.jpg

img00006_zps608c711c.jpg

img00004_zpsfe91ac8a.jpg

img00010_zpsc3d92cbb.jpg

img00009_zps99324aed.jpg

Edited by gterl
  • Like 1

Hi everyone,

not sure how many of you are still reading/scanning the progress of this terrain, or checking in from time to time in regards of FirstEagles (have the impression that the interrest dropped somehow...but maybe that's me).

Just finished reading through a couple of memoirs, so I'm not in a too good/positive mood. Perhaps I've to stop for a while working on the italian front (or at least stop reading books about it).

Someone mentioned sightseeing by using this map. Sadly based on the limitations of the game-engine we can't have something similar to MS-FS, but at least the height-map can help simulating and the rest is your personal imagination.

So based on this, I took off near Udine with Captain Ruffo di Calabria (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulco_Ruffo_di_Calabria) and we headed north towards the Isonzo valley.

Monte Re or Mount Matajur (slovenian)

monte_re_img00007_zps674bdffc.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matajur

(On 26th of October 1917 Oberleutnant Erwin Rommel captured the mountain with 100 men, against an Italian force of over 7000.)

Caporetto or Kobarid (slovenian)

caporetto_img00008_zpscc01c690.jpg

http://www.kobariski-muzej.si/eng/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Caporetto

(The Battle of Caporetto (also known as the Twelfth Battle of the Isonzo or the Battle of Karfreit as it was known by the Central Powers), took place from 24 October to 19 November 1917, near the town of Kobarid (now in Slovenia), on the Austro-Italian front of World War I. The battle was named after the Italian name of the town of Kobarid (known as Karfreit in German).
Austro-Hungarian forces, reinforced by German units, were able to break into the Italian front line and rout the Italian army, which had practically no mobile reserves. The battle was a demonstration of the effectiveness of the use of stormtroopers and the infiltration tactics developed in part by Oskar von Hutier. The use of poison gas by the Germans played a key role in the collapse of the Italian Second Army.)

Upper Isonzo valley

UIsonzo_01_img00009_zps8e3599cb.jpg

We continue the flight with Ruffo down the Isonzo valley, with Caporetto now on our six-o-clock. The majority of bridges are all destroyed and we've to be carefull since everywhere there are machine guns on the slopes between the trees.

Monte Nero or Mount Krn (slovenian)

MonteNero_Trench_img00010_zpsfc1d43ca.jp

We're flying low in the valley below Monte Nero (literally the black mountain). High up traces of trechnes in the snow are visible.

Upper Isonzo valley

UIsonzo_Tolmino_AAA_img00011_zps180093e0

AAA batteries start firing while we're still following the Isonzo river southwards. The batteries are near Tolmino on the northern slope of the valley occupied by Austrian forces.

Upper Isonzo valley

UIsonzo_02_img00009_zpsf792b4cf.jpg

Still following the river southwards

Upper Isonzo valley

UIsonzo_03_img00009_zpsde572294.jpg

Left side of our aircrafts under Austrian control and the right side Italian. But things will soon change I fear!

Monte Vodice or Vòdice (slovenian)

MonteVodice_img00014_zpsb380c546.jpg

http://www.slovenia.info/?kul_zgod_znamenitosti=14674&lng=2&redirected=1

On our left we see mount Vodice where extreme bitter fighting takes place.

Monte Sabotino or Sabotin (Slovenian)

MonteSabotin_Trench_Wire_img00015_zps29f

Numerous trenches visible where the Italians are bitterly fighting.

(Sabotin Hill represented an important defence point defending Gorizia during the Soča/Isonzo offensives. It was defended by the Austro-Hungarian 58th division. Pietro Badoglio assigned general Guiseppe Venturi's 45th division to capture Sabotin Hill in the Sixth Battle of the Isonzo. On 6 August 1916, after a brief and bloody battle, the hill was captured by the Italians.)

Near San Floriano del Collio

Groina_Slataper_img00016_zpsdfc41e8e.jpg

On our right we see, or rather should see, San Floriano del Collio a small town completely destroyed by the war.

Gorizia or Gorica (Slovenian)

Gorizia_img00017_zps335e6398.jpg

Still not captures by the Italian army. Fighting still ongoing below us in the river valley.

Karst Plateau or Carso (Italian)

Carso_Trench_Stone_img00018_zps87c4fcdd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karst_Plateau

South of Gorizia: The bloody Karst plateau below us, with its various trenches and the bitter fighting everywhere...and not one meter is gained..

Lower Isonzo valley

Isonzo_Valley_Battle_img00019_zps260b6e4

The battle is raging everywhere. Beware of the flak!

Monfalcone

Monfalcone_img00020_zps32d764e1.jpg

Ships burning near the coast. Flak is extremely strong here. High concentration of Austrian troops to hold the town at all costs. Following the coastline the highest price of all awaits the Italians...Triest!

Trainstation Grado

udine_station_img00004_zpsd8d4a99f.jpg

From Grado near at the Adriatic coast we turn north towards Udine and our airfield.

Udine

Udine_Trucks_img00022_zpse9145e19.jpg

Udine is bristling with troops, trucks, guns and all sorts of army equipment.

regards

gt

Edited by gterl

Lienz aerodrome with the trainstation in the background

lienz_img00001_zpsf1b51bde.png

Man, you MUST finish this terrain. It's easily the most beautiful FE terrain!

With this terrain, FE/FE2 will be the ONLY WW1 flight game with the Italian Front !!!!!  There are no other WW1 flight games (past or present) that have this theatre, so this will be a first. :air_kiss:

Lonely moon...

img00003_zps017c3cc2.jpg

South of Gorizia

img00001_zpsb6db2578.jpg

Tents near a lonely church

img00005_zpsa6b896ab.jpg

Flying home at dusk

img00004_zps85eccb6d.jpg

Following the river home

img00006_zpsd4bac191.jpg

Aerial cover WW1 style

img00007_zpsc5062ed3.jpg

Nearing the target, flak getting nasty

img00008_zps4c2e2a4e.jpg

Target hit

img00009_zpsc6a70d08.jpg

Flying home.....

img00010_zpsd3270e2f.jpg

Battle in the mountains, note the smoke ...battle going on

img00011_zpsc5fb9511.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent work. This is a fantastic contribution!

the terrain looks EXCEPTIONAL!!!

good work!!

It's  a very pretty terrain, but I wonder if AI planes can really take off from those airfields

AI does have a problem with getting over mountains. I'm sure there is something in the aircrafts' Data.ini under the AI parameter that can help with this. In the Vogesen terrain I have had problems with flights of AI bombers and recon planes hitting the mountain sides resulting in landing or crashing. They do try to get over the mountains though. Just not hard enough I guess.

gterl, will you be making the "Strategic Nodes" for the terrains' Data.ini?

Yes I did many tests in this regard and the AI has definitely a problem flying over mountains.

OTOH I did NOT experience more crashes than on the Vogesen terrain (pls keep in mind: I've never seen fighters crash on mountain sides, there were always bombers/recon planes).

So overall IMHO it's NOT an immersion-killer.

Actually the AI does a pretty good job taking off and landing on the airfields in the valleys.

Just make sure you've the FMs that can be found here (that helps a lot), otherwise I've seen them crash more often.

I think a modded Missioncontrol.ini can be very useful to an Italian map install. You can change the minimal flight altitude this way

Mhhhm not sure what a 'missioncontrol.ini' does anyway, but I guess this will affect the whole game?

Yes, it will change the entire game, but I think everybody has separated installs (Western Front, Palestine, Eastern Front, Italy, North Sea...) so be free to experiment.  You must extract the file, mod it to your taste and put the file in the Flight folder. There is a missioncontrol.ini in the Armchair Aces Redux package (I modded it  to have slower promotions to the player's pilot).

It's going to be the best terrain ever designed for any of the Thirdwire sims.

• Like 1

It's going to be the best terrain ever designed for any of the Thirdwire sims.

I'll agree with that! It's amazing what a well constructed terrain can do.

I can appreciate what gterl is going through with placing the targets. Many moons ago when I was massively into SF1 I had a go at making a Persian Gulf terrain (http://combatace.com/topic/10692-new-terrain/ - lost everything in an HD crash!) and I remember laboriously placing the airfields and changing the tiles.

Mike.

Superb!

This is what i was hoping for when I did the Hamriot skins way back in the Palolithic Age.

• Like 3

- New tiles

- Carso re-done

- New frontline (slightly more historical correct) on the southern part , e.g. Carso area and Gorizia closer to the Isonzo

- Moved Gorizia

- Moved various targets into historical correct positions

- Movements.ini done....lots of stuff in there

To do:

- Decided to use real-life names for small towns (used phantasy names, have to correct targets.ini)

- Due to new frontline, etc. new planning-map needs to be done

- Various clean-ups within ini files (remove all unused comments)

- Various clean-up regarding files, removing dublicates, etc.

- Height map still needs to be fixed for a couple of aerodromes

- ...and I guess other 10'000 things which are still not 100% correct

img00008_zpsb66454da.jpg

img00002_zps85fd8a99.jpg

img00006_zps613cb784.jpg

img00009_zps21617e0b.jpg

img00016_zps7cc57be7.jpg