Sign in to follow this  
Skyviper

What about good war films in general?

In the spirit of best Vietnam Film thread started by the clever macelena

What do you think are some great war films in general?

WW1

Sergent York

WW2

(For me)

Battle of Bulge

The Big Red One

Stalag 17

To Hell and Back

Fantasy war stuff

Three Kings

Personal Choices:

WW1:

All Quiet on the Western Front

The Lost Battalion

Paths of Glory

The Blue Max

WW2:

Das Boot

Tora, Tora, Tora

Enemy at the Gates

Cross of Iron

Korean War:

The Brotherhood of War

Pork Chop Hill

Steel Helmet

Taeguki

Sayonara

Fantasy War Stuff:

The Bedford Incident

Threads

Fail Safe

Well, there are more WWII films than all other war films put together, so that makes it hard.

Perhaps we should eliminate some? Like Pearl Harbor, or Inglorious Basterds? :grin:

• Like 1

My humble list:

WW2: Where Eagles dare

Objective, Burma!

Saving private Ryan

Das Boot

Uprising

Other: The Beast

Brave Heart (if considered a war movie)

No1: Letters from Iwo Jima

No2: 9th Company

No3: Hunt for caravans (Ohota na karavanami)

No4: Braveheart (yea I consider it a war movie)

No5: Talvisota (Winter war)

No6: Tali-Ihantala 1944 (finnish)

No7: Das Boot

No8: Kelly's Heroes

No9: Isoroku (Yamamoto)

No10: Ogniem i Mieczem (Polish, medieval)

No11: Grozovye Vorota 1-4 (chechniya)

No12: Proriv (Vysota 776) (chechniya)

Saving Private Ryan is probably what made the genre reborn. Mixed the grittiness of Vietnam war movies with the epic of 2nd world war movies. I don´t think it is fair to call it Pro American propaganda. I don´t remember a nother films wich portrayed terror that way. IMO, a good war film must be terrorific.

Nuuf said about the landing.

Look at all the scenes of US soldiers killing surrendering germans, "Don´t shoot, let them burn!" or the scene in wich two groups of soldiers corner a fleeing german squad in a trench near the beach and unload on them.

Look at the messenger who runs to the killzone of an MG42, or vin diesel getting hit by the sniper with the kids so close and dying in front of his powerless fellows

Look at the whole scene at the radar station, the death of the medic and the show of the german prisoner.

The tanks scaring the living crap out of you just making the earth shake, the tracks noise was worse than the Jaws theme. The tanker who tries to escape just to get the haed shot up by the paras, who then get shredded by the automatic flak, or when the translator freezes on the stairs while the Jewish guy and the SS guy are fighting desperately with Max Martini bleeding to death.

While it is often compared to the Thin Red Line, wich is as good, if there is one advantage i find in SPR is that you don´t need the voiceovers to deliver the message. If somebody needs a voiceover to get the point after watching either film, he wasted his time.

• Like 1

You noobs what about this little flick.

"JUST DON'T STAND THERE GET ONE UP"!

William Holden taxied the panther on the deck, he insisted on it. His brother a Corsair pilot was killed during WW2.

Edited by MAKO69

As others have said portraying the horror of war is vital to a good war film, so I'm bringing "We Were Soldiers" into this one as well, if for no other reason than the scene where Jimmy gets picked up to be loaded into the medivac.

Otheres worth mention, though admitedly all TV series or made for TV movies: "Das Boot", "Bravo Two Zero", "Band of Brothers" & "Mission of the Shark".

Craig

So I'm I the only one who liked "A bridge too far"?

I love the films of the Sixties. Of course, you have 'The Blue Max', 'The Battle of Britain', or 'The Longest Day' which just lacks original colors to be perfect. But you also have older war episodes like 'Alamo', 'Zulu', 'Khartoum', 'Waterloo'... Few such super-productions on non-20th Century war episodes have been made before the 2000s...

So I'm I the only one who liked "A bridge too far"?

Nope. Loved that film.

That and the Great Escape I know that film was long but it was great to watch.

The Hunters. Granted they used F-84s as MiG-15s but hey the footage was awesome.

Falcon

No1: Letters from Iwo Jima

No2: 9th Company

No3: Hunt for caravans (Ohota na karavanami)

No4: Braveheart (yea I consider it a war movie)

No5: Talvisota (Winter war)

No6: Tali-Ihantala 1944 (finnish)

No7: Das Boot

No8: Kelly's Heroes

No9: Isoroku (Yamamoto)

No10: Ogniem i Mieczem (Polish, medieval)

No11: Grozovye Vorota 1-4 (chechniya)

No12: Proriv (Vysota 776) (chechniya)

I just picked up 9th Company on BluRay. It was very good, in fact, amazing in some respects, when one considers that it was done on a 9.5 million dollar budget.

• Like 1

I just picked up 9th Company on BluRay. It was very good, in fact, amazing in some respects, when one considers that it was done on a 9.5 million dollar budget.

Glad to hear )) Well I have seen it 30+ times... not because it is so good, but I was the translator for the hungarian subtitles :D

DSOHILTSWALTB is one that always makes me laugh.

"...and ANIMALS that will be bread for SLAUGHTER!"

Rather than start a new thread it would be better that I ask you here if anyone know one or more films/TV movies about the Falklands/Malvinas war ? While searching a bit better in my films I realized that "Illuminados por el Fuego" was the only one I have that dealt with this episode of History.

Thank you, I will try to find it. And sorry about the "Iluminados" with only one "L" fault. May the BBC or HBO got some of their pretty nice TV films talking about this conflict.

EDIT: I just remember of Tumbledown...

Edited by B52STRATO