We have all Florians fantastic early Su-17/20 models. I enjoyed it to fly it over the years, so i asked him if he would send me his source file to let me overhaul it. I must be honest, in the earlier time I had not the ability and the experiance to achieve the goals I wanted. The result was frustrating and I lost for some time the interrest for this project.

After my exams, I have started now 3D modeling again in nearly full scale, solving problems and creating new ... but the ratio between solving and creating new problems is better and better. So I would like to present you a decent update of a egypt Su-20B.

-Smoothe parts, new Canopy framing, new Glass effect

-to do list: smoothing tires, pylons and some small and minot details.like antenas

The mapping will remain the same and I hope you guys are happy with the result so far, here is is how it looks now ingame:

post-8289-0-53351100-1359893658_thumb.jpg

post-8289-0-53946800-1359893672_thumb.jpg

post-8289-0-69693000-1359893679_thumb.jpg

All credits goes to Florian, I have only reworked some areas

Edited by 76.IAP-Blackbird
  • Like 5

I like all of the Fitter family so this is good news!

great news!

Martin have you considered adding bumpmapping to it? I can life without that, I can't without smoother models though

• Like 1

To be honest I have no idea how to do it, if it works like a normal map, so I would need someone to create a bumbpmap and I would integrate it if someone can tell me how.

Next thing is, I cant test it, cause still running under XP and this game will show the Bumpmap only at higher OS. Strange that other games can it produce with DX9 and even more effects and this one not ... sad

If the work on the 3D models goes as well as it started, this bird could be ready this week, nearly all parts are done I have planed so far, and this version represent a good "standart" version I can start to create other versions.

• Like 1

bumpmaps = normalmaps, sorry for confusion

will there be LWP version?

If you have details about that version pls send them over and I can see what I can make. I have one small question, the La-200 is nearly ready only needs a new main gear, thats all. Mapping is also done so far, how does your cockpit progress looks like?!

Send me your templates and I ll make you some bumpmaps

or a jpg of each texture with base grey colour and lines and rivets...no camo colours or decals tho

with the nvidia plug in its just 3 clicks more or less to make normal maps.

Edited by russouk2004

I have so far no templates Enoc is creating some so far i know Florian has them cause I just use the same mapping as the original aircraft has to reuse the old skin.

Im revamping all parts to match them with the current skin. Pls contact Florian, maybe he has the templates on his harddrive.

ok well heres how to make normal maps....assign them in each texture of same jpg in max in bump slot...default settings...DONT click apply button in max tho.justb add the map in the slot for texture.

Image 1...select texture to bump...use base texture...no weathering,decals no camo...no chips etc....just panel lines rivets etc...if you leave roundel on for example...it will look sunken on model in game..

Image 2...select nvidia plug in

image 3...use default settings...scale (selected in blue 4) ...higher the number ..more depth to nbump map...3 or 4 is ok

image 4...result of bump map...save as..in this case DDS...I prefer DDS for detail.

post-1981-0-05491900-1359912017_thumb.jpg

post-1981-0-90054600-1359912023_thumb.jpg

post-1981-0-85978200-1359912031_thumb.jpg

post-1981-0-78928100-1359912039_thumb.jpg

Edited by russouk2004

the La-200 is nearly ready only needs a new main gear, thats all. Mapping is also done so far, how does your cockpit progress looks like?!

Martin it stalled when you wrote me it's on hold, but given I did two more sov pits later (the Mig15/17s) going back to it won't be a problem for me

Ah I remember, I have started on it just today to find a solution for the main gear problem.

No prob I have other priorities so far:

-Rafale interior

-Su-20

-Ye-152

-AEW Skyraider

• Like 1

Nice job! Always a treat to see old models updated to new standards! My suggestion are to bake some AO maps while you have the models, as that does wonders for the visual realism! PM me if you need help with that part.

Have talked to Flogger yesterday and saw the first steps of the new skin, and I have to say that I cant wait until I get it! You will think thats a whole new plane!

We say in Germany "Kleider machen Leute!" if you translate it "The dress makes the man!" or something like this....

ok well heres how to make normal maps....assign them in each texture of same jpg in max in bump slot...default settings...DONT click apply button in max tho.justb add the map in the slot for texture.

Image 1...select texture to bump...use base texture...no weathering,decals no camo...no chips etc....just panel lines rivets etc...if you leave roundel on for example...it will look sunken on model in game..

image 3...use default settings...scale (selected in blue 4) ...higher the number ..more depth to nbump map...3 or 4 is ok

image 4...result of bump map...save as..in this case DDS...I prefer DDS for detail.

Thanks Russo for this very good explanation, I think Bump maps will be integrated, but later after the release

Helpful as always Russouk2004!!! I would love a copy of that scratch filter texture you are featuring in those shots; excellent tutorial!!

Helpful as always Russouk2004!!! I would love a copy of that scratch filter texture you are featuring in those shots; excellent tutorial!!

Here you go.

post-1981-0-61146400-1359995711.jpg

Edited by russouk2004

After talking to my skinner Flogger, the plan is now a bit clearer.

-Su-20B is used as the basic Su variant

-Su-17 will be next, just to have the russian version, metal and camo is planed

-Su-17M is smilar to the two above

-Su-17M2 is the last so far before the M3 versions with the different nose

we have planed so far until the M2, assembled some drawings and camos. The other versions will stay on a different list until those "minor" versions will be ready, cause of the minor workload. Hope thats ok so far.

To do list,

-smooth the Airintake

-smoothing forward additional vents

-create new detailed fuselage vents on the tail and at the bottom of the wings

-details on ailerons and flaps

-RWR reciever on vertail

--------------------------------------

-different antenas for the different versions.

This should be enough for now, without Florian this work would not be possible, cause he has created the first version years ago!

pls dont worry about the skin, its just my testskin to check the colours, Flogger is creating the right one with a far higher resolution.

post-8289-0-38560000-1360019647_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

we need Stalingrad map for this beauty! oh wait... :rofl:

excellent!

• Like 1

this is all i could find Martin, and @Russo, can i use the metal texture, Sir?

post-37878-0-02503600-1360064307_thumb.jpg

this is all i could find Martin

These are mixed-up a bit.

On the top row, the right one is the S-24 rail, the left one seems a bit like APU-60 rail for R-60 single missile and the 2nd row left one seems like the R-13 rail.

I have to check what rails we do already have, so they would be integrated into the loadout setup.

All "vents" are build and placed where they should be, canopy is finished so far. Still some stuff to come, but the most timeconsuming is mapping...

post-8289-0-67182100-1360086423_thumb.jpg