Stary

P-36 / P-40B / Tomahawk (AVG) cockpits beta for testing

Hello guys,

Raven's gunsight topic reminded me I have these sitting on my hdd.

As these cockpits are somewhat in "beta" status I decided to upload them here, for evaluation / propheads testing purposes.

Please be aware these cockpits are old, going back to early 2009 when I did P-36 one but then never finished it, the next ones followed based on that cockpit, somehow they feel "off" but I can't put my finger on it

I upload them so you can fiddle with the positions, maybe find solutions as to why not everything is working correctly etc. In short I decided it's time to get rid of them release them here in forum as they are :smile:

P-36:

post-8911-0-28208200-1360181192_thumb.jpg

P-40B:

post-8911-0-64250400-1360181197_thumb.jpg

Tomahawk IIb (AVG):

post-8911-0-38028400-1360181202_thumb.jpg

get them here:

Hawk family COCKPITS.zip

• Like 2

Hello Stary,

I'm testing the AVG P-40B pit position...

Very very good!!!

Coupi.

yeah the positions, both in-cockpit and relative to plane exterior model are off that's why I posted this for some good souls around to pick and clean this mess up :rolleyes:

Stary,

I have tested this figures for P-40B Pit:

[GunsightFront]

HasGunsight=TRUE

GunsightMilSize=60

GunsightName=N3_sight.tga

LeadComputing=FALSE

MaxDepression=250

DefaultDepression=0

[CockpitSeat001]

ModelName=P_40b_cockpit.LOD

OpenCockpit=FALSE

Position=0.0,-1.0,0.845

Offset=0.0,-0.12,0.0

Coupi.

Very dangerous... testing! :pilotfly:

Edited by Coupi
  • Like 1

in a free time I must check the meshes as still something is strange about them pits

• Like 1

... Alternative modification in order to fire with the "iron" gunsight!

Add in the Data.ini:

[AircraftData]

DestroyedModel=P40EDest.LOD

DestroyedEffect=VehicleFireEffect

Component[008]=LeftStab

Component[009]=RightStab

Component[010]=Gunsight

[Gunsight]

ParentComponentName=Fuselage

ModelNodeName=Gunsight

ShowFromCockpit=TRUE

Modification in the Cockpit.ini:

[CockpitSeat001]

ModelName=P_40b_cockpit.LOD

OpenCockpit=FALSE

Position=0.0,-1.0,0.845

Offset=0.0,-0.12,0.0

Gunsight=------GunsightFront

Best regards,

Coupi.

in a free time I must check the meshes as still something is strange about them pits

Ok Stary!

Many thanks for your beautiful stuff,

Coupi.

• Like 1

would be easier to move the cockpit boresight I guess, BTW that version as far as I understand had the reflector sight mounted in floor projecting onto hardened windshield plate, like in the cockpit.. been a while I was fiddling with those though

Ok Stary!

Good night...

Coupi.

good night

well, looking in BOTH volumes of the detail & scale books ... vol 1 has great cockpit shots of 36 and 40 ---but withOUT the frakking gunsight!!

vol2 has a nice view, looking into the pit of the front of sight on D/E models...

Stary, if you want them .... :biggrin: be about 60 megs for both pdfs

frankly? Don't have time for them at the moment, that's why I uploaded them here (among other reasons) but the info, I allways caould use some additional info

The P-40B's had just the iron sights and the Reflecters sights were just being added, They diden't trust them so they kept the iron sight as backup, They retro fitted the (field cobbeld) the reflecter sighs into some of the B's, So you can have With or without.And Wrench I'd like the PDF's please. :biggrin: Nice work Stary Thanks.

Raven

Edited by RAVEN

can't wait for your E version Raven

anybody else need them? So I only have to upload them once, and can send via pm to whomever

ok

Will you please contemplate one later day a SF1 conversion, even on these already excellent Beta models? As are, they would be a fine improvement for Wings over Africa...

I suppose these could work, loss LODs are old

reason for edit: stupid phone dictionary

Edited by Stary

Question, Other than additions to the mesh’s textures (like bump mapping) and the way the game renders the model, is their much difference in detail between First and second Gen?

Just so I’ll get a better understanding of the difference between First gen (ansi) and second gen (unicode) LOD’s .

I love them very much, but as it´s Beta as you said, one thing must have to be changed - the canopy frames should be straight from bottom (fuselage) till the first horizontal frame. Then it begins to go round, am I clear? In other words, flat sides and round roof. Anyway it´s a great work! Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!

Like This Wilches? (YAP P-40B PIT)

post-300-0-29332200-1360255871_thumb.jpg

Yes it is. This is the correct shape, as you can check on photos, but your cockpit is much better, so why don´t we have the best of two worlds? :good:

• Like 1

guys guys guys

as stated these are beta and uploaded cause I am tired of them, also to be honest they are based on 2009 (feels like ages ago) P-36 one so... you get what you get

but yes I really want to make them better when time/other projects permit

and Wilches, stop being such a pest ... gimmegimmegimmegimme ... it's get tiresome

maybe YOU should try to walk few million miles in OUR shoes, and see what it's like

Edited by Wrench

what Wrench says, for example I would love to finish that 199/109 pit I started 1,5 years ago, but there is real life, job, other mods/favours to others etc, those who don't mod please do realise one thing: we don't squish them out out of our bottoms by pure magic

oh, and those who are around at least several years surely know what 11th Commandment is...

Sometimes I feel myself like Wrench said... Sorry I didn´t mean it. For those who played EAW in the past should remember all of my hard work on cockpit making (try on google). It almost cost my 22 years of marriage so I quit all of 3D work forever. I know how is to be full of guys asking for this or that, but I didn´t care at all. Stary, sorry if I put any pressure on you. Your work is really awesome. Wrench, I´ll try to remember your words next time - no more ¨gimmes¨. My next post will more valuable!

• Like 1