Lexx_Luthor

Best war comedy (or romance)

BoB, Bizmark, etc... for some reason Britts make the most Sincere, Serious, even Severe, war movies, of all time. Very "british" lol. For something different, how about funny war movies?

Two good ones were Cary Grant in both Operation Petticoat and Father Goose (with Trevor Howard !!!!).

Best of this kind, for me, was Henry Fonda in Mister Roberts. I like this one most, because it seems no gruel nor grit is sacrificed for a funny, yet at the end tragic, movie. Also tragic is the story behind the author of the original novel, who spent WW2 on a cargo ship, Thomas Heggen, dead at 30:: "I don't know how I wrote Mister Roberts," he admitted to a friend. "It was spirit writing".

Bogart and Hepburn in African Queen come to mind.

Others?

"Stripes", "Tropic Thunder", "Dr Strangelove", "What did you do in war, daddy?" However, i would say my favourite is "Down Periscope"

Hot Shots. Both parts.

• Like 1

"Stripes", "Tropic Thunder", "Dr Strangelove", "What did you do in war, daddy?" However, i would say my favourite is "Down Periscope"

I was just about post Down Periscope myself. A good buddy of my a retired Naval Sub Commander mentioned how impressed he was with how they actually conducted (minus the goofy stuff) operations aboard the subs (mainly the newer sub). To him that was more accurate then most other movies he's seen.

KELLY' HEROES !!!!!!!!!!!!! (and of course Mash..)

I'm going with Mr Roberts "THIS IS THE CAPTAIN THERE WILL BE NO SHORE LEAVE FOR THE CREW WHILE PORT! THAT IS ALL!"

Ha - Hot Shots 1 for me - "Roger That milli vanilli chilli willi" for hollywood

Blackadder goes fourth for TV - still funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nezEfrpO-jk

Did I see a young'un dr House in this piece or what?

:D

Edited by SFP1Ace

In : 'The Blue Max', with a tragically ending ménage à trois...

Out : 'Pearl Harbor' with a boring and ridiculous ménage à trois...

You should see a young Dr House in almost every episode of Blackadder unless you're not looking!

The Hot Shots films did a great job spoofing Top Gun, Rambo, Apocalypse Now, and most of those others. I'm split on whether that qualifies them as the best or not.

Haven't seen many but my favs are Operation Petticoat and the first Hot shots.

The Hot Shots films did a great job spoofing Top Gun, Rambo, Apocalypse Now, and most of those others. I'm split on whether that qualifies them as the best or not.

I always said the difference between Hot Shots and Top Gun was that, unlike Top Gun, the Hot Shot guys knew they where doing a comedy.

"MASH", "Dr Strangelove" and an Italian movie called "La Granda Guerra"

You should see a young Dr House in almost every episode of Blackadder unless you're not looking!

Forgive the blasphemy, o Jedi Master, but I haven't seen a single episode of Slack Baldder in my life. Should I? :biggrin:

I was just about post Down Periscope myself. A good buddy of my a retired Naval Sub Commander mentioned how impressed he was with how they actually conducted (minus the goofy stuff) operations aboard the subs (mainly the newer sub). To him that was more accurate then most other movies he's seen.

My father is a Navy Supply Officer. In all ships he has served after the movie came out, (subs and frigates) Down Periscope was the favourite. And when he was in Naval Academy, they would screen Operation Pettycoat as an example of a creative supply officer.

I don´t know if it would count as a war film, but i had to watch Tropic Thunder Twice. When i stopped laughing my ass off after the Tom Cruise rant, it was the landmine scene, and kept laughing at that until the Never go full retard, then again until...well, you guys get the idea

Edited by macelena

Forgive the blasphemy, o Jedi Master, but I haven't seen a single episode of Slack Baldder in my life. Should I? :biggrin:

Guess that depends on your tastes in comedy. Have you seen Fawlty Towers? Monty Python?

Blackadder is definitely British comedy, it's not American. I don't think it is as good as the best MP could do, although it better than the weakest MP, but it's equal to Fawlty Towers...except the first season of BA which I feel a bit weak. They found the mark with the rest of the series, though.

Tropic Thunder, Black Addidas, Dr Strangelove, mash and hypshots.

Edited by Atreides

Guess that depends on your tastes in comedy. Have you seen Fawlty Towers? Monty Python?

Blackadder is definitely British comedy, it's not American. I don't think it is as good as the best MP could do, although it better than the weakest MP, but it's equal to Fawlty Towers...except the first season of BA which I feel a bit weak. They found the mark with the rest of the series, though.

Never seen Fawlty Towers, just some of the Monty Python's (liked it!) and some of the Thin Blue Line. I guess that BA fits in the "quirky British humor" category, which suits my taste. Thx!

Well, ok, now that you mention the war and Fawlty Towers, it has an absolutely wonderful episode, almost a war movie on its own, a brilliant litlle masterpiece..... :biggrin:

Edited by Derk

it may not "technically" qualify, but the funniest one I can ever remember for outright foolishness to make your sides hurt is "No Time For Sergeants."