Sign in to follow this  
RAVEN

I need some 3D advice

I need some 3D advice from someone who has been at this point before. The aircraft model I’m making was about 60% finished, then I was given much more accurate drawings to go by and now the model is the incorrect shape, the more I try to fix it the worse it gets! So this is the question would I be better off just scraping most of it and basically starting over or just keep banging my head on the keyboard?

Raven

For me, I find it's usually faster to just start over, especially in regards to shaping. It's one thing to just add bits and pieces or make new cuts. It's quite another to have to reshape, because you usually have to start manipulating individual vertexes...which can get eye poking.

FC

both have flaws, but I'd say start over

I'm going with start over, use what I have finished as a destroyed model? (same mesh names)

Thanks

you can I guess, hard t tell without knowing what it looks like

Destroyed models do not need the same mesh names at all. My destroyed models are just one piece, usually 'Carcass' or something like that.

FC

cool! the destroyed model is one of the most overlooked items ... nobody does them and we're a bit on the shot side of them!

Could you pls posta pic or is it secret, so we could better judge the current status?! It depents on the shape, the scale and some other stuff, some areas are easy to be fixes some not so

I think Raven was refering to the destroyed PART models, those that are build into plane..? And yes, the destroyed model as the one on ground is piece of cake (usually)

i was talking about the dead burning bird on the ground, as I think Raven was. But building in damaged sections (before the splat!) would be great too.

as to what he's refereing to, my guess is those shown in some render shots in the ww2 forum :biggrin:

i was talking about the dead burning bird on the ground, as I think Raven was.

ok, I misunderstood that Raven was refering to the damaged state meshes, no problem

Waile at work today (RW) I pondered on what to do and I think I can salvage all but the Stab fairing .So instad of starting over I just cut the fuse into parts .Most everything just needs to be moved to the right positions, The fairing for the Stabs (red sec) I'll have to just scrap. As far as "Damage model, I thought that I would have to redo alot more of the plane, so now no "leftover parts" for a damage model , I'll just have to clone parts off of the new compleation for one.

post-300-0-64517300-1360465844_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

so, I guess the detail & scale books helped!!

is it just the angle, or is the wing a little 'short' in span/length?

you all know that when this comes out, I'll have to drop everything and finish off the New Guinea terrain!!! :biggrin:

Just the angle, The drawings I started with were rotated 10 or so degrees CCW so the stabs were too high in the left side view, as you can see in the pic (with new drawing) , pit was too far fwd, nose was too short, tail wheel too far fwd,and so on and so on, So yes the PDF's will make a nicer finished model. once I fix the aft section the rest is just needs to be moved. Thanks agin for the PDF's

New Guinea terrain!!! :biggrin:

Shiny.

post-300-0-94412800-1360471457_thumb.jpg

Edited by RAVEN