Sign in to follow this  
warthog64

Europe WWII airfields?

Does anyone know exactly what most "modern" airfields looked like in WWII Europe? I know that most were primitive and some had grass runways, but the airfields that come with the Europe WW2 terrain and the BOB terrain seem to lack quite a bit, including runways. My question is, is there an airfield model from another WW2 terrain that someone would reccomend for use in the classic Europe WW2 terrain? I'm trying to finish a SF2 Europe WW2 install and have gotten everything to work with the terrain other than good airfields. I'm aware of the Okinanwa WW2 and WW2 NAfrica terrains, but these airfields also seem to not match what some photos have shown of airfields on mainland Europe.

Thanks

Edited by warthog64

there ain't none.

and...

but you wait a few weeks, the EAW Euro terrain will be rereleased with lots of changes (unfortunately, with the same tileset --) but changes nonetheless

the BoB terrain has many faults, a majority of which I can't fix. Tiling and height field issues that 3 (and i'm talking 3 SOLID 18 hour days) could't resovle

why the same tileset? Can't adopt one of mine? I thought you gonna re do it like... completely

it just won't run ... locks/freezes at between 80-100%. no idea what's causing it. its a pity, would be nice to have a 4 season version of western europe!

to say nothing of having proper port tiles....and city 2 sea and etc.

if you want to mess with, i'll send you the ENTIRE terrain editor,all set up for it! :biggrin:

just like you did send me some 4 years ago... ok, send it! This terrain IS CURSED!

by EVERYONE !!!! even fng2k!!! and he built it!!

expect the thing early next week; remember you asked for it!!! :blink: I'll include the latest targets ini (which most assuredly WON'T match the tiles)

ok...this is frakking bull s**t!!!!

just for grins and giggles, i went back into that GCE based eaw terrain editor, fiddled a few tiles (replaced with G6s), genreated the TFD & HFD, moved the folders around (renamed to 'working' terrain to save it...) and this happens...

THE TRIPLE CURSED DAMNED THING FROM FLAMING HELLS IS WORKING!!!!

in the screenie, you can see the 'combination' of old and new....(road tiles, some farm, etc.

now, i don't know what hte hell to do!!!

Please vote in the poll that'll be appearing shortly..

thank you

Does anyone know exactly what most "modern" airfields looked like in WWII Europe? I know that most were primitive and some had grass runways, but the airfields that come with the Europe WW2 terrain and the BOB terrain seem to lack quite a bit, including runways. My question is, is there an airfield model from another WW2 terrain that someone would reccomend for use in the classic Europe WW2 terrain? I'm trying to finish a SF2 Europe WW2 install and have gotten everything to work with the terrain other than good airfields. I'm aware of the Okinanwa WW2 and WW2 NAfrica terrains, but these airfields also seem to not match what some photos have shown of airfields on mainland Europe.

Thanks

I started looking into this a bit for BoB purposes and a lot of the British airfields were grass only. Some had very narrow and short concrete runways that were probably painted / textured in some way to camouflage them. Some of the grass fields had some kind of matting being used to keep them serviceable during wet conditions. The main sector airfields had lots of buildings hangars etc. but there were quite a few smaller airfields that were used on an "as required" basis and they had very few facilities. I recall reading somewhere that RAF Manston could launch 16 or maybe 24 aircraft at once in a line abreast formation . When the USAF moved into England many paved runways were built but figuring out which ones requires a whole bunch of research.

expeimentaly, one could try this:

we'll assume (oh!! that word!!), a standard runway 3, which 'holds' one squadron -- now, unfortunatley, TKs airfiels are set up for " trailing" take off, so what we see like in the BoB movie is probably impossible

so... we take our targets ini and suitably modify it..

[TargetArea0**]

Name=RAF Manston

Position=abcdef,uvwxyz

Radius=6000

ActiveYear=0

Location=1

Alignment=FRIENDLY

AirfieldDataFile=desert_airfield3.ini

NumSquadrons=1

Target[001].Type=nolod

Target[001].Offset=0.00,0.00

Target[001].Heading=0

----rest of entires remain the same----

and see what happens. what you should get, is an 'empty field', with the various support building scattered around in their 'stand' locations.

The airfield zone would need to flattend, of course, just like any other, and you'd need a 'blank' or empty tile to simulate the grass.

weither this will actually work or not ...?????? This is a simliar idea to gepard's invisible airfield, as seen on his BoB terrain,which uses the 'flugplatz' tiles

one can only try it and see if it works!

Edited by Wrench

I thought it was possible to have INI only runways but have never actually tried it so it's probably about time to do so. I have made one formation take-off mod for the BoB terrain but it is associated with the airfield3. After messing about with the BoB terrain for awhile I can see that Gepard spent a lot of time on research. There are some height issues and some airfields need to be re-leveled or re-positioned a bit but from my perspective it is quite useable. I may do some work on it for myself and if things go OK will release an updated version. I suspect it may be awhile before a new replacement terrain is available. I do like having the historical buildings present so may lay down some of the stock TODS on the otherwise empty city-river tiles and railway tiles but leave enough space for the historical buildings.

The INI only runway requires a bit of a workaround but can be made to work. I created a new runway in the types.ini called RunwayX but left the reference to a runway lod blank. In the target.ini I changed the runway used to runwayX but associated with the runway 3 data.ini. What I saw in game was all the airfield buildings but no runway so it should be no problem getting airfields to work with just a grass tile.

I do like having the historical buildings present so may lay down some of the stock TODS on the otherwise empty city-river tiles and railway tiles but leave enough space for the historical buildings

that is the single most diffucult thing to do, let me tell ya!! and not just the city-river, the city river turn, the city itself, and city to farm tiles as well.

as you cn see below, sometimes you get a bit lucky, sometimes not. which is why i made the city tods on the EAW Euro WW2 a little on the sparse side...

note to self: need replacemnte Eiffel tower ... the 'imported' BoB one dosn't work....