I'm looking for a way to make weekends at AIT pass quicker so I figured I'd work on a campaign. So, would anyone be interested in a campaign for the short war between El Salvador and Honduras in 1969? It's often regarded as the last time piston engined aircraft engaged in combat against each other. Most of the aircraft that took place are already available in the downloads section, or atleast the Corsairs are.

and mustangs, too

Very short campaign (July 12-18), but very interesting terrain, if available, and very interesting panels of aircraft. I suppose the SF2 Spanish SpeechPack would not even be necessary: Honduran Colonel Enrique Soto Cano had worked closely with the US Military Advisory & Assistance Group (MAAG) to prepare his pilots well. Indeed, Honduran Major Fernando Soto became a national hero by shooting down 3 Salvadorian aircraft flying a F4U-5N. If you wish, I have an order of ground battle from an old boardgame ('Central America', Victory Games 1987).

Been discussing this with Flogger23 a few times, ad hoc terrain is needed, however, most if not all the aircraft involved are already available. Campaign lenght is not an issue, since Northern Sabre is 3 or 4 days only, let alone the 6 day war, you only have to get several sorties per day, trouble is running out of planes too quickly. Mustangs vs Corsairs...what else could you ask for?

• Like 1

Wrench, remember those schemes for Mustangs and Corsairs? i´m very tempted to make the skins, also for the C-47´s that acted as bombers, right now i´m hands full but i think it´s doable, tedious but doable, are you still thinking on that campaign???

Looks like I'll be getting to work then. Capitiane, the order of battle would be much appreciated!

Viggen, I give you the ground OB as is from the Soccer War scenario. The places you could easily find in Google maps. The boardgame's units stats: 1-2-4 = Attack value:1, Defense value:2, Movement allowance:4.

HONDURAS:

- Nueva Ocotepeque (in the 3-corners area with Guatemala): one CES (Special Security Corps) inf btn (1-2-4), one Rangers spec forces btn (1-1-4)

- Concepcion (border, further East): one CES inf btn (1-2-4)

- Marcala (border, further East): one CES inf btn (1-2-4)

- Goascoran (North of the Gulf of Fonseca): 2nd TAC (Tactical Army Group) inf regt (2-3-4)

- Tegucigalpa: 1st Presidential Guards inf regt (2-3-4)

- Puerto Cortes (Gulf of Honduras): 7th inf btn (1-2-4)

SALVADOR:

- Facing Nueva Ocotepeque: 1st inf bde (1-2-4 = 2-2-4 with diminished strength), 8th inf btn (1-1-4) - Further East: National Guard inf regt (1-1-4 = 2-1-4 with diminished strength), Treasury Police inf btn (1-1-4) - Further East: Belloso Immediate Reaction inf btn (1-2-4)

- Facing both Concepcion and Marcala: 2nd inf bde (1-2-4 = 2-2-4 with diminished strength)

- Lislique (between Marcala and Goascoran): 5th inf bde (1-2-4 = 2-2-4 with diminished strength)

- Santa Rosa de Lima (facing Goascoran): Cobra/4 inf btn (1-2-4), 11th inf btn (1-1-4)

- Santa Cruz (just South of Santa Rosa): 1st Naval Commandoes spec forces cpy

- La Union (naval base on the Gulf of Fonseca): 6th inf bde (1-1-4 = 2-1-4 with diminished strength, low supply moreover)

Edited by Capitaine Vengeur

If for some odd reason the Football War cannot be done on the map, I'll proceed with what-if scenarios.

just watch out for "THE Wall"...it's only about 4-5 tiles west of Santa Rosa de Lima.

when TK screwed us over, sometime between the March or July patch, he took away the abilitty to reset the world edge boundries, thereby negatinng several thousands man-hours of terrain work. On at LEAST 5 terrains....

I thought that terrain had trouble with those boundaries, otherwise, i think it can be done as soon as aircraft are added and inis are made to make things fit.

Well I've had issues with the wall, so sadly I won't be able to do a Football War campaign, but, I still want to make a campaign for the terrain, so I'm starting to think up a more regional conflict. If you have an idea for the campaign, I'm all ears since I'm partly distracted by two campaigns for SF2NA and with Skyrim.

As said above, the old boardgame 'Central America' (1987, typical product of the Reagan era) provides many hypotetical campaigns linked to the Sandinistan years of Nicaragua. For those not limited to insurgency warfare and escalated support from regular forces, you can find:

• Limited (to Contra bases) to full invasion of Honduras by Nicaragua, with building-up US reaction, no Communist intervention
  • Limited Honduran invasion of Northern Nicaragua (marginal to limited US support)
  • Direct US sea invasion on Managua on some pretext (Panama-style), several levels of commitment, possible Cuban intervention
  • Cold War warming up in the area with escalated US and Cuban/Soviet interventions
  • Central American marginal to important theater of operations during a global conflict started there or elsewhere...

For instance, Cuban escalated intervention can add up to mech & armored regiments, several MiG-23 units, and an improved SAM capacity; Soviet marginal intervention can just add a few spec forces & engineers sub-units, and some MiG-27 units. The Communist air defense heavily relies on a radar at Masaya near Managua which is usually the first US target and the best-defended target in all of Nicaragua. The level of US intervention can also decide about the number of carriers involved (both coasts available), whether or not an USMC sea invasion can be launched (Pacific coast), whether or not the B-52 are committed, whether the USAF units operate from Panama or Honduras in direct support... ; a small core of spec forces, helos and USAF units for cover are anyway included whatever the level. The US carriers are generic, but usually host two F-14 units (with standoff air attack capacity), two F-18 units, one A-6 unit, one EA-6 unit, and one E-2 AWACS unit (F-14 possibly replaced with two more F-18). Generic USMC air units also operate from the off-map carrier box (Harriers & helos from Tarawa-class ships, F-4, F-18 & A-6 from USN carriers?). There are also rules on limited special aerial ammo (smart, incendiary or cluster bombs) that can be easily transposed in SFP games.

Viggen, let me know if you are interested in any of these campaigns. I just would need more time to transcribe the order of battle.

• Like 1

For instance, Cuban escalated intervention can add up to mech & armored regiments, several MiG-23 units, and an improved SAM capacity; Soviet marginal intervention can just add a few spec forces & engineers sub-units, and some MiG-27 units. The Communist air defense heavily relies on a radar at Masaya near Managua which is usually the first US target and the best-defended target in all of Nicaragua. The level of US intervention can also decide about the number of carriers involved (both coasts available), whether or not an USMC sea invasion can be launched (Pacific coast), whether or not the B-52 are committed, whether the USAF units operate from Panama or Honduras in direct support... ; a small core of spec forces, helos and USAF units for cover are anyway included whatever the level. The US carriers are generic, but usually host two F-14 units (with standoff air attack capacity), two F-18 units, one A-6 unit, one EA-6 unit, and one E-2 AWACS unit (F-14 possibly replaced with two more F-18). Generic USMC air units also operate from the off-map carrier box (Harriers & helos from Tarawa-class ships, F-4, F-18 & A-6 from USN carriers?). There are also rules on limited special aerial ammo (smart, incendiary or cluster bombs) that can be easily transposed in SFP games.

Will love to fly such campaigns!!