almccoyjr

I Must Confess....

Started my once a year disassembly of the pc for complete cleaning-wipedown, new T.I.M., checking for "fretting" in the slots, etc, and also checking backup hdds and found something horrible. Upon inspection, in one of my backup drives I thought I had found a "dust bunny". Upon closer inspection, it wasn't a "dust bunny", but almost 2gb of DOS payware-freeware games I've collected over the years.

Further inspection of all my backup hdds (300gb_500gb_2 x 750gb_1tb) I "found", to my dismay, that I have a sickness:

I AM A HOARDER !!!!!

LORD help me.

plug_nickel

• Like 1

Holy "S**T"!!!

Looking closer, I've got 35mb of DOS programs and over 8GB of DOS games.

Calling Dr. Phil.....

Edited by almccoyjr

:pope: Say three hail Mary's then archive it all to DVD and all will be forgiven. Go in peace.

...then archive it all to DVD and all will be forgiven...

If only. Burning to a CD or DVD does not confer immortality to your files. I've had numerous ocassions where suddenly the disc drive will not be able to recognize half the files, or all, or keeping asking you to put a disc in the tray. Heart-rending tales could be told. I use a 300 Gb external harddrive with a little utility that automatically backs up the internal once a week.

Ehhhhh ... you get what you pay for when it comes to blank disc media. They make preservation quality media just for this purpose and it's worked quite well for me. The other clean option is to store the data in solid state form as flash drives are getting big enough and affordable enough now to accomplish this. You can back it up to a hdd like it is now and pull the drive and store it in a non static bag with some silicon for moisture. As long as the disc isn't spooling up all the time it should last forever. Is there a 100% foolproof and fail safe way to store no, but it's almost condom percentages.

You don't understand. I've also got some 140 cd/dvds that also have a whole bunch of "stuff" on them. I started using more hdds because it's much easier.

My absolute, critical files are on quality dvds for "safe" backup.

On my "oldest" hdd backup drive, I have a copy of the DOS 6.22 and Win 3.1 diskettes.

The change from being a "pack rat" to a "hoader" was insideous.

I got a folder with old email that must have been important at one time. The only problem is that they are under their original format of either Pegasus or Eudora. I don't even use those two progams anymore, but I betcha I've got those apps backed up as well.

Man, it's time to do some serious file cleaning.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Since re-installing my gaming rig last May I've accumulated about 145 games on it. Including a massive DOS collection and just about every PC game I've ever owned since the late 1990s. I have six versions of Red Baron 3D installed including every flight sim from F117A Stealth Fighter (my very first sim) all the way up to my current generation stuff. I've never owned so many games and I've never been at such a loss for what to play when I sit down.

So if nothing else, you're in good company.

PS: Thanks again for that PSU - it's still running strong in my PC!

So if nothing else, you're in good company.

PS: Thanks again for that PSU - it's still running strong in my PC!

Well, I'll raise a toast to that. And by the way, that PSU was an "old" backup... :biggrin:

You're absolutely right how can anyone argue with that logic. I've contacted A&E TV on your behalf for an upcoming episode of "Hoarders - Buried Alive". Help is on the way.

Thanks Erik.

The crew may have a difficult time getting through the front door. I'm cleaning out all of my old cds from BYTE thru MAXIMUM PC and a couple of other mags collected over the years. They're going to be at the front waiting for a friend from a pc shop to come by and pick them up.

Cheers.

The hard disks are so big nowadays - why shouldn't you be a hamster?

The major problem is not the space - it's to REMEMBER that you have all this stuff!

The hard disks are so big nowadays - why shouldn't you be a hamster?

The major problem is not the space - it's to REMEMBER that you have all this stuff!

So now the next step is to "Catalogue" all those files for easy retrieval, Right??? :ohmy:

Well, I try to create logical folders and branches for them.

My Albatros D.III (OAW) photos for examplae would be under D: WW1 > Photos & Documents > Aircraft > Albatros > Albatros D III > OAW

I've got the DOS 5 diskettes backed up on one of my hdds. Since I haven't used a disk drive in it seems like forever, I no longer have any of the original diskettes.

Does that still count NS13Jarhead?

I suppose it does. Funny thing is that I've got all these 3.5" diskettes (at least 50 of them), but havent' had a 3.5" drive my computers in about 10 years!

I had completely forgotten about them until you posted this thread. Maybe it's finally time to dump these things.

I found a folder called "Internet" with bookmarks. The oldest one was dated 1996. I loaded it in Firefox and none of the urls were good.

This is fun. I'm literally viewing the evolution of my pc life. What a trip!!!!!

I guess I'm not a hoader but rather a collector.

Hey "rjw".

What got me startd in the first place was setting up a catalog of my hdds.

Let's talk hoarding. You guys see if you can beat this...

Haha, got a bunch of 3.5" floppies from my Amiga, including Cinemaware's Wings--some I've had since '87. Probably all dead now, taking much of the music and such I wrote as a kid with them. Though it could be possible to get some data off with hard work. Took five years to recover Andy Warhol's Amiga discs: http://www.artdaily....91#.USEqtd6Lgag

For some reason I got rid of all my Amiga disks when I got rid of my 1986-era 1stGen Amiga (256 kb RAM +256 kb expansion +2mb StarBoard, 13" monitor, 2400 baud modem), but didn't unload all my PC disks when I deep-sixed the 3.5" disk drive in favor of CDs then DVDs then Thumbdrives and now external 1TB harddrives.

You guys are just n00bs when it comes to data storage.

Cave_Paintings.jpg

Sort of humbling isn't it?

Okay, not sure if I can top it, but I still have the early PC "sim" "Their Finest Hour" by LUKAS ART.

It had no 3D models but pixelated images of the planes from various angles.

Ah, you lads bring up old memories. (and from not so long ago.) I recall working for a graphics shop in San Francisco in the late '90's. One morning, I was asked to catalog a file drawer full of software discs. Among them all, I found the first release of Photoshop. It fit on three100Mb floppi disks.

Capture.JPG