I've been sifting through the vast collection of awesome files this site has to offer in hopes of finding a "radar bomb sight" for my heavy bomber cravings.

And just like going to a store to get milk and eggs but only to come out with milk eggs, some movies, candy, and two hundred dollars in other groceries and junk food. I came here looking for that sight and collected some new toys for my digital airforce.

Anyhew my question is this does such a mod exist in the first place? If not. Would it be possible to have a radar mode basically be a top down view with a cross hair on it ... so a heavy bomber can drop its bombs on time and on target?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

There are CCIP based ones, not the most accurate thing, but it improved in the second generation. Other than that, there were some especific visual bomb sight mods, wich i have not tried, however

for all intents and purposes, the 'radar bombsight' (as used on B-47, 52, 58, etc) does not exist. Nor prolly will it ever, given the limitations of the avionics dlls. People have been asking for it since 2003!

remember- the bombers are AI controlled, and when left alone, seem to do a 'bang up' job in hitting the target (goes for optical WW2-style as well)

Thanks macelena I'll see if I can't find them.

Wrench Thank you. I'll keep that in mind about those bombers ... even though they are fun to fly ... land and carpet bomb entire airfields with them. :)

There was a bombsight for ww2,and B-52 bombers I think in SF1 downoads.I havent tried any of them out yet Though.

now, low alt laydowns, that's a slightly different matter.... that only takes some practice (and gunsight of some kind; and i'm totally LOUSEY at it!!! :biggrin: )

the 'norden bombsight' tweek for sf1 requires editing the cockpit ini, and irrc, the viewlist ini and some other stuff. I never got it work!!! (don't mean somebody else might get it works!). I'm lazy ... I'll give you bombers, but wont' fly them! (odd, that one of my Top 5 Favs is the B-17!)

I don't know what I'm doing either. I just thought a green top down camera view with a green cross hair for a radar mode would do the trick.

I remember a B-52 G pack I downloaded had nose front camera view as a radar mode which is why I thought my bomb sight idea could work.

Not quite what you're refering to but definitely try the newest Invader packs. Pressing the hook key brings up a neat bombsight.

you can thank Kesselbrut for that one ... and PRACTICE!!! read teh pdf in the invader pak, it's the 'user manual' for the bombsight

If you want to experiment with views check out the Recce mod in Sf1 it details how to get a look down view which the mod is for taking target or BDA pics from or for your mission.Figure out how to put a crosshair on it and you have a rudimentry bombsight.But do check out the other completed ones I mentioned above to see if they will meet your needs.Bombs Away!

is there a list for camera positions. I think I tweak a view mode already in use by a mod I'm using. I doesn't have a cross air put there is somethign that can be used to help place bombs. .. should.

(I'm talking from the 1st generation side)

Optical camera as bomb sight and bomb run using the radar, I've done that on my own.

The thing is you have to respect 3 parameters : speed, altitude and distance.

The radar bomb sight cannot be done because the variation of altitude would change the location of the aiming cross on the scope.

The optical camera can be done but only for 1 speed and 1 altitude (you have to find out the angle to the ground, and the position of the camera, it's better)

It's possible to create several and load one of them in the loadout menu, as weapons.

Nevertheless try this :

With 500lbs bombs (not retarded)

1000 ft above ground level (if the ground is at 500 ft it means 1500 ft indicated)

450 kt (indicated air speed)

Release at 1 nautical mile (game HUD) Don't be mistaken by waypoint distance, it's another thing.

10 000 ft AGL

350 kt IAS (417 true air speed)

Release at 3.3 NM

20 000 ft AGL

Mach 0.75

Release at 5.5 NM

You'll keep the course straight to the target with looking at the red square, or by the radar image of your scope : )

Test that and adjust the speed as needed (for 750lbs or 250lbs bombs, maybe +/- 5 knots)

And you can find other parameters if you want another altitude or another speed.

I can tell it works with Canberra (but with an improved FM) and F-111s.

Hope it helps!

Note : it's important to know the altitude of the ground where the target is.

Like in real life, you cannot make a good bomb run if you don't have this data.

Recce first xD

Edited by Cliff11