Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Who knows this Sea Plane?

Just found this Big Beauty - who knows this sea plane?

X-plane.jpg

The shape and design are especially beautiful for a WWI sea plane. Each plate, each rails seem to have been carefully studied and polished.

could that be a Brandenburg W12 ?

Nope, it isn't.

Right. It's not, tho' it looks like it wants to be. Look at the struts between the wings, the struts coming up from the pontoons, and the vert. stabilizer pokes up above the fuselage, which didn't happen with the Hansa-Brandenbergs. This is a tough one. I must break out my copy of 'Janes Aircraft of WWI'.

W-12 copy.jpg

Ah yes, the good old Sablatnig. I recall it now. It turned up here as a triplane first. It underscores the comment found in one of the longer triplane threads that "as soon as the Sopwith Tripe made it appearence, every aircraft manufacturer in Germany had to rush a triplane in production". I found Elephant's pic. in a Yahoo Image Search. It is a Sablatnig.

350px-Sablatnig_Sf4_DR.jpg

Here are some larger shots:

acv5UmDz.jpg

adqWcRR2.jpg

Yes, Sablatnig SF 7 - elephant nailed it first. Great photos, Jim!

Does anyone know where Sablatnig was building these planes?

Looks very much like Berlin to me???

Does anyone know where Sablatnig was building these planes?

Looks very much like Berlin to me???

According to some of my online research it would appear you are correct. At least some were made there. Can't seem to determine if there was any additional locations.

According to some of my online research it would appear you are correct. At least some were made there. Can't seem to determine if there was any additional locations.

Thank you, rjw. After your post I also did some research and found Sablatnig Flugzeugbau GmbH

had been in a factory building in Schlesische Strasse, Berlin, located directly by the river Spree.

They also seem to have had a place in Swinemünde, but I don't know when.

...I also did some research and found Sablatnig Flugzeugbau GmbH

had been in a factory building in Schlesische Strasse, Berlin, located directly by the river Spree.

Do the buildings still exist?

I don't know the building number in Schlesische Strasse, but my picture shows the bank there from the other side of the river Spree.

The Schlesische Strasse is not very long; the buildings you see in my picture are all there are in that street.

But in the picture of the Sablatnig tripe-seaplane it looks different. I guess it was changed in the 20s or 30s.

It's hard to get a good Google Streetview of the buildings at the right, near the Oberbaum Bridge, as the bridge has a gothic-arched

pedestrian walkway shelter.

Funny thing is: we had our first rehearsal room in the right factory building in the pic - I played my first drum kit there in the 70s.

Edited by Olham