Northrop F-5E 'Skoshi Tiger II' - 469th TFS, 388th TFW, USAF, 1975

The success of the USAF's 'Skoshi Tiger' evaluation of the Northrop F-5C led to the adoption of the F-5C as a lower cost alternative to the more expensive F-4 Phantom in an early introduction of the 'Hi-Lo mix' then in favour with Pentagon whizzkids. This in turn led to strong USAF interest in Northrop's proposed follow-on F-5E Tiger II and an accelerated testing and production program. Entering service in 1971 the first USAF squadron to equip with the type was the 469th Tactical Fighter Squadron who operated the aircraft in an operational evaluation program predictably designated 'Skoshi Tiger II'.

USAFF-5ESKOSHITIGER01_zps88f861ff.jpg

USAFF-5ESKOSHITIGER02_zps140125df.jpg

USAFF-5ESKOSHITIGER03_zps70e67602.jpg

USAFF-5ESKOSHITIGER05_zpsd1b88c0d.jpg

USAFF-5ESKOSHITIGER04_zps16f5f2a7.jpg

Skin is from paulopanz' F-5E America download (FAB Camo).

• Like 1

So, I didn't know what "Skoshi" meant, and looked it up. A small space or time, from Japanese. Sometimes Mo Skosh.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/skoshi#ixzz2M3FVEjxh

From http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/f-5c.htm :

"In October 1965, the USAF borrowed 12 combat-ready F-5As from MAP supplies (5 F-5A-15s and seven F-5A-20s) and turned them over to the 4503rd Tactical Fighter Wing for operational service trials. The 4503rd TFS (Provisional) was formed on July 29, 1965 to conduct the evaluation. It was an all volunteer group with pilots and ground crew selected from Project Sparrow Hawk at Eglin AFB. The pilots underwent training at Williams AFB while Northrop modified the aircraft for duty in Southeast Asia.

The aircraft were modified to have inflight refuelling probes on the port sides of their noses, 90 pounds of armor plate on their bellies, and jettisonable pylons underneath their wings. Instruments and flight controls were modified and the standered Norsight fixed optical sight was replaced by a lead-computing gunsight. The rudder travel limiter was removed, and the aircraft were camouflaged in tan and two-tone green, with light grey undersides. They were redesignated F-5C for their service with the USAF."

Thanks for the info, Spinners, it made me more smart.

Very pretty Spinners. How about moving the Star & Bar to the side of the intake or the aft fuselage? Why? Well when you're flying formation with a camouflaged jet you need some reference to put the "light in the star" for station keeping. Either way, a very pretty piece of artistry.

This one is cliaming for a public release Spinners, very well done mate!!

If i remember correctly to the japanese lessons i heard nearly 20 years ago "Skoshi" means "Little". So "Skoshi Tiger" means "Little Tiger".

Spinners you should realy start releasing your stuff ;)

I know what you mean but there's a big difference between showing a 'what if' like this, made with just one or two serial/code number decals and a full on release with 18-26 decals plus loading screen, read me, packaging, etc. and I really do like to quickly move onto my next interest - lol.

Very pretty Spinners. How about moving the Star & Bar to the side of the intake or the aft fuselage? Why? Well when you're flying formation with a camouflaged jet you need some reference to put the "light in the star" for station keeping.

Heh, we stopped using that reference 10 years ago when the grey paint scheme debuted.... You must be old. :biggrin:

FC

You must be old. :biggrin:

That I am :biggrin: ...it's been been 33 years since UPT graduation, 40+ years since I soloed during my junior year of high school at Clark AB. That pretty much seals the deal.