Sign in to follow this  
macelena

Another film thread

As the Pub seems very quiet lately, i think i could just go on another movie debate, this time i guess it will be :WESTERNS

There are lots of them, so pick some to talk about

Lately, i´ve come to like some late westerns set in the Mexican Revolution as closing the gap between the Old West and the Gangster eras, wich are, for me, part of a quite interesting flow of American History. Loved "The Professionals" and "The Wild Bunch", but didn´t quite have a try on "Fistful of Dynamite", i guess the main character being IRA kind of creeps me a bit (yeah, among all the SOBs in westerns), despite i like Sergio Leone´s films, specially, of course, "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

About classics, High Noon and Rio Bravo are great. The Gary Cooper solo against the gang in High Noon is as epic as his role in Sargeant York, while Rio Grande and the relationship of the Duke and Dean Martin are allways a bump. I would rather the later, despite the ordeal of Cooper.

Another couple of related films are "They Died with Their Boots On" and "Fort Apache". The first is epic, specially the last moment of Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland, i can´t help but whistle Garry Owen for a week everytime i watch it, the second is simply great just for John Wayne, the John Ford Stock Company and the whole action. However, my favourite US Cavalry film would be "Horse Soldiers", despite it may not qualify as a Western.

Out of the most modern, after "Unforgiven", the few wich i really liked are "3:10 to Yuma", "True Grit" and "Appaloosa". While Yuma is not as top-great as the others, i would say it is my favourite of the three.

Then are other films wich keep the western athmosphere and style while set in a quite more modern setting, such as "No country for old men" and "The way of the gun"

So how do you think about Westerns?

Edited by macelena

I went with the 7 best for me..............Not ranked in any special order.

El Dorado

Blazing Saddles (it IS a western, just a completely foolish one)

Silverado

Open Range

Lonesome Dove

Quigley Down Under

The Quick & the Dead

Every single one with Mr Eastwood!

I got a preference for Kirk Douglas' westerns, I always find him a better actor than his son (even if the last are a good one). And also for Terence Hill's films... yes, I should be ashamed...

Here's a relatively unknown flick, that fits somewhat loosely into the genre, but is certainly worth watching: In Pursuit of Honor.

It takes place during the same period as "The Professionals".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113399/

Silverado. I got similar 45 long colt revolvers that Costner used. My folks (well my mom now) have the golden boy Winchester that Glover used.

Falcon

Westerns? Easy: John Ford+John Wayne.

My favorite one is The Searchers, but almost anything from those two will do. From Ford without Wayne, my favorite is Two rode together, and from Wayne without Ford, I must choose between El Dorado and True Grit.

All of Sergio Leone + Ennio Morricone Westerns = unforgettable soundtracks + classic melt of large views on vertiginous countrysides and close-ups on ice-cold eyes + stinking bastards with ugly faces + humour + immortal quotes... Also liked the latest 'Django' as a new milestone in the history of Westerns (ditto bastards, humour, quotes, etc)

Westerns? Easy: John Ford+John Wayne.

btw, do you know how many Academy awards did John Ford win with his westerns? (Yes, John Ford, 4 academy awards for best director. The man who said:"My mame is John Ford and I make westerns"). Well, the answer is: 0.

Not bad, for the man who made Stagecoach, Fort Apache, The Searchers, or The man who shot liberty valance.