What happened at westcoastatc? The website hasn't been updated since September and I haven't received an email regarding ATC sessions since September 30th. I'm concerned because I have many good memories at westcoastatc, and I'd hate to see it in this state.

I think I might be able to breath new life into the westcoastatc community from the feseconomy community, but sessions would be needed to start again.

If anybody gets this who can help in starting to bring things back, please let me know.

Thanks,

Steven

WCATC Member since July 2004

I used to "fly" on WestCoast ATC in FS9, but when I moved over to FSX, I couldnt not get connected. After some tweaks of my router, I was able to get on very sporadically, but the sessions kind of died off. I think a lack of participation drove off the ATC guys. Sad as this was a fun environment.

-Jeff

Steven and Jeff: I have been flying with West Coast since 2008. I do not know what happened to most of the regular guys! I know I still fly there every night. Some nights the severs are down but not often. If I see they are down I contact Eric at WCATC and he fixes them.

Usually within a day. There is no one with any admin capacity that can sign up new members. I have ask if I could help but got no reply. There are ATC guys willing to do ATC sessions but not for less than 7-10 pilots. I am willing to help get it going again and a good start would be set up an ATC session well in advance to get the ATC guys set up. Get on the Combat Ace T/S on westcoast 118.0 to communicate in the evenings 8:00 EST. I will watch for you.

Jeff you need FS Host Client to get on multiplayer in FSX. Same ports should work.

Let me know how you want to proceed.

gurifix@aol.com gurifix6@hotmail.com WTR*4758 -Bob

Bob,

I get the feeling there are plenty of ATC hungry pilots on FSEconomy. Its just a matter of bridging the gap. Picking a date well in advance would not only be good for getting the ATC guys ready, but for also advertising. I could start spreading the news on FSE once a date is set and provide links/information regarding FSHost and how to use it. In the meantime, I will start a poll on the FSE forums that asks who would be interested.

I will make a point of being on the WCATC TS3 server, channel 118.5 tonight around 8pm EST. Jeff, you're welcome to join us if you can. The TS3 server ip is 66.208.223.141, I will be under the callsign of N1217U

-Steven

Edited by pilotschmidt

What happened at westcoastatc? The website hasn't been updated since September and I haven't received an email regarding ATC sessions since September 30th. I'm concerned because I have many good memories at westcoastatc, and I'd hate to see it in this state.

I think I might be able to breath new life into the westcoastatc community from the feseconomy community, but sessions would be needed to start again.

If anybody gets this who can help in starting to bring things back, please let me know.

Thanks,

Steven

WCATC Member since July 2004

As a WCATC user for over two years, I found this page when I Googled "westcoastatc dead" to see if it was actually true. I've been checking the website's calendar periodically for over half a year, but it has remained blank. There was one occasion when I was surprised to see an ATC session listed, but when I showed up for it, I was the only one there. Ever since, I've just resorted to flying on VATSIM, with that blasted buzzing sound everytime someone keys the mic. I haven't forgotten you guys, and look forward to flying with you all in the future.

Aaron H./ N741NY

I had been flying with WCATC since 2001. I really enjoyed the comraderie and warm, fun atmosphere Jeff Jung, Andy, and the other controllers provided over the years, giving us an all-voice ATC alternative experience to VATSIM's frustrating "type-while-you-fly" ATC system a few years back. In its heyday, Westcoast provided one or 2 sessions per week, and an email reminder system to let you know what was going on. There were a ton of 'regulars.' but over the years they dropped off one by one, and the sessions went from 2-3 controllers down to a single controller, and became fewer and far between, to the point where the emails stopped altogether, and the Calendar took on it's current blank appearance about 8-12 months ago.

These past months I have rediscovered VATSIM, and since you no longer have to text to fly, it is fun to fly there again. I'm not sure what you're talking about regarding the background hum or noise you describe when keying the mic, but if you've ever listened to real world ATC on an aircraft radio, you will quickly realize that the sound effects programmed into Squawkbox really does sound like its real-world counterpart. As a heavy metal airline jockey at heart, I truly enjoy the discipline of planning and executing an IFR flightplan utilizing current real-world routes, SIDS and STARS. Programs such as ForeFlight for iPAD now give us the ability to flight plan in real world conditions, providing real-time weather and the ability to watch a little blue depiction of your plane move along your course on the various charts and approach plates, all running wirelessly on a different computer than FSX. A typical flight at VATSIM will find you talking to 2-4 controllers, everything from Clearance Delivery to Tower to Approach, provided you check first with monitoring programs like Wazzup to see where the action is in the virtual ATC world. There is ALWAYS something going on somewhere.

Just My 2 cents, and miss the boys at WCATC,

Alex Christoff

Baltimore, MD

Some of us are still around and I would love nothing more than to get WC back up and running again as it used to be. It's still functional and all the equipment is online it just needs controllers to run sessions. I ran many session back in the day and I miss the time with Harold at LAX. Whatever you guys want to bring to table just let me know and we'll see what we can do. I look forward to working some traffic again.

Guess everyone is far gone at this point! I barely use the simulator anymore since I have grown into rc planes and will be flying at Islip's ATP flight school starting two days from now. That combined with working full time leaves very little time or energy for anything else. It was an honor going off on new adventures with you characters, and I will thank you for keeping me inspired to go all the way!

I hope you and your families are happy and doing well.

Aaron H.