Sign in to follow this  
Boresight

Need help please - SF2 "Banidos Mirage" skin doesn't show up

Hello again everyone,

For the first time, I'm trying to use the "Banidos Mirage IIIEA" add-on with SF2 Israel, after careful reading the Migbuster guide, and several topics at the knowledge base.

However the hangar/loadout screen appears somewhat transparent; the loading mission screen appears ok; the cockpit appears miss-aligned; and the skin/decals don't appear at all.. though the loadout and afterburners show up.

I'm tired of tweaking with it with no avail.

Would appreciate your help. Thank you.

The aircraft skin doesn't show - only the loadout and the afterburner do ??

Also the cockpit isn't aligned with the runway.

post-80702-0-91594300-1362410839_thumb.jpg

post-80702-0-78701900-1362410878_thumb.jpg

Make sure the files are in the right place - skin files go in the skin subfolder

C:\Users\<you>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Israel\Objects\Aircraft\Shahak_75\253IDF_79grey

Any cockpit files go in a cockpit subfolder

C:\Users\<you>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Israel\Objects\Aircraft\Shahak_75\cockpit

Decals for SF2 go in

C:\Users\<you>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Israel\Objects\Decals\Shahak_75

If they are the ini files you are using are calling out things you dont have or the wrong things

Do you have a link to that mod you have downloaded?

Where have you put the files? - show me a screenshot of Explorer

Downloaded the file - Put the jet only into the Aircraft folder in SF2I and it works fine - no problems

In the folder you download from here note the file structure - its a replica of the mod folders so should give you an indication where to put the files.

MigBuster, you really know your stuff, I tell you that... your post #3 gave be the best insight and finally I've managed to get it working!

The only thing i've done following your post was:

Copying all the folders and files that are inside the "Banidos_MirageIIIEA" to the "Shahak_71" folder.

It solved everything!

The pic bellow showa just 1 of the 8 camo schemes available!

Tahnk you - I'll reply to you right away.

post-80702-0-73552500-1362418834_thumb.jpg

um...that actually shouldn't have worked ...

the 3rd Mirage IIICJ (aka Shahak) should be mapped differently form the Bandidio's IIIEA, thereby making the skins complety unusalbe on the STOCK 3w mirage

the screenies you've shown above, show that the physical modle (aka LOD) is missing.

like MB said, we NEED to see the internal structure of the IIIEA's main folder, like my example below for the Wildcat

and...it's exact location within the SF2I mods folder

Well thats one way I guess but you shouldnt need to do that because its replaced the stock shahak

The folder name Banidos_MirageIIIEA will work - as long as the main .ini file is called Banidos_MirageIIIEA.ini -

If you check the original download this is how it is setup.

An yes - as Wrench mentions - if its using the Shahak ini its also using the stock 3D model which is different to the one you need for the FAA version (thats the LOD files that come with the mod)

Edited by MigBuster

Regarding your #5 post:

I still very noob about patching - adding mods, etc.

The last time I've added some mods related to SF, was in SF2: North Atlantic.. The Mirage Factory F-14 cockpits and avionics Updates, and all went fine the first time.

However, before your assistance here, I went installing update patches to either SF2 and SF2 Israel, in such a fashion that the majority of flying MiG-21's I has previously sucessfully installed in SF2 Israel went missing !! LOL

um...that actually shouldn't have worked ...

the 3rd Mirage IIICJ (aka Shahak) should be mapped differently form the Bandidio's IIIEA, thereby making the skins complety unusalbe on the STOCK 3w mirage

the screenies you've shown above, show that the physical modle (aka LOD) is missing.

like MB said, we NEED to see the internal structure of the IIIEA's main folder, like my example below for the Wildcat

and...it's exact location within the SF2I mods folder

Ok I will post that right away..

known issue; all AI aircraft made player flyabe WILL be returned to non-flyable status with the additon of official 3rd Wire patchs or addons (like the DLC aircraft). Covered in a KB post, iirc

My suggestion to you, Boresight, is to HOLD OFF on modding until you get comfortable with the file and folder structures. AND... spending time in our ever-ignored Knowledge Base.

It has the answers to the inevitiable question and problems that will arise. Read both the 1stGen (SF/Wo*) and SF2 KBs, leaving out some of the more esoteric threads (like terrain building/terrain modding)

Get the basics down first, then move to more advanced modding

and ALWAYS read the readmes that ALL good modder/mod groups should have included in their upload packages

You may laugh at will, but:

How do I enable the left column with the cascade style folders at explorer?

Edited by Boresight

This is what you should be aiming for - and you will realise its a copy and paste job

gallery_8064_327_30493.jpg

known issue; all AI aircraft made player flyabe WILL be returned to non-flyable status with the additon of official 3rd Wire patchs or addons (like the DLC aircraft). Covered in a KB post, iirc

My suggestion to you, Boresight, is to HOLD OFF on modding until you get comfortable with the file and folder structures. AND... spending time in our ever-ignored Knowledge Base.

It has the answers to the inevitiable question and problems that will arise. Read both the 1stGen (SF/Wo*) and SF2 KBs, leaving out some of the more esoteric threads (like terrain building/terrain modding)

Get the basics down first, then move to more advanced modding

and ALWAYS read the readmes that ALL good modder/mod groups should have included in their upload packages

Absolutely true - although I was some hours the last night reading the precise Knowledge Base, MigBuster's guide: "Converting older planes to work in SF2" and some others.. however I'm a guy who doesn't know what's an .ini file.

And although you mention that .ini file here several times, I haven't seen one yet at the Banidos Mirage add-on...

Here we go, tell me if that's what you're talking about...

"Jogos guardados" is portuguese for: Saved games, by the way.

Do I have to rename some of my files with tthe.INI file extension?

post-80702-0-10160300-1362420526_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boresight

Note the files as type "Configuration Settings" in my screen shot and with the file extension .ini - thats the ini files - basically a text file you can open in Notepad.

Your system is not displaying all the file extensions for some reason - unless its to do with the Portugese windows settings of course.

Note the files as type "Configuration Settings" in my screen shot and with the file extension .ini - thats the ini files - basically a text file you can open in Notepad.

Your system is not displaying all the file extensions for some reason - unless its to do with the Portugese windows settings of course.

And so you think my problem might be the fact that the main .INI file isn't called: "Banidos_MirageIIIEA.INI" ?

I've managed to show file extensions..

And the explorer looks just like yours i believe:

post-80702-0-37361500-1362421916_thumb.jpg

And so you think my problem might be the fact that the main .INI file isn't called: "Banidos_MirageIIIEA.INI" ?

I've managed to show file extensions..

And the explorer looks just like yours i believe:

Not any more thats correct as it is.

That was a reference to when you mentioned you had put the files in the Shahak_75 folder - it would have been using the shahak_75.ini file instead in that case

Not any more thats correct as it is.

That was a reference to when you mentioned you had put the files in the Shahak_75 folder - it would have been using the shahak_75.ini file instead in that case

Ok,

Really sorry to spending your time MigBuster, but I thought this would be as easy as adding the "The Mirage Factory" avionics and HUD updates to the SF2: NA F-14Tomcat - which I got right at the first time.

And besides you and Wrench, almost nobody else helped me.

A couple doubts I would appreciate you could clarify me:

- by "skins", you mean the files & folders inside the "Banidos_MirageIIIEA" folder, like for ex. "azul"; "cockpit"; "puro-metal"; etc?

- should these have been copyed to the "objects\decals" folder to? (I did it from the beggining.)

think of the 'skin', as a paint job for the aircraft you can change back and forth

"cockpit" is exactly that .. the bits for the cockpt that you see when sitting in the plane

the skins for your Migare are

azul

lo-atamo

puro-metal

VI

VIII

VIII-2

VIII-1982

this can easily be confirmed, by opening each of thsoe and seeing a ****.bmp (view files as LargeIcons to visibly SEE the bmp files)

as to the decals...this should help:

http://combatace.com/topic/70920-sf1-to-sf2-decals-folder-conversion-quickie-tutorial/

Edited by Wrench

think of the 'skin', as a paint job for the aircraft you can change back and forth

"cockpit" is exactly that .. the bits for the cockpt that you see when sitting in the plane

the skins for your Migare are

azul

lo-atamo

puro-metal

VI

VIII

VIII-2

VIII-1982

this can easily be confirmed, by opening each of thsoe and seeing a ****.bmp (view files as LargeIcons to visibly SEE the bmp files)

as to the decals...this should help:

http://combatace.com...ickie-tutorial/

Thank you Wrench,

PauloPanz has been helping me via PM, and now that he sent me new downloaded files (from the same aircraft of course), things do work without being necessary to have the skins at the "Shahak_71" folder...

He said my problem was maybe:

"...Banidos_MirageIIIEA.ini file inside Banidos_MirageIIIEA didn't exaclty match the folder name (a writing mistake)..."

However my instal is somewhat porked and I plan to reinstall everything correctly later - do I need SF2 update patches or just the SF2 Israel update ones before starting with aircraft add-ons?

Hello again everyone,

News update:

Regarding the skins problem started at this thread, although with the help of several of you I've managed to solve the most part of the issues, yesterday I decided to do a REALLY clean, from the start, "correct order of installation ".

( Just like the exact order the knowledge base and TW game manuals recommended. )

So, now evertyhing is working at 100 % on my merged install of SF2, and the Argentine Air Force Mirage IIIEA Mods are working perfect !

Still, just need a confirmtaion:

Might the skins problems I was experiencing before, be related to the fact that:

- on my OLDER install I had outdated patches ?

- SF2 Israel scenario installed right above an uninstalled SF2 NA moded version ?

Thank you for your time.

Edited by Boresight

Hello everyone,

Thought this forum also was a knowledge sharing space.

So, would anyone give me an actual confirmation to my doubts? Thank you.

It is hard to say exactly that what caused the problem. Without proper duplicate of the same errors we lose the way to confirm it.

A clean install many times helps/helped on problems that can't/couldn't be nailed down.

Very possible what paulopanz wrote for you is correct. For me the model worked right out of the box without doing any modification.

Sometimes RL come in the way answer right away, patience is a virtue.

Thank you Logan4,

Well, since I have never done a clean and proper install before of more than 1 SF version, several files must have been corrupted or missing.

I understand, thank you for your time.

Best regards!