rjw

Field Mods to aircraft

Now here is a mod I would love to have. I call it "Finally a view from a Camel".

This photo makes me wonder/speculate if the WOFF Devs might possibly have some field mods for us in the works. I'm not holding my breath for that, but who knows!

post-52329-0-65342400-1362426800.jpg

Can't get the picture any larger, so I can't make out what the field mod is???

Can't get the picture any larger, so I can't make out what the field mod is???

Sorry Olham, that is my fault. I took it for granted that the upper wing cut out would be obvious but it "obviously" isn't.

Note that the upper wing cutout is significantly wider and the rear portion of the wing has also been removed.

Okay, now that you said it...

I'm not so familiar with the Camel, but after checking some photos, I see that the

"attic window" looks wider indeed here; also the rear cutout is not a small round

but a square wider one. I never fly the Camel because of the bad vision it offers.

So your wish is very understandable to me.

I wonder why they didn't build them all like that?

Okay, now that you said it...

I'm not so familiar with the Camel, but after checking some photos, I see that the

"attic window" looks wider indeed here; also the rear cutout is not a small round

but a square wider one. I never fly the Camel because of the bad vision it offers.

So your wish is very understandable to me.

I wonder why they didn't build them all like that?

I wouldn't be surprised if there would be some performance/handling issues as a result of the cutouts as well.

With THAT amount of the airframe missing, I suspect a steep dive would have a very unpleasant outcome!

Guys, I bet the Sopwith company was well able to build the wing frame between the struts

stabile enough to hold everything together as it should. I don't think it would have shown

any performance issues, as the cutout is in the very center of the wings - should be no

problem.

You may be correct Olham, I just thought there might be some impact on lift and less air resistance in tight turns. I can't substantiate any of this so it was more or less just a case of "wondering"!! I would think that if this was a field mod and proved to be effective, why wouldn't the whole squadron adopt it? Just a thought!