General Dynamics F-16A - German Luftwaffe

F-16A, Jagdbombergeschwader 31 "Boelcke", 1980

img00001-6_zps6bb2f58e.jpg

img00003-5_zps52762fb7.jpg

img00004-4_zps8b09a23c.jpg

img00005-2_zps1349dad5.jpg

img00006-2_zpscda3da8c.jpg

img00007-1_zps4b6dffb1.jpg

Sorry for the poor image quality, but photobucket seems to have problems with bmp-files at the moment.

• Like 4

convert them to jpg, maybe??

is this for TK's SF2:I F-16 or the Viper Teams???

if for TKs, I did templates for it, and they're in the download section someplate... Tools/Utilities??? maybe???

It's for TKs... and yes... I used your great templates for it. :smile:

Pics were converted to jpgs, but it seems that I use the wrong settings for conversion.

Very interesting plane.

you can switch to jpg as a standart format iin SF2 no idea if it was changed in a patch or just type it in the options.ini

Cool idea!

ooooh what about a lizard green skin like on the RF-4Es in the 80's til retirement? sure theres the A-16 in Euro one but the Luftwaffes take on it looked pretty cool too

ooooh what about a lizard green skin like on the RF-4Es in the 80's til retirement? sure theres the A-16 in Euro one but the Luftwaffes take on it looked pretty cool too

Can you by chance upload a pic to show me the correct skin? I'm thinking about creating another skin with bavarian flag tail for the JBG 32 stationed in Lechfeld

sorry bout takin so long. been working and packing all weekend long.

• Like 1

Do you by chance mean something like this?:

img00001.png

img00002.png

• Like 5

Very nice one! Norm 31 on the Falcon really looks like it means business... however, for the sake of realism, I think the F-16 would have retained its fighter-bomber mission and thus be painted in Norm 81.

Norm 83 was for strikers and other non-fighters only.

Thanks for the advice. So the first camo would be the correct one then, right? Nevertheless I think that the Falcon is looking nice in Norm 83... :smile:

Edited by ValAstur

Certainly it does... :) and it is more unique, because the 'correct' Norm 81 was predominantly grey - and there are lots of grey Falcons already...

The first camo is Norm 72 and correct for any bird before 1981. From 1981 onwards, Norm 81 A and B were introduced to the fighters (JG) and fighter-bombers (JaBoG).

Norm 81A:

http://www.jpsmodell.de/dc/draw/f4fn81a2.jpg

Norm 81B:

http://www.jpsmodell.de/dc/draw/f4fn81b2.jpg

Not too long ago, I made a skinpack for the Phantoms with Norm81B, it may give you an impression about that camo:

http://combatace.com/files/file/13395-f-4f-80-norm-81b-camouflage/

What camo would you especially recommend then? I would create another skin for a third JBG or JG using your recommendation then.

The problem is, that the Falcon does not have the shape of the Phantom such as upper intakes and so on.

Edited by ValAstur

Indeed. Interesring, I had not thought about it before...

While I would advise for Norm 81 (A or B does not matter), you would have to adapt it. There are no 'side' parts like on the Phantom with its high and boxy fuselage, the Falcon is rather flat. So I would only make upper surface with the three dark shades of grey (Quarzgrau, Basaltgrau, Staubgrau) and green (Grüngrau); and the two light greys (Lichtgrau, Steingrau) for lower surfaces/belly. Just forget the fuselage 'sides'.

Or maybe you find other ways to adapt it? You seem to have some love for the F-16, so I guess you know better than me what would work ;)

It would be interesting to see it in a pure fighter wing, say JG 74 Mölders, since the Falcon came from the lightweight fighter programme, which was followed with great interest in the Luftwaffe.

Edited by PraetorH

Sorry been busy IRL. That looks awesome even if not historically accurate. But this a what if thread.

@PraetorH

I'll give it a try. When the skin is finished, I'll post some pics then.

Cool skin.

The F-16 in german service is unrealistic, because only single engined plane. But it would have been the perfect choice for the Bundesluftwaffe.

The F-16 in german service is unrealistic, because only single engined plane. But it would have been the perfect choice for the Bundesluftwaffe.

Hmmm...don't understand that. The western german air force had several single engined fighter planes in her brief history: F-86 Sabre, F-104 Starfighter G-91 Gina... so why not the F-16?

And... this is still a "what-if" section :smile:

Hmmm...don't understand that. The western german air force had several single engined fighter planes in her brief history: F-86 Sabre, F-104 Starfighter G-91 Gina... so why not the F-16?

After the Starfighter with its many losses, the Luftwaffe became a bit oversensitive when it came to flight safety. Thus every fighting aircraft since the 70ies had to have two engines as a rule: Phantom, Tornado and Eurofighter.

Technically, Gepard is right.

Edited by PraetorH

Exactly. But the F-16 would have been a cool plane for the LW. Or even better the F-20.

Hey Praetor

I gave it a try painting the F-16 in Norm 81B camo for the JG 74. Hope you like the result. As stated before, the Falcon is "flat" compared to the Phantom, thats why there are no brighter surfaces on the upper side.

img00001.png

img00003.png

img00002.png

img00001.png

Edited by ValAstur
  • Like 4

The camo looks stunningly good! I am surprised how well it suits the Falcon :heart:

The bird still needs some fine tuning though:

- the markings: the Iron Cross was painted on the top of the left wing and bottom of the right wing, and on both sides of the fuselage - and nowhere else (you've got too many crosses)

- in this time, the JG 74 was named 'Mölders' with the patch also named 'Mölders':

http://www.rc-networ...74/RCN-JG74.gif

- the number "37" was used for the Phantom; if possible you better chose another number (I know decals are time consuming work)

http://www.geschicht...JsR0UA_aAhRw!!/

- no sparrows for the Luftwaffe. It is a what-if, though. If you want to retain the sparrows that's ok.

Again, this is just fine tuning.

Edited by PraetorH

Thanks my friend. Since it was a project only, I simply took the decals that already existed. But now I put so much time and effort in this baby that I think that I will release it. I'm even thinking of a Marineflieger skin for the MFG 2. Since you seem to be the prime source for german military aviation, you can maybe tell me the correct colors to use.

Furthermore, I think I keep the Sparrows equipped. It adds some more firepower to the Falcon. But didn't the Phantoms use Sparrows?

Edited by ValAstur

The phantoms did not use sparrows.