Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

Pensuti-Caproni: the littlest Triplane

This Forum seems cloaked with an aura of serendipity: no matter what I look for, it seems I find other things of equal, or greater, value. This is the last fallout from the triplane hunt.

This from 'Jane's Fighting Aircraft of World War I.' (complied from 1914, 1916, 1917, 1919 & 1919) The text as follows:

Designed to do what [a] bicycle does for the man on the road, this little vehicle was ready for its trial flight when its builder, the late Emilio Pensuti, was killed in attempting to save a very valuable life for the country.

After a lapse of some months the machine was taken into the air by Lt. L. Montagani and did all that its lamented designer hoped of it.

The Pensuti 2, as it is named, leaves the ground after a run of 20 meters, and pulls up in the same distance.

With an Anzani Y, 33 hp engine, a speed of 95 kph has been attained, and a minimum speed of 40 is possible.

Rate of Climb: 1000 meters in 1/4 hr.

Span: 4 meters

Total length: 3.80 meters

Overall height: 2.40 meters

Weight in flying trim (including pilot) 230 kilos

Petro consumption per Flying Hour: 2 gallons

Oil Consumption per Flying Hour: 1/2 gallon

(I'd like to know who the "very valuable life" was.)

PENSUTI-CAPRONI TRIPLANE.jpg

Looks like a good design for an ultralight.

If you can land and take off is 20 meters, I'd say you have an ultra-light. After a bit more poking about, I find that while M. Pensuti envisaged it as an aerial bicycle for the average guy, the Italian Air Force used them for quick recon flights for the infantry. The Pensuti 2 remained in service until 1923.

When I found the color photo, I thought some one had built a flying replica. But, looking at the background, I don't think so.

373-3.jpg

Edited by Hauksbee

You have to wonder what twin vickers mounted on the cowl would do to that little baby!!!

Edited by rjw

Twin Vickers would have kept it from getting off the ground.

Hi JFM;

Not to mention, probably shaking it to pieces!

Edited by rjw