Hi,New install new problems .SF2Na install,Can get Japanese aircraft to fly all terrains and Generate enemy fighters on single missions,But not USN,USAF single missions for those generate the aircraft I pick to fly as enemy I have to shoot,But of course no aircraft show up and mission failed.I went into the nations.ini for each terrain and edited them to match the nations.ini in my flight folder thought that might do it.I was having the same problem with the japanese at first too.So I matched the nationsID's with the ones in the terrains and changed Japanese Empire to Imperial Japanese Naval Air Force and that seemed to fix the japanese Problem as now I have enemy aircraft to face as japanese pilot.But when I try single mission as USN,USAF fighter I get no Japanese planes to face.Whats really weird is if I select Dive,Torpedo bomber the game will generate enemy ground targets but not fighters.So far If I try to fly USN,USAF on central pacific terrain the game locks up a problem from the start,But Japanese can fly it ok?I Though the nations.ini's not initially matching up with terrains nations.ini was the problem.I cant think of what else to check,Has anybody else run into this?What do I do to fix? Any constructive help would be greatly apprieciated. :blowup:

the nations.inis in the TERRAINS are specific for THOSE terrains...they should not be editated. They were set up purposefully as they were. LimitedNations= should be set to true for all of them

which version of the Marianas are you flying??? the "invisible airfield" no longer works in SF2, post NA. I don't remember if I posted the 'new' CV zoned water bmp

the hawaii map needs a complete overhaul to bring it to NA standards (how I'm gonna fake Enterprise and Lex's locations is a mystery to me....). It also needs a new cv zoned water bmp

and Midway no longer works at all ...at least not for me. Again, another that needs overhauling, and figuring out HOW to get an 'ivnisible' runway to work on Sand Island

By invisible runway do you mean one that works with just the terrain tile only? I have one working in the BoB terrain. I ended up using one of Gepards "platte" lods with no bit map to represent the runway and a new runway ini for it. Not sure if the invisible lod is even required but I figured it would give the bombers something to aim at during airfield strike missions.

AIRFIELD_SLB kurz.ini (in the Midway terrain)

is the control file. yes, this the 'no lod runway'

as to Hawaii, I'd forgotten FastCargo wanted me to look at it for another of his "secret projects", and I've got a new working waterbmp, with operational CV zones. Need to test it in WW2, as it's for a more "modern" scenario. And that's all I can say on the subject. For Now :biggrin:

I'm putting together the Marianas 'fixit pak' now, so that'll be uploaded today. Works (almost) perfectly for me!!

The major problem with Hawaii, is if adding the USN zone, the Carrier Striking Force will go after them, as opposed to ONLY going after Pearl Harbor and targets on Oahu.

There's gotta be a way around that....

hhhmmmm.....maybe like Inida/Pak ... an "enemy only" zone for the IJN????......hmmmmmmm

Edited by Wrench

So,Hang this one up till the new ones come out?As far as the nations thing how could that work if the nationsID's were the wrong numbers compared to the one in the flight folder.It was like they were for an earlier version SF1 of course nations.ini.Can we just have the WW2 nations version without the modern countries in our flight folder or do we have to keep the whole Enchilada? Over. :blink:

usafphantom2, d'load Wrenchs' CentralPacific fixit pack here: http://combatace.com/topic/77469-sf2-ww2-central-pacific-terrain-fix-it-pak/ You'll need to add the WaterMap statement to the main ini: WaterMap=CentralPacific_Water.bmp. Never mind the Nations ini in the flight folder, the CentralPacific_nations ini is what's important. In the LimitedNationsList the nation that is listed as Enemy or FriendlyNation=001 controls what kind of strikes you get; if the Japanese Empire is first the US carriers will target land bases, if the IJN is first the US carriers will attack the Jap carriers.

The main problem is, the USAF has nothing to do with the Mariana's campaign (or terrain, in this instance) -- it's a pure navy (ok, and Marines!) show. Hence, the LimitedNaitons NOT listing the Air Force. However, since the AAF has no carrier capable aircraft... and 'off map basing' is not allowed (or allowed for). I wonder if adding it forces the game engine to give you land-attack missions (other than CAS Armed Recon)?

-----------

to answer the other question...

TK's game engine is designed to look into folders first, THEN in the cat files

so, anything inside a specific folder, be it aircarft, ships, tank or Sister Sara's Mule, will be seen by the engine before anyting else.

In the case of terrains, the terrains' nations ini takes precedence OVER the standard Nations ini, even is said N.ini is in the /Flight folder. (pureblue taught us this with the Anatolia terrain -- in the main nations ini, both Greece and Turkey are Friendly Nations)

But you still need the WW2 nations ini to HAVE, to ID the various enemy and friendly forces.

Think of the main nations ini as the roots/trunk of the tree, and the terrain's nations ini as the branches

Edited by Wrench

edit..

hhmm.... one could try and add the 7th AF bases for Liberators on Tuvalu, in the Gilberts, about 1000 miles to the south/south west as an "off map base", like the Badgers/Blinders/etc on IcelandNA

They'd have to start below the bottom left corner, which is the 000000,000000 position, and I KNOW we can't have negative numbers

we need to ask JonathonRL about that one....

Edited by Wrench

Oh boy, guess what happens when you make USMC FriendlyNation001? First, when USN is FriendlyNation001, the Jap carriers go after the USN Task Forces as defined by the WaterMap and the NavalStrike mission ("Strike the enemy CV-6 USS Enterprise Battle Group operating in the area. Sink the lead ship..."). When USMC is FN001, the Jap carriers start targeting TF58.2, TF58.3, and get this, the USMC Landing Forces (usualy the CVE Casablanca), as defined by the Targets ini. (The same thing happens with USAF, which I only tried to see if the game would crash :biggrin: It didn't.). I don't know all that much about it, but this seems like pretty interesting stuff; as it allows you to "tailor" what kind of strikes you want each side to make. For example, I installed the Hawaii terrain, added the NA statements to the main ini, and made a Quick and Dirty WaterMap. With USAF as FN001, the Jap carriers only attack land targets (the bases on Oahu). If USN is FN001, they attack the American carriers. I don't know if this will work in campaigns, but I don't see why not. I think someone with more knowledge than I (Wrench) could probably use this to interesting effect.

these are uncharted waters for me.... (pun intended). Need a campaign guy to comment -- or TK hisself (doubtful)

but that discovery is EXCEEDINGLY interesting!!! (for Hawaii).

Yeah, from your post further up in this thread (about CV zones in Hawaii terrain) I thought you might be interested. Credit really goes to snapper21, you remember, he posted the solution to my Carrier vs Carrier problem (IJN/USN as EN/FN001); I just fooled around with it till something good happened.