UK_Widowmaker

A Century Later........

And they still look Deadly!

post-22245-0-82516600-1362732960.jpg

• Like 2

Oh, what a nice picture. Didn't have this one yet - thanks for sharing, Widow!

Maybe they look deadly - like sharks?

But I also find, their curves and their sleek lines are timeless beautiful.

You know - although there were better fighters in the later war, I am still only

attracted to fly the Albatros. Even though winning my fights gets harder and

harder, and at some time almost impossible... It must be love...

Nice picture! It's great that so many replicas are being built. Now they won't have to butcher any more of the declining number of Tiger Moths. But...on the foreground Alb., isn't that a WWII Balkan Cross?

They're beautiful as sailing ships.

Nice picture! It's great that so many replicas are being built. Now they won't have to butcher any more of the declining number of Tiger Moths. But...on the foreground Alb., isn't that a WWII Balkan Cross?

Only coincidentally. Those are the markings of Kurt Jentsch when he was in Jasta 61, 1918.

Edited by Dej

Only coincidentally. Those are the markings of Kurt Jentsch when he was in Jasta 61, 1918.

Thanks, Dej. While saving the pic., I discovered another pic. of the same plane, but from a different angle, here making a run on a hot air balloon.

About-to-bag-_-_-_-1.jpg

I wonder if Richard Branson is in it?

(The Balloon that is)

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

I wonder if Richard Branson is in it?

(The Balloon that is)

Well, the balloon IS full of hot air...

• Like 1

...on the foreground Alb., isn't that a WWII Balkan Cross?

Hauksbee, it is not a "Balkan cross" - Germany has nothing to do with the Balkan.

It is called in German "Balkenkreuz" ("e", not "a") - a cross of (straight) beams so to say.

This cross was introduced in March or April 1918; the former "Tatzenkreuz" or "Eisernes Kreuz"

(cross patty or Iron Cross) had to be overpainted the new way.

Edited by Olham

It is called in German "Balkenkreuz" ("e", not "a") - a cross of (straight) beams so to say.

Thanks Olham. I have, on numerous occasions, meant to post that question because it just seemed so out-of-place that a national insignia would be named for another country/region.

Thanks, Dej. While saving the pic., I discovered another pic. of the same plane, but from a different angle, here making a run on a hot air balloon.

He's got it easy, no Archie anywhere.

That is a fine photograph. I love the finish of the fuselages. It is just varnished natural wood isn't it?

That is a fine photograph. I love the finish of the fuselages. It is just varnished natural wood isn't it?

Thin strips of plywood.

Wayfarer, if you want to see a complete photo build story of an Albatros, "The Vintage Aviator" has it.

It is an absolutely great documentation of their building of the first Albatros D.Va replica.

See here:

http://thevintageavi...a/build-gallery

Edited by Olham

Thanks Hauksbee and Olham. When you see how much work went into them, it seems criminal that they ever had to get shot at!

Indeed! It shouldn't be allowed to shoot down any Albatros!