Sign in to follow this  
Jack Morris

Cannot Mod Terrains, They are Security Catalogs?

Hello All!

I am not sure if this is is the right place to ask this, so apologies for that.

I have downloaded and am trying to mod quite a few of my stock terrains for a more immersive campaign experience.

I have Strike Fighters 2, installed in the correct order all the way up to expansion 1, 2 and North Atlantic.

All the terrain downloads give me instructions to place in the existing folders, and overwrite.

However when I go into Program Files/ Thirdwire/ Strike Fighters 2/ Terrains

All terrains are there, however they are not folders, they are "Security Catalogs and I can't open them!

Can someone help me please! Have I done anything wrong? Everything is as it should be!

Thanks Alot for any Replies!

Jack :)

Those are not the Terrain folders

Visit this website and download and install the CAT File Extractor for Strike Fighters 2 Apr 2012

http://www.thirdwire...loads_tools.htm

Open the extractor and then find each of the catalog files you mentioned with the extarctor, you must extract everything from each terrain.cat and then place the contents in the terrain folders located in user/savedgames/thirdwire/strikefighters2/terrain/(terrain type), this should have been created when you started SF2 the first time and is the place where all mods will be installed.

Once you've done this you can modify the Terrain_data.ini, terrain_target.ini etc. the way you wish.

Hope this helped.

Edited by warthog64

actualy, all you need are the terrrians.....

_data.ini

_targets.ini

_types.ini

_nations.ini (a big maybe on this)

the extracted "bits" go into a same named sub-folder in the /Terrains folder in you Mods folder

why would one need all the tiles (bmp and tga). Lods aren't a problem, as they've all been locked away

edit: by default the /Terrains folded does NOT exist, and it has to plural ... ie: Terrains

Edited by Wrench

Hmmm.... I can get to: user/savedgames/thirdwire/strikefighters2/ but there are no terrain folders inside. Very strange! Maybe I should create them, if so what should I call them?

edit: by default the /Terrains folded does NOT exist, and it has to plural ... ie: Terrains

Ah thank you!!! What do I name the folders inside that? For instance is GermanyCE acceptable?

Edited by Jack Morris

the individual terrain folders are ALWAYS named as their "main ini" (ie: VietnamSEA, GermanyCE, CenUS, etc)

this should be explaned (hopefully!) somewhere's in the Knowledge Base

Sorry for the mistakes, I havn't done this in a long time and just forgot. I however do prefer to extract and move all the bmp and tga files but as wrench said it's not necessary.