Boresight

Outstanding - post damage delayed/cumulative effects

Hello again,

I'm amazed as in SF2 NA, one's aircraft can keep develop increasing damage, much after being hit !

That's right, I thought that kind of features were only in BMS Falcon and the alikes.

Summarizing:

There I was at SF2 NA, flying "created missions", F-14A vs F-15A Baaz 'guns only':

- ( ok it wasn't 'guns only' from my part );

- before taking all of the Eagle's one managed to hit my right side wing and some of the adjacent fuselage with guns - many dark grey bullet holes were visible;

- by luck my Tomcat's engines kept working at 100 %, and I didn't see anyother systems damaged;

- also didn't look much for warnign lights inside the cockpit at that time;

- however, aprox. 5 or 6 minutes after the fight's ended, I was RTB above angels 30 and about Mach 2.3, (full afterburner long time) then:

- small fire (not smoke) trails erupted out of each engine's exaust;

- few seconds after, a big fire started from the all back fuselage.

That's when I realised, me, my RIO & my "30 million dollar" Tomcat were doomed.

I've cut off the engines ( CTRL + I ) as fast as I could, pitched the jet upwards, supposedly at high altitude there's less oxigen, but no avail, that's when some explosions begun to desintegrate all of us.. too late to eject.

Liked a lot to see this featured in game though - give's it more the simulator character.

PS - I've choosen that angles on pics, so you could see there's no one behind me - though not the best to see the rear fuselage fire.

Were the most of you aware of this kind of features? Thank you.

post-80702-0-84690800-1362927995_thumb.jpg

post-80702-0-69520800-1362928011_thumb.jpg

I was flying a corsair against 8 Tony's and got some bullet holes and as I was RTB my left wing exploded and I lost half a wing out of nowhere and had to bailout over the fleet to complete mission.I'm supposed to have selfsealing tanks.

Edited by usafphantom2

I was flying a corsair against 8 Tony's and got some bullet holes and as I was RTB my left wing exploded and I lost half a wing out of nowhere and had to bailout over the fleet to complete mission.I'm supposed to have selfsealing tanks.

Precisely the same feeling - everything appears to be "stable", and than the damage sustained pop's in !

I even tryed to deploy the speedbrakes after pitching the aircraft up, to loose speed and get less structural forces acting on aircraft or something, but that's when the explosions started... and you know the rest.

I once flew with a gripen without wings for 10 minutes.

These features came earlier than NA. Sometimes you will even notice that if a fire start at the engine and you shut it down, the fire eventually disappear. But if the engine is started again the fire can start depending on the amount of damage. Or look how the airframe become weaker after combat or stress damage.

I remember an Operation Darius mission where I got shredded real good with a Chinese AAM, nursed my bird all the way back, PITA but hey it was worth the experience...

yeah, accumulated damage does work in SF2 even in the earlier series i think. Try overloading your plane with Gs and see what happens. though in your case i think you just overheated your engine by going on Mach 2.3 for a long long time. Ive blown a lot of tomcats trying to hit mach 3 :biggrin:

yeah, accumulated damage does work in SF2 even in the earlier series i think. Try overloading your plane with Gs and see what happens. though in your case i think you just overheated your engine by going on Mach 2.3 for a long long time. Ive blown a lot of tomcats trying to hit mach 3 :biggrin:

lol if it can't do it, it can't in SF2...

These features came earlier than NA. Sometimes you will even notice that if a fire start at the engine and you shut it down, the fire eventually disappear. But if the engine is started again the fire can start depending on the amount of damage. Or look how the airframe become weaker after combat or stress damage.

Ok, I'm glad these features do exist.

How can I tell the airframe is weaker? By geting the wings ripped in some high G maneuver?

I remember an Operation Darius mission where I got shredded real good with a Chinese AAM, nursed my bird all the way back, PITA but hey it was worth the experience...

What were you flying btw?

Haha! Trying to hit mach 3.. LOL ok I give you that must have been fun ! ( Although the F-14 isn't capable of it, neither the F-15 Eagle is.)

Yes, the engine overheat is also another possibility.

Edited by Boresight

Yeah it can't but its quite an experience going mach 2.++ watching the counters slowly go up as you loose fuel and go higher trimming the nose down or up looking for that magic profile to get that extra speed until you run out of fuel or map or Kaboom!

P.S. i once did an unrealistic version of the tomcat by reducing 50% of the tomcats weight and multiplying the Slthrust by 2 and increasing the stress limit on the engine. went mach 3+ then Boom.

Edited by saisran

Yeah it can't but its quite an experience going mach 2.++ watching the counters slowly go up as you loose fuel and go higher trimming the nose down or up looking for that magic profile to get that extra speed until you run out of fuel or map or Kaboom!

P.S. i once did an unrealistic version of the tomcat by reducing 50% of the tomcats weight and multiplying the Slthrust by 2 and increasing the stress limit on the engine. went mach 3+ then Boom.

What do you mean by "stress limit on the engine"? What kind of stress? Do I reach it by keeping some time at top speed? Full throtle?

E

What do you mean by "stress limit on the engine"? What kind of stress? Do I reach it by keeping some time at top speed? Full throtle?

In this series, engines have intake and exhuast temperature thresholds that can be exceeded by staying in afterburner for too long, or by attempting to achieve too high an airspeed at low altitudes. You can also suffer an engine failure from low oil pressure, or high oil temperature (both of those occur only after your engine is damaged by either cannon fire or missile fragments).

Edited by Fubar512

Thank you Fubar.

Yes, I fully understand it, and to me, that all tranlates to a more real kind of sim.

Although in my case, I was at high altitude, I really was at a very high speed. Also the engine might have been hit.

Hey there! From the sound of it, your engines overheated. Definitely.

I'm sure the Thunderwarrior can help you (stats and stuff) to achieve your dream machine. Going Mach 3 is only limited by terrain of course...

I have flown a fuselage and landed,Only to be told I'm deadmeat,So now F5 after a run if ok keep going if not hit the silk and take my chances.But there was one time in korea when i sustained engine damage,started to flame up,So I killed the engine went into a dive put out flames,Restarted the engine and was able to RTB and sucessful mission Now that I thought was cool modelling.

Hey there! From the sound of it, your engines overheated. Definitely.

You're absolutely right - it happened again, this time without my aircraft being hit by anything.

I really was flying on afterbuners for long time (still, cheking the fuel), proceding to get in range for an AIM-54 shot.

In the " TMF Tomcat ", a warning ligth appeared indeed on the cockpit " reduce speed ".

And at the HSD's left side, there's some bar indicators which I bellieve are; RPM; Turbine Inlet Temperature; Fuel Flow... at least they were in the Spectrum Holobyte's " TOPGUN: Fire at Will ! " :biggrin:

I don't remember right now if the turb. inlet temp. bars are showing criticaly high on this case, (probabily they do).

I'm really enjoying this sim!

post-80702-0-06790900-1362965844_thumb.jpg

post-80702-0-27785500-1362965860_thumb.jpg

post-80702-0-76477400-1362965879_thumb.jpg

I'm sure the Thunderwarrior can help you (stats and stuff) to achieve your dream machine. Going Mach 3 is only limited by terrain of course...

Hi Eric, what's a thunderwarrior? (im 12 at heart and i'm intrigued! "Thunder Warrior!")

You're absolutely right - it happened again, this time without my aircraft being hit by anything.

I really was flying on afterbuners for long time (still, cheking the fuel), proceding to get in range for an AIM-54 shot.

In the " TMF Tomcat ", a warning ligth appeared indeed on the cockpit " reduce speed ".

And at the HSD's left side, there's some bar indicators which I bellieve are; RPM; Turbine Inlet Temperature; Fuel Flow... at least they were in the Spectrum Holobyte's " TOPGUN: Fire at Will ! " :biggrin:

I don't remember right now if the turb. inlet temp. bars are showing criticaly high on this case, (probabily they do).

I'm really enjoying this sim!

Yup, Definitely a blown engine. (Note the asymmetric bar) you can keep the tomcat at mach speeds at 70-80% power at altitudes around 30K i think. If all six bar are on full chances are you're about to blow your engine. Im not sure what they are for exactly probably RPM and engine/oil pressure and temp. Caesar most probably know what they are.

Hi Eric, what's a thunderwarrior? (im 12 at heart and i'm intrigued! "Thunder Warrior!")

Its in the downloads section, it was a prototype that FC did a while back. F-103 thunderwarrior.

• Like 1

So got the Thunderwarrior and finally got around trying to make an F-14 Super Awesome although i'm still a bit short. the thunder warrior gets to Mach 3.42 @ 60K ft and i only managed mach 3.06 @ 26K ft.

So referencing the Thunder Warrior and this two Thread

http://combatace.com/topic/21867-definitions-of-aero-coefficients/page__p__96438

http://combatace.com/topic/12100-basic-ini-editing-enginex/

I was able to achieve the following

Super Cruising at mach 1.37

img00176.JPG

Maintaining mach 1 at 23% throttle with nose slightly down ( this is a bit too much have to find a way to prevent this)

img00194.JPG

And reaching mach 3.06 for 5 secs before catching fire...

img00186.JPG

Will have to check going if mach 3 at higher alt prevents the plane from catching fire. I tried to copy the Coefficient and mach data from the Thunderwarrior directly but the game CTD when i do this. infact each time i give too high a limit on the lines governing Temperature the game CTD's, Anyway putting the flames out are rather easy (Ctrl+I to cut the engine and throttle down a bit of rolling or AoA can also help) and most of the time the tomcat flies away unharmed. Although there are instances when this happens..

img00182.JPG

img00183.JPG

Ctrl+I left engine ignites Ctrl+I again and right engine ignites and vice versa) I had better luck landing a tomcat with the stabs or bits of the wing missing than having asymmetric thrust.

Tried the same with the TW tomcats got supercruise and up to mach 2.6 but that's all

heres the Data.ini if anyone is interested in helping :)

F14.rar

MachLimit=

May also be an issue, in the [Flight Control] section.

MachLimit does what it says, it limits the airframe to a certain Mach number (whether or not the plane can actually go that fast...) but in the case of the Super Duper Tomcat it may be the issue causing some of the problems saisran is having with her plane.

The B and D model Tomcats had an amazing amount of thrust, It seems like they should have been easily able to surpass mach 2.3.

Edited by Icarus999