Number6

Affect of player damage on Campaign

If you (or another friendly flight) destroy a runway at an enemy airbase in a mission, does it stop generating flights for some period of time? Or is it automatically "repaired" before your next campaign mission?

I guess the same question goes for key radar and SAM sites. I can see how some of that can be re-supplied and repaired, after some period of time. But I hope it buys you a window of time when that site is down, so you can clear out a relatively safe area you can use as a lane for deeper strikes later.

This in particular relates to Wings over Europe, but I'm also interested if it's the same for the other SF1 sims. Thanks for satisfying my curiosity...

I think targets damage is not persistent between missions. Its more like random mission generator with moving front based on your success in missions. So only moved front can take over enemy base to stop generating flights from it. Also i think aircraft numbers are tracked for each unit so when ACs get shot down its possible squadron runs out of ACs / pilots. In Wings Over Vietnam front is static and dosent advance as in RL.

Edited by ataribaby

It does not to be, that you can stopping the use of an airfield by bombing it.

I have tried it in various campaigns, for instance the 1967 campaign for WOI. I played for the Jordanians and bombed all runways in the North of Israel, but this does not stop the Israelis flying from this bases.

Runways can be repaired VERY quickly, matter of hours, with material and machines stored at every airbase....

I think targets damage is not persistent between missions. Its more like random mission generator with moving front based on your success in missions. So only moved front can take over enemy base to stop generating flights from it. Also i think aircraft numbers are tracked for each unit so when ACs get shot down its possible squadron runs out of ACs / pilots. In Wings Over Vietnam front is static and dosent advance as in RL.

No - targets stay destroyed in campaigns - you will only notice this in WOI probably due to the missions being every day - in WOV the missions are spread out over months so targets are repaired again by then.

Runways can be repaired VERY quickly, matter of hours, with material and machines stored at every airbase....

The Chinese and NViet guys had plenty of practice at this during Vietnam - one reason why runway denial bombs were developed with mines I suspect

Its true. But the effect is overrated in game. In 1967 six days war campaign i bombed Ramat David Airfield at 8 in the morning and at the next mission at 12 o clock the base was operatinal again. So i destroyed it again only to see, that it was operational again for the evening mission.

Other terrain, other campaign. Battle of Brittain terrain for the 60th. My Hunter squadron operated from Biggin Hill. The airfield was attacked by waves of Vatours and they bombed the runway. Normaly the airfield must close, because you cant land on a destroyed runway. In game it went fine. All planes landed perfectly without damage.

With a little more Googling, I notice that runways seem to have a "RepairRate=X" line in one of the CAT files. I haven't experimented with it, but maybe tweaking that value would make repairs happen faster or slower.

all terrain _types.ini listing have the entry. easier to simply pull the _Types.ini and study it

Very interesting. So damage is persistent and saved to campaing save game. Clever. I didnt know. Thanks for heads up on this.

No - targets stay destroyed in campaigns - you will only notice this in WOI probably due to the missions being every day - in WOV the missions are spread out over months so targets are repaired again by then.

The Chinese and NViet guys had plenty of practice at this during Vietnam - one reason why runway denial bombs were developed with mines I suspect