Sign in to follow this  
macelena

Anyone else feeling nostalgic?

While moving boxes around at home, i happily found my old Pentium 133 desktop PC from around fifteen years ago. I couldn´t resist, and plugged it back...what a heavy piece of junk to move upstairs...and it was just the way i left it. Talk about Tron.

I still had a campaign in Sierra´s "Fast Attack" 688 sub simulator, stuck on the mission i was playing the 11th of September of 2001 when i heard something was going wrong in NY. I still had my flight sims, not as old as the Strike Eagle series (my first sim on my first PC) but some classics such as the then already platinum "Black Knight", in the wich i couldn´t talk about lack of planes, as it was just USMC F-18 vs MiG-29 (Graphics were so bad, there weren´t any roundels, so i could imagine it was the Spanish Air Force Hornets over the Balkans) Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator, (wich was quite more modern and allowed me to play all Battle of Britain as if i had Robert Shaw teasing me on my wing)

...and the fabulous Novalogic trio, F-22 "Contact Fantans, requesting permission to engage...We´re gonna finish what we started" , F-16 and MiG-29 ...not willing to bash anybody, but those 3D loadout screens were awesome, and i was crazy about the perversion of flying the MiG, the ultimate bad guy, back then, it was like going Klingon. And that menu music. For a while i remembered how i was at 8 years...well, not that i´m any different at 23 deep down.

I don´t know folks, do you use to experience such Total Recalls often? Just saying because it doesn´t get any better. I even loved the aircraft looking like cardboard models.

• Like 1

I have my old 386 in storage, and was told that I gotta get it out soon. F-15, Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, Star Wars X-Wing and Tie Fighter series. LucasFilms BOB, and SWOTL. Microprose F-19 and Dynamix A-10....all running in DOS (I will have to reach deep to remember the commands to run em.. C:CD\SWOTL....SWOTL). I know where all the 5 1/4 and 3.5" disks are, whether they still work or not is a question. They will probly disintegrate as soon as the write hed touches them.

"Contact Fantans, requesting permission to engage...We´re gonna finish what we started"

This.

But as I recall, it´s alot more to it.

"Contact Fantans. Request permission to chase."

"Negative Raptor Lead, Return to base immediately."

"Are you going to listen to him or are we going to finish what we started?"

"I am warning you, Raptor Lead. Abort Abort Abort"

Still, those Fantans was a Secondary Objective so of course you engage.... :D

Tie Fighter series

I wish they release a HD version of this. Or at least one that does not make me have to use Dosbox or the Wine Install trick.

At weekend i was looking for an old Star Trek game but i was unable to found it. But i found a CD with good old European Air War.

I installed it and enjoyed it. The graphics are compared to today outdated, but the feeling of this game was outstanding.

I showed it to my son, who knows and playes IL2 a lot and he was impressed of the entire mass of planes in combat.

Now i must only find out, how i can play EAW in a windowed mode.

While moving boxes around at home, i happily found my old Pentium 133 desktop PC from around fifteen years ago. I couldn´t resist, and plugged it back...what a heavy piece of junk to move upstairs...and it was just the way i left it. Talk about Tron.

Isn't it interesting? While todays junk just drops dead 3 minutes after warranty expiration these oldies but goldies work even after 15-20 years. I just had a bad case of stuff dying in my PC, graphics card died for no reason, CD/DVD burner died and my main hard drive started allocating sectors(replacing bad sectors). It was like wham, triple damage, also tried connecting my old AMD AXP based configuration, and ofcourse, everything works...talk about quality of todays hardware...

Sorry if I went OT.

The EAW modding scene is quite strong. Look it up and you'll find a slew of new planes and other additions as well as some limited graphics updating. It doesn't look like Il-2 or anything, but it's at least looking a bit better.

My PCs from those eras are long gone. Due to continually upgrading my lone PC, I never have anything left but a piece here and there I fail to sell. I did for many years have an actual 2nd PC for my wife, but we finally tossed it when we got our good laptop in 2008 (still have it, actually, and she uses it daily, C2D 2.4GHz w/4GB RAM, other than smallish HD no need to replace it). I think it was a P3-550? It was made up of the parts my main PC no longer needed for a long time, but then I sold my mobo with my CPU one time and that stopped. So it stagnated running Win98 and I think had my Voodoo2 card and all. As I said, it got less and less use until it sat unused for like 5 years when we got the laptop. At that point, it became surplus and we tossed it as there was no room for it.

Got a 2001 PC sitting by my desk - acts a shelf these days since I put XP on a VM

All my other stuff works in Win 7 - for true nostalgia I would need to get the Amiga 500 out and fire up FA-18 Interceptor

Makes me want my Commodore Amiga back to play F-18 Interceptor and Wings along with F-29 Retaliator...

Isn't it interesting? While todays junk just drops dead 3 minutes after warranty expiration these oldies but goldies work even after 15-20 years. I just had a bad case of stuff dying in my PC, graphics card died for no reason, CD/DVD burner died and my main hard drive started allocating sectors(replacing bad sectors). It was like wham, triple damage, also tried connecting my old AMD AXP based configuration, and ofcourse, everything works...talk about quality of todays hardware...

Sorry if I went OT.

I've had similar experiences. The quality of today's components is not comparable to that of similar components from 10-15 years ago. Motherboards were made with more layers, optical drives had thicker drive trays, and the 300 watt power supplies of the day seem to have weighed more than the 700+ watt models of today.

wow.. remember playing Novalogic F-22 Lightning II on a friend's computer whenever I was at her house, couldn't get enough :)

688 eh? Had that on a Sega Mega Drive when I was a kid... should still be at my dad's place. Been thinking about getting the PC version recently as as far as I can tell its still the most in deapth modern(ish) sub sim around.

Craig

688 eh? Had that on a Sega Mega Drive when I was a kid... should still be at my dad's place. Been thinking about getting the PC version recently as as far as I can tell its still the most in deapth modern(ish) sub sim around.

Craig

Had 688 on the Amiga - no idea what was going on at the time though - remember sending out pings and getting destroyed about 10 seconds later :biggrin:

Makes me want my Commodore Amiga back to play F-18 Interceptor and Wings along with F-29 Retaliator...

Had all 3 - Setting First Eagles 2 to start near the target gives a bit of a Wings 3D experience - but don't get the story line sadly

Didn't realise back then the F-29 was pretty much an F-5A with forward swept wings

Harrier Assault, Tornado, Fleet Defender and all those Microprose flight sims on the Amiga. There is still a sense of magic about all that.

I don't get nostalgic about EAW and Red Baron 3d because I still play them NOW!.....along with my Thirdwire games and IL2, CFS3 etc

I used to love Fleet Defender on my old 486 (first PC that was mainly mine, rather than the familys, after dad upgraded to an AMD K6), Also had AV-8B Harrier, but it tended to crash more often than I did. Tried Fleet Defender on Dosbox a few months ago - man, have I been spoiled or what? Remember, in FD you can *only* land on the carrier, trying to put down on a runway will crash your plane no matter how careful you are. One feature I really did like about it was back-seat driving - I'd spend most of the missions sitting in the back seat fiddling with the fishbowl display and TWS-M mode. Assign the targets in the right order, and you could get six almost simultaneous kills as all the missiles came down on their targets at the same time...

Back seat driving was also a favorite activity in Jane's F-15E, but since then I haven't seen any jet sims where you could use the back seat. It's a shame, really...