Sign in to follow this  
Olham

For Skinners: MFJ or Seefrosta Albatros Photo from Wingnut Wings

The Photo Archive at the "Wingnut Wings" website is always good for interesting pics.

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/

Here is one from a German Naval unit. The Jpeg description reads:

"Albatros D.Va Marine Field Jasta, Neumunster Seefrosta. Note the Halberstadt Cl.II no.24 & Albatros D.III no.12"

The crosses mean it must have been taken in 1918. Not sure, if they mean, here are both, MFJ and Seefrosta planes together.

Or were the Seefront-Staffeln (Seefrosta) parts of Marinefeldjagdstaffeln (MFJ) ?

And who's planes/markings do we see here?

A question for our historians.

full-27170-54020-albatros_d.va_marine_field_jasta_neumunster_seefrosta._note_the_halberstadt_cl.ii_no.24_albatros_d.iii_no.12.jpg

Edited by Olham

Hello Olham. From the info I have, this picture is of Seefront-Staffeln. 1 or 2 I dont know. But the D.V (third from right) with the thick white band boardered by (black?) bands belonged to Ltn. z S Reinhold Poss. He later would command the second flight, Seefrosta 2 (formed on August 11 1918). The picture must be early summer 1918 by the markings and because the Seefrosta began to recieve it's Fokker D.VII's by August 1918. Three on August 6 and six more on August 9. In September both Seefrosta units 1 and 2 would be incorporated into the Marinefeld Jasta units. On September 19th they would become MFJ IV and V.

BTW, there is a picture of Poss in his D.V on page 41 of Ospreys' Naval Aces of WWI Part 2 by Jon Guttman. A few good pics of MFJ units too.

Edited by quack74

Good info, thank you, quack74!

Do you have info, who was flying the other personalised aircraft in the photo?

Unfortunately I dont know the others. The MFJ's and the Seefrosta units had such great color schemes. It's a shame there isnt more pics and info on all of them.

Yes, indeed - let's hope someone will come up with some more knowledge.

I believe the fourth plane from the left belongs to "Gerhard Hubrich". His personal insignia was a yellow chicken breaking through a white egg on a blue background. Apparently this was a reference to his nickname of "kuchen," which means "chicken" in German.

Still researching the others.

Apparently this was a reference to his nickname of "kuchen," which means "chicken" in German.

Well-ll - almost. "Kuchen" means "cake" in German; a little yellow chicken would be "Kücken".

But I cannot recognise the 'Kücken' on that skin. Here is what OFF has for Hubrich's emblem:

Still researching the others.

Great! It may be hard to find anything though - tough job.

Well-ll - almost. "Kuchen" means "cake" in German; a little yellow chicken would be "Kücken".

But I cannot recognise the 'Kücken' on that skin. Here is what OFF has for Hubrich's emblem:

Olham;

I am probably wrong in saying I think it is Gerhard Hubrich! I just noticed that there is a triangle surrounding the white cirlce on the aircraft in the photo. I didn't see the triangle when I first looked at it. Hubrich didn't have a triangle on his craft as far as I know.

Identification of these aircraft markings is proving to be very challenging for me.

Edited by rjw

Yes, indeed. MFJ and Seefrosta are not so well known as the many Jasta.

I searched the web, but with little result.

Yes, indeed. MFJ and Seefrosta are not so well known as the many Jasta.

I searched the web, but with little result.

Olham;

Can you provide me with a higher resolution of that photo. You mention ALB DIII number "12" but I can't make out the numbers on the posted photo

Not I mentioned an Albatros "12" - it was the name of the "Wingnut Wings" picture.

I don't know what they meant.

Here are the close-up - it's all I have.

http://www.wingnutwi...E1225BC06B3020E

Edited by Olham

No 12 is painted on the vertical stabilizer of that D.III (OAW)

(it's obscured by the WW watermark on Olham's picture)

Here is the close up:

(lower left corner, again underneath www.wingnutwings.com)

Albatros%20D.Va%20Marine%20Field%20Jasta%20D.7533~17(possibly),%20Neumunster%20Seefrosta.jpg

Edited by elephant

Okay - but who's craft is it???