dtmdragon

Anyone know why real world F-16 aircraft don’t make use of a dual missile launcher for the AIM-120 etc?

Anyone know why real wold F-16 aircraft don’t make use of a dual missile launcher for the AIM-120 etc?

Edited by dtmdragon

i would think weight being the issue? followed closely by space under the wings

It may be possible, but not advisable. If i recall correctly, Spanish F-18s are wired to use AMRAAMs from the wingtip rails, however, they only carry IRIS-T, or Sidewinders before that. Well, once they carried Python 5 because the Israelis wanted to test their integration in our test-experimental unit...i guess the only reason for that was that they wanted to sell them to us or something

Space would probably be the answer as there is not a lot of room under there... or most probably clearance from other stores... for example drop tanks...

Edited by Slartibartfast

If use of CFT's on Vipers were to become more widespread maybe it would be a more attractive option?

Craig

Edited by fallenphoenix1986

F-16Cs can carry LAU-117s with the BRU-57/A on stations 3 and 7

The BRU-57 allows twin 1000lbs ordnance - so 2 x AGM-154s for example

So its not really space, drag, or weight that is stopping this from happening - probably more of - 'whats the point'.

Although ive seen photos - I doubt the BRU-57 would be used that much because it is still really draggy

Edited by MigBuster

I was thinking the same thing about the Phantoms in Vietnam... (after re-watching "Dogfights")

in today's aircrafts and missiles is seems a bit redundant

accuracy is higher, performance is higher, number of aerial opponents in war is lessen

There is also the carry life, or whatever they call it. A given missile can only be carried on a flight so many times before it's considered "expired" and must be scrapped or fired. You don't take a missile built in 2001 and fly it every mission until you fire it, even if it takes 10 years. Carrying a huge number of missiles when it's highly unlikely they'll be needed is a waste. The usual 2x2 strategy for IR/RH missiles makes sense for planes like the F-16/18 that aren't dedicated A2A. Those like the 14 and 15C that are usually carry 8, either 4x4 or 2x6.

So while it may look impressive to see a Flanker carrying 10+ missiles, it's not really a likely scenario.