Can anyone tell me if this is modelled in-game? I could swear it is, and that I've seen references to it in these very pages; now however, when I want to find a reference I can't. I just spent an hour going thru weapon data inis for missiles I thought must have it; no dice. If it is modelled I would appreciate a quick run-down; what do the ini entries look like, how it works, etc. Thanks in advance.

As far as I know the function is set through the Editor and not so much an Ini entry. But I think Fubar512 can answer whether it works or not as he's more of a guru than I am. But I can tell you that HOJ means that the seeker of the missile will start to home on the jammer source rather than a radar return, so either way you have it coming at you no matter what.

Been thinking about this myself recently really sick of launching a volley of 6 Phoenix to get 1 or 2 hits before vampire and then left unable to deal with the incoming missiles., Still havn't got to the point of trying to do anything about it though. Traditionally don't missiles have to be preset to launch in HOJ mode though? ie. you would need two seperate models of Phoenix?

Craig

• Like 1

You can have any radar guided missile with the "Home on Jam" feature checked off to work, not necessarily a specific missile.

Thanks, EricJ I know what it does in RL; I meant how it works in-game. Now that you mention it, I think you're right about the editor, I think maybe a check box? I'm off to check. Craig, I've got no idea, hpoefully Fubar512 will check in with, as always; the definitive answers.

No worries, yeah though I seriously doubt it works since you can't test it against a human player who's jamming...

Home on jam works well. It's easy enough to test:

Set up a naval mission against a ship equipped with SAMs, and make sure that they have that specific capability flag (HOJ) enabled. Fly against the ship with jamming off, and use chaff. Then, try it with HOJ on, and dump chaff. Run it ten times each way, and compare the averages. No HOJ, with chaff, 0 intercepts for 10 missions flown. HOJ on with chaff, 3 intercepts out of 10 missions flown. Remember that the frequencies should match (or overlap).

Remember that the frequencies should match (or overlap).

Fubar, this is one of the questions I have. The stock (TW) RIM-66B for instance has HOJ checked in the Weapons Editor but the Min/Max Freqs are both zero. How does that work? It also has zeros for CCM and Noise Rejection, which seems kind of wierd. Craig, I checked in the W.E., the Phoenix has HOJ.

Frequencies need to match the guidence radar, and if you want HOJ to work properly, the range of the targets jamming freqs.

CCM = counter-counter measure. Noise Rejection = self-explanatory. They are both percentages, 0 = none, 100 = total rejection of both jamming freqs and counter measure effectiveness.

Frequencies need to match the guidence radar, and if you want HOJ to work properly, the range of the targets jamming freqs.

CCM = counter-counter measure. Noise Rejection = self-explanatory. They are both percentages, 0 = none, 100 = total rejection of both jamming freqs and counter measure effectiveness.

Understood. Whoa, just went back and checked the RIM-66Bs' Data ini, as I said in my first post I'd just got done going thru umpteen Data inis, its Min/Max Freq range is 2-20. I think I was a little confused there. I was correct about its CCM and NR values though, I still think it's a little strange that its got no rejection capabilities at all as it is a fairly modern missile. As a further note, there are a lot of third party missiles with a zero frequency range, I assume from what you've said that this is incorrect.

Craig, I checked in the W.E., the Phoenix has HOJ.

Damn, kinda hopped it would be more effective than what I was already seeing. Incidently having altered nothing I had my first ever incidence of a no miss Phoenix volley last night, only took a year :blink:

Craig

Having a quick browse - the USSR bombers have Deception jammers - its possible that HOJ might not work as well on them - as in rumours ive seen that gate stealers dont present a target for HOJ.

anyway - test it against a noise jammer and see if it makes any difference.

i notice a huge difference if you have a weapon like the AIM-54 set as USAF or as a RED weapon (iran) the red weapon will be much more prone to ecm / chaff / flare and show no HOJ at all , in fact as soon as the target aircraft launches some chaff the missile go´s by the target with out exploding and in some cases the missile fly´s right true the target and no explosion or damage to the target

i made some test with the AIM-54A specific set for Iran and test with the AIM-23C , i was realy surprised about the missile missing the target most of the time while using the same missile set as USN on a USN F-14A kills its target 80% of the time even if the target aircraft uses chaff the missile go´s still for the target

i will check if the PilotTrainingStandard=EXCELLENT for USAF/USN or POOR for Iran play´s a roll here , or what is causing this

Ravenclaw, I'm glad you showed up here, the whole reason for my original post was information here: http://www.ausairpower.net/Falcon-Evolution.html#mozTocId264424 indicating that the AIM-26A and B Falcons had HOJ capability and I couldn't figure out how to add it. I saw that you are doing some awesome AIM-26s in the screenie thread so you might want to check that site out. I also saw some gorgeous AIM-54s in the same thread, are you doing any of the rest of the Falcons (specifically A thru D)? And last, don't take this as asking you to rush on your latest Weapons Pack, far from it, but I need a drool cup every time you post a new screenshot; this may be a first, in many cases the weapons are going to look better and have more detail than the planes carrying them. :good:

i have the HOJ added but i may have to check the frequency setting again , and no i just did the AIM-4D , and the AIM-26 / HM-55

the point Fubar made is very important and i have to double check my settings for the frequency on all of my weapons with HOJ

Ravenclaw, I don't often ask you 3D guys for much, even ini work can be time consuming (I have 3ds Max and so far I can't make heads or tails of it, or Blender, or :blackeye: , so far 3D and me is not to be). I'll figure it out eventually, tho, but until then the AIM-4As and Cs are really cryin' out for a little love. Could you...maybe?

Edited by SupGen

Um, Ravenclaw it came to me on my commute home this afternoon (one+ hour commute, plenty of time to think) that this wouldn't call for any 3D work at all; just two skins and an opaque seeker head for the A model. The A, C, and D shared basically the same body, rocket moter, fins, warhead etc. The major differences would be in the Data inis which I would be glad to help with, if necessary. (I've got all the USAF Standard Missile Characteristics publications and other documentation for the Falcons and their prime launch platform, the F-102A Delta Dagger.) Please consider this; the Razbam F-102A with Ravenclaw Falcons would be awesome in the extreme.

Very interesting conversation, sorry for rescuing from the depths, but I'm curious. Should the plane tell the pilot that the missile is on HOJ mode? I think I saw it on the DCS F-15, but not sure is on SF2.