does anybody have a picture showing a AGM-12E with a cluster munition warhead ????

i´m searching one urgently

Just search on google and you will find some pictures.

you are the best :hyper: , if i would have found a single picture i would not ask for help

• Like 2

Stipe...please...

I think Raven_Claw is smart enough to google for stuff before he asks for it.

Plus, after all of what he's done, I think he's entitled to some help, would you not agree?

As to Raven, I'll get home in a couple of hours, and I'll try to help you with your research.

an other thing i need info on is the clipped wing AIM-12C/E , when and why was it used for

normal AIM-12C/E wing

post-15260-0-06824500-1363823050_thumb.jpg

clipped AIM-12C/E wing

post-15260-0-54636000-1363823113_thumb.jpg

Federation american scientists page states the C was the bullpup b, with 1000 lb warhead, better than measly 250 pounder of the original. the E was a cluster bomb variant for anti AAA or SAM work only 840 built. Only educated guess on clip wings is maybe carriage on Skyhawks? The did carry Bullpups but were the smallest to do so. Hope this helps

Edited by daddyairplanes

This might be waaaaay off into dreamy land, but could've the clipped wing-tips mean internal carriage?

(B-1B, F-111, etc?)

Or as daddy-airplanes said, to be able to fit in smaller attack aircraft without interfering with the landing gear, etc.

yap , i think it may have to do with pylon / landig gear clearance , i have one picture showing the C with clipped wings on a F-4E and some pictures showing both versions on the A-4 , so if there is a rule about the version i still dont get it

clipped wings on F-4E

post-15260-0-86877300-1363829623_thumb.jpg

normal wings on A-4

post-15260-0-03379000-1363829657.jpg

clipped wings on A-4

post-15260-0-51837800-1363829847_thumb.jpg

post-15260-0-86959300-1363829707.jpg

In the late 1950s there were experiments in USA with wing-clipping (but mostly if not entirely on triangular/delta wings) as scientists were looking to reduce drag and therefore increase speed and/or range of the object. I wonder if by clipping the wings of the Bullpup, the producer might have been looking to achieve aerodynamic benefit?

Maybe as Svetlin said it could be a later wing configuration.

I've not find a single image that truly show an E model. :(

Out of curiosity... what kind of fuse or variant is that AGM-12B on the outer pylon on the color picture of the scooter?

i´m not sure but maybe the fuse is not fully installed yet ??? i was wondering my self what configuration that may be , a extended fuze would not realy make sense

Edited by ravenclaw_007

does anybody have a picture showing a AGM-12E with a cluster munition warhead ????

i´m searching one urgently

I loaded one in 1977 on a A-4M with VMA-331 at CAX 7-77, 29 Palms, CA.

The "E" is the same as the Fat Bodied "C". But where as the "High Explosive" Yellow Band on the "C" is toward the Nose, The "E" has it's Yellow Band around the Body, Mid way, with "CLUSTER BOMB UNIT" Stenciled on it in Black on the Yellow Line 4 times equally.

an other thing i need info on is the clipped wing AIM-12C/E , when and why was it used for

In Vietnam, enemy gunners on the ground adapted to the Bullpup launch methodology by firing toward the incoming smoke trail from the missile's flares, allowing them to hit launching aircraft. Pilots countered by jigging their flight path slightly to avoid anti-aircraft fire, with some success.

The AGM-12C Bullpup B represented a major step forward for the Bullpup. The missile was given a larger body section, enlarged wings, and a new Thiokol rocket engine with much greater thrust. This variant was first tested in 1962, and entered service in 1964. This was also the first variant adopted by the U.S. Air Force. The "Clipped Fins" were due to the extension of the Slats on A-4's and F-4E's. The Fins would sometimes touch the Slats durning Launch and would make it a handful to control by Pilot's Joy Stick. Fin changes were done at the Intermediate level Maintence Squadrons in the Air Force, Navy/Marines. This modifications began early 1968.

i´m not sure but maybe the fuse is not fully installed yet ??? i was wondering my self what configuration that may be , a extended fuze would not realy make sense

Proximity Fuze. Very, Very Rare.

Semper Fi!

331KillerBee

Edited by 331Killerbee
  • Like 3

Thanks a lot KillerBee :good:

do you remeber if the AIM-12E had some special visible join like a cluster bomb , or how did the center section of the E release the bomblets ?????

The lack of a Third Wire 'Bullpup' is strange isn't it?

These look awesome and remind me of those splendid Hasegawa Weapon Sets.

@. KillerBee , if i make a model of the AGM-12B with Proximity Fuze what settings would i have to change in the weaponsdata_ini

@. KillerBee , if i make a model of the AGM-12B with Proximity Fuze what settings would i have to change in the weaponsdata_ini

Fuzing Distance (M) set to 1000

This is the best way to simulate it given the limitations of the Game.

I'm getting in touch with a Buddy of mine that was in the USAF and handled AGM-12E's. Give Me a Day or Two. He knows all about them...

I'll get that Info for You too.

331KillerBee

• Like 1

OK Raven, Here we go.

My buddy served at Korat AB in the Early 70's. He was in a F-4E Squadron. He told Me that they used AGM-12E's only when the supply of AGM-45's was real low. He didn't have a real Picture of one, But he found one on the Net that was real close. It's of a Model of a AGM-12, but he said that there was only one problem. That it's marked "AGM-12D" when it's otherwise marked as a "E". Here it is........

121km.jpg

Now how it works is this...... As the Proximity Fuze goes off, The Band behind the G&C is allowed to fall away because it detonates a small Charge that opens the Tapered Section behind the G&C.( This is noted by the heavy Lines on the Tapered Section) Yes it Clam Shells but this is not how it disperses. It's only to allow the G&C to fall away. About 1/2 Second Later, The Fuze finishes it's sequence by blasting out 830 of these little Toys "SHOT GUN STYLE"...........

122ysv.jpg

This is what I recommend as Data for Your "E".........

[WeaponData001]

TypeName=AGM-12E

FullName=AGM-12E Anti-Air Defence Bullpup-B

ModelName=AGM-12C

Mass=810.000000

Diameter=0.420000

Length=4.140000

SubsonicDragCoeff=0.120000

SupersonicDragCoeff=0.222000

AttachmentType=NATO,USAF,UK,ISRAEL,TAIWAN,NORWAY

SpecificStationCode=

NationName=USAF

StartYear=1967

EndYear=1976

Availability=2

BaseQuantity=8

Exported=TRUE

ExportStartYear=1963

ExportEndYear=1983

ExportAvailability=1

WeaponDataType=1

RailLaunched=FALSE

RocketPod=FALSE

Retarded=FALSE

FinStabilized=TRUE

SpinStabilized=TRUE

HasGrowl=FALSE

EffectClassName=ClusterBombEffects

ReleaseDelay=0.500000

WarheadType=10

Explosives=453.000000

FusingDistance=200.000000

ClusterBomblets=830

ClusterDispersion=0.500000

GuidanceType=2

Accuracy=60

MaxTurnRate=4.000000

MaxLaunchG=2.500000

LockonChance=80

LaunchReliability=80

ArmingTime=6.000000

SeekerFOV=46.000000

SeekerGimbleLimit=46.000000

SeekerTrackRate=11.000000

SeekerRange=20000.000000

CLmax=14.000000

MinFreq=0.000000

MaxFreq=0.000000

MinLaunchRange=2000.000000

MaxLaunchRange=16000.000000

Duration=150.000000

CounterCountermeasure=0.000000

NoiseRejection=0.000000

CapabilityFlags=0x00000000

LoftAngle=0.000000

DescentAngle=0.000000

MaxLoftAltitude=0.000000

BoosterStart=0.500000

BoosterDuration=10.000000

BoosterAccel=6.070000

BoosterEffectName=MissileFireEffect

BoosterSoundName=Missile

BoosterNodeName=

BoosterPosition=0.000000,-1.600000,0.000000

SustainerDuration=0.000000

SustainerAccel=0.000000

SustainerEffectName=

SustainerSoundName=

SustainerPosition=0.000000,-1.600000,0.000000

InFlightEffectName=MissileInFlightFlareEffect

InFlightSoundName=

ReleaseAnimationID=-1

EODisplayFlags=0

CEP=0.000000

I hope this has been of some Help to You. Just Hollar' if You have any more Questions. :biggrin:

Semper FI!

331KillerBee :assassin:

Edited by 331Killerbee
  • Like 1

Wow, that's cool! Some thing you just can't get from the net!

I wonder what the combat efficiency of it was? AFAIK this is the only cluster-missile carried by US tactical aircraft, or am I wrong?

Wow, that's cool! Some thing you just can't get from the net!

I wonder what the combat efficiency of it was? AFAIK this is the only cluster-missile carried by US tactical aircraft, or am I wrong?

What I was told was that It was real accurate in a two-Seater Role. Not so much as a single-Seater due to Pilot Workload. It's Radio Controlled. A German WWII Technology.

Yes, It's the only Missle I ever knew of that had Cluster Bomb Warhead up until 1992. That's when I Retired. After that, Who knows? They may have several different Types by now.

331KillerBee

AGM-12B

Gentlemen,

I collect inert ordnance related items, including rockets, missiles and parts.  I recently purchased an AGM-12 nosecone and a set of wings from a surplus dealer.  According to the markings, it will fit a B-2, B-3, or C-2 series Bullpup.  I found your discussion while digging to the bottom of the Internet, in search of information, and especially photos that show enough detail to build the body of the missile in exact detail.  The nosecone I have includes a Mk15 T.D.D. (target detection device), which I believe is what the Scooter is wearing on its outboard hardpoint, in the photo that Ravenclaw_007 provided.  That is the ONLY photo on this man's Internet that I could find of that device, on or off of a Bullpup.  Thank you, Ravenclaw!

I was hoping that the dealer I bought the nosecone from had a set of wings for a C model, because that is just a better looking missile to me, than the B, but I'm happy that I don't have to build either set.

I realize what a TDD does, many missiles and mines have them, but I haven't found any information on why a few Bullpups had them.  As 331Killerbee pointed out, it was very rare, but can you tell me why they used it?  Special targets?  Perhaps just for testing that particular TDD?  Any information would be much appreciated.  I'll attempt to post a photo of the nosecone and one wing, in case anyone cares to see the details of it.  I noticed that all the wings are cast aluminum and have a slight bend built into rear, outboard tip.  No deformation of the paint, all are identical, so it doesn't look like a demil process.  I can't imagine them spinning like a bullet, so there has to be a different reason for the bends.

Anyway, thanks for some great reading!

Edited by Cleaver
  • Like 2

Thank you so much , great picture :good: 

is it possible to get some more close up pictures of that nose cone ???

Absolutely, Ravenclaw!  I just uploaded 40 pics to the same folder.  Yeah, that's probably overkill...  I included some close ups of one of the wings too.  They are all the same, less serial numbers and date of manufacture.  One is a Rev. G, the other three are Rev. E.

Being new to this forum, (the only forum I've ever joined...) I'm not sure if I should just leave them in the folder, or drag them into this thread.  Let me know if you would like any other photos or different angles of anything.  I also have an AIM-4E Falcon (an old beater that I haven't started work on yet) and a full set of fins and wings for an AIM-9L/M, if you need any photos of those.  I can accurately measure any features, if that is helpful to you.

I take back what I said earlier about the missile spinning like a bullet.  I watched a couple of videos on YT that clearly show that Bullpups spin counterclockwise, (looks more like a corkscrew) which is what the bent wing tips would cause.  It makes me wonder how the guidance system knew which direction was up or down if it was constantly changing...

I plan on making a trip to the Air Force museum in Dayton, OH in a couple of months to get a bunch of decent photos of the details I need. 

• Like 1