Shiloh

OT - Silent Hunter III (and The Grey Wolves Mod)

As I wait for the next installment of our favorite flight sim, I've revisited Silent Hunter III with The Grey Wolves mod. It's a nice combination of a great base WW2 Uboat sim with a fantastic mod to enhance it's luster. I'm sure many of you have played it and know exactly what I'm talking about but for those of you who have not played it, I highly recommend it.

Just a few days ago I started a new career in 1939 with 2nd Flotilla and I'm in the middle of my third patrol. On the first patrol I had no objectives so I snuck past patrols into a Dutch harbor and over a submarine net to bag 2 large merchant freighters and a warship. I was operating in only 20 meters of water so it was exciting when the search lights went on as I crept just below the surface right past the gunboats and to safety. On the second patrol I was heavily damaged by depth charges but was able to limp back to port. Currently, I'm off the coast of Scotland and fired two torpedoes into a large British freighter as two warships closed in on me in very stormy weather. I did an emergency dive to 145 meters and they've been dropping depth charges on me for close to an hour. It's almost nighttime so I'm hoping to surface after dark and high-tail it out of there. I just found out that freighter I torpedoed just sunk in heavy seas so that brings my total to 4 ships sunk and 23,000+ tons.

It's nothing short of nerve-wracking when you're having depth charges dropped on your head and it really immerses one into the sim. Equally exciting is lining up that next ship and knowing an accurate shot will bring it down. It is my spring-break week from school so I've been staying up late and I'm really enjoying this sim. After having watched Das Boot again recently, it's really good timing for me.

Afterall, It will only be two more weeks...

http://en.wikipedia....lent_Hunter_III

http://www.thegreywolves.com/

Shiloh

8728_2.jpg

Edited by Shiloh

I played it for a long time, i believe that is the best wwii sub sim!!!!!!!

Great game (especially with the Grey Wolves mod), played it years ago and still occasionally fire it up (just to get sunk).

I used to play it for several campaigns, and likes it above SH4 (not tried SH5, bad rumors). I played it in a some unrealistic way, always using magnetic detonation, much more efficient (I like the view of torpedo course, detonation, and damage underwater), even when assigned close to Iceland. Historically, it seems that the Germans switched off the magnetic device on their torpedoes as soon as Spring 1940, after too many critical duds during the Norwegian campaign, just fought too close to the Magnetic Pole. The Americans were the jerks who, compelled by insane superior orders, kept on using malfunctioning magnetic torpedoes for all of the first part of the War in the Pacific, missing golden opportunities to reduce the Imperial military and merchant Navies as soon as 1942. Also unrealistic, I have several times eliminated a chasing destroyer, rushing right ahead, just by firing my aft torpedo (magnetic detonation). Too easy to be true.