Sign in to follow this  
GalmOne

Vietnam gun pod speed limitations

I've been trying to find out what speed limitations were set for Phantoms (if any) carrying gun pods in Vietnam, particularly the following:

- SUU-23

- HIPEG Mk 4 Mod 0

I already know that the SUU-16 had an optimal speed range for proper use, so I'm not too concerned about its performance, especially in lieu of the SUU-23 being better.

As for the USN/MC pods, I found a Hughes tool company report stating that the HIPEG 20 mm gun pod could be flown "at speeds up to Mach 1.2 on wing pylons": http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/601655.pdf but no altitude is given, and I have no idea what plane is being tested. I've also read a number of accounts in the Osprey books about how the HIPEG Mk 4 pods were used often by the USMC, and that they were maintained so well, they could be used for A-A combat, but never got the chance.

What would be great is if I could find a chart with the load outs and their respective limit speeds. I'd like to somehow eventually code these limits into the SF2 aircraft if possible.

Turns out the info I need is in this manual:

NAVAIR 01-245FDB-1T - which is the tactical manual for the F-4B. Anyone know where to get one? Preferably under $15.

look here http://www.f4phantom.com/docs1.html

and if you need the complete Weapons Delivery Manual for the F-4 (in this case the F-4F) GAFTO 1F-4F-34-1 please give me a PM and i can send it to you , in this manual is a complete section for the SUU-23A gun-pod and its limitations and usage

Edited by ravenclaw_007

Thanks for the link, but I can't seem to find much there other than decal placements and such.

According to one of my F-4E Dash 1 from the mid 80's, a SUU-16 or SUU-23 on the CL station has full aircraft limits. However, if you have wing tanks then your speed is limited to 550 KIAS until the tanks are empty, then 750 KIAS (you'd NEVER see that speed realistically). Likewise if you have SUU-16/23 on the wing stations 1 & 9 in lieu of tanks, the jet is limited to +6/-3 symetrical Gs. Jettison limits are 1 G level flight between 250-325 KIAS.

• Like 1