Sign in to follow this  
SebastianP

Nuke effects clipping out

OK, now I'm getting irritated. I'm test dropping bombs right now, and for some reason or other, the mushroom cloud effect just drops out entirely at a certain distance, and I can't figure out why.

The relevant portions of my flightengine.ini look like this:

[backgroundSceneClip]
FarClipDistance=50000000.0
NearClipDistance=200

[ForegroundSceneClip]
NearClipDistance=0.45

[insideSceneClip]
NearClipDistance=0.01

[LowDetailOption]
HorizonDistance=200000.0
DetailMeshSize=2
DetailLevel=0
WaterEffect=0
NoiseTexture=0
MaxTextureRes=256

[MedDetailOption]
HorizonDistance=200000.0
DetailMeshSize=2
DetailLevel=1
WaterEffect=1
NoiseTexture=0
MaxTextureRes=512

[HighDetailOption]
HorizonDistance=200000.0
DetailMeshSize=4
DetailLevel=2
WaterEffect=2
NoiseTexture=1
MaxTextureRes=1024

[unlimitedDetailOption]
HorizonDistance=200000.0
DetailMeshSize=10
DetailLevel=2
WaterEffect=2
NoiseTexture=1
MaxTextureRes=-1

[soundSettings]
SampleFrequency=44100
BitsPerSample=16
DopplerFactor=1.0

[WorldSettings]
SectorWidth=20
SectorHeight=20
SectorMaxObject=256
Border=35000.0
MinHeight=0.5
MaxHeight=1E+6

[MapSettings]
MapMaxSize=200000
MapMinSize=20000
MapInitSize=100000
MapScaleRate=5.0
ZoomControl=CAMERA_ZOOM_CONTROL

The above is as far as I can tell more or less precisely what's recommended for Lexx's effects, so they *should* work. The main tweaks I've done to the effect itself is I've added a zero to the particle life time of all the emitters except the breakaway pulse, which made the fireball look much more fireball-y - at least up until the point where it vanishes. The fireball is still there, as it can be seen from other aircraft that are closer than mine, it's just not rendering...

Is there anything else I can do to get the dratted effects to be visible from longer ranges?

it's called forcing the game engine to do what it wasn't supposed to...

I think I didn't tested LExx effects in Series2, might be it's now handled differently due to the near and far terrains and their shaders :dntknw:

BTW Nukes? be a man, use HVARs! :tongue:

OK, now I'm getting irritated. I'm test dropping bombs right now, and for some reason or other, the mushroom cloud effect just drops out entirely at a certain distance, and I can't figure out why.

The relevant portions of my flightengine.ini look like this:

[backgroundSceneClip]
NearClipDistance=200

[ForegroundSceneClip]
NearClipDistance=0.45

[insideSceneClip]
NearClipDistance=0.01

[LowDetailOption]
HorizonDistance=200000.0
DetailMeshSize=2
DetailLevel=0
WaterEffect=0
NoiseTexture=0
MaxTextureRes=256

[MedDetailOption]
HorizonDistance=200000.0
DetailMeshSize=2
DetailLevel=1
WaterEffect=1
NoiseTexture=0
MaxTextureRes=512

[HighDetailOption]
HorizonDistance=200000.0
DetailMeshSize=4
DetailLevel=2
WaterEffect=2
NoiseTexture=1
MaxTextureRes=1024

[unlimitedDetailOption]
HorizonDistance=200000.0
DetailMeshSize=10
DetailLevel=2
WaterEffect=2
NoiseTexture=1
MaxTextureRes=-1

[soundSettings]
SampleFrequency=44100
BitsPerSample=16
DopplerFactor=1.0

[WorldSettings]
SectorWidth=20
SectorHeight=20
SectorMaxObject=256
Border=35000.0
MinHeight=0.5
MaxHeight=1E+6

[MapSettings]
MapMaxSize=200000
MapMinSize=20000
MapInitSize=100000
MapScaleRate=5.0
ZoomControl=CAMERA_ZOOM_CONTROL

The above is as far as I can tell more or less precisely what's recommended for Lexx's effects, so they *should* work. The main tweaks I've done to the effect itself is I've added a zero to the particle life time of all the emitters except the breakaway pulse, which made the fireball look much more fireball-y - at least up until the point where it vanishes. The fireball is still there, as it can be seen from other aircraft that are closer than mine, it's just not rendering...

Is there anything else I can do to get the dratted effects to be visible from longer ranges?

What patch level are you running?

also check these lines, are these supposed to be the very same values..?

BackgroundSceneClip]

NearClipDistance=200

[ForegroundSceneClip]

NearClipDistance=0.45

[insideSceneClip]

NearClipDistance=0.01

Sorry for taking so long to reply, have been busy doing tests. I'm running March 2012 (full merged install including NA).

I've tried several different .ini settings, including reverting to stock, nothing seems to work properly - all smoke effects vanish at something like 10 kilometers maximum (I haven't measured, but my B-52 at 330 knots/20k feet goes out of "visual range" before the mushroom cloud of the KT030 effect starts forming properly.) Interestingly, with the stock clip distance settings, the effect was visible at a longer range. As I said though, the effect is still there for some time after it's no longer visible from the aircraft - switching to a ground object view lets you watch the mushroom cloud form and everything, though once I get the visual range issue fixed, I'll need to do some reworking of the condensation rings etc.

It's kind of sad, given that Lexx's screenshots from SF1 shows the effects to be much nicer.

I'd very dearly like to have proper mushroom clouds that stick around for some time (ten, fifteen minutes at least, with a softer fade out than just smoke blobs going from fully visible to not visible.) As soon the issue is figured out and fixed, I can start delivering instant sunshine to you lot - still inside its cans, though...

The nukes are not clipping at all in my June 2010 install... however the color is washed out. I think the visual dropout has something to do with TK's new fading objects function.

Also, remember that TK has reduced the draw distance in recent patches to work with the new terrain engine.....which brings up the question,how are you able to run a horizon distance of 200000.0 in the march 2012 patch level? I got horrendous clipping when I tried to exceed stock settings at that patch level

Also I think we need to experiment with the shaders... lexxe's original effects at the SF1 2006 patch level were much better.

Edited by Icarus999

Played with the effect a bit to make it more dramatic....post-30410-0-39189900-1364256510_thumb.jpgpost-30410-0-83748600-1364256524_thumb.jpg

Still needs a lot of work.

Edited by Icarus999