Sign in to follow this  
OldSimmer

Up And Going!

Received my copy of BHaH today!

Install went without a hitch... already created a pilot and accomplished my first free flight. Took off and landed without incident. Fun! There is a TON of capability in this game and the in-depth nature of it is nigh overwhelming.

I chose the SE5a and am in the year 1918. Did the SE5a of 1918 have a four blade propeller? Mine does!

What airplane/squadron/year would you guys recommend for a newbie like me?

Thanks!

Old Simmer

Great site Olham.They have an excellent pic of the Fairey Fantome.Always my favourite biplane.Love to fly her in a sim.

Cheers,hood

The pilot posing on that SE5a pic (in the site posted by Olham)

is Pour Le Merite holder and Jasta 12 Kommandeur, Adolf Ritter von Tutschek.

He is wearing the full flight gear (Sidcot suit and leather cap) of the British pilot too.

SE_5aHissoC1057withvictoriousHptmTutschek.jpg

Here is he with his black Albatros D.III, upon his appointment as CO of Jasta 12 (from Jasta 2 Boelcke)

again wearing captured British flight gear!

Jasta12Kommandeur.jpg

:salute:

P.S. Wellcome aboard OldSimmer!

Edited by elephant

Seems the British flying gear was more suitable for the cold up there?

Irony of history: von Tutschek was also shot down by an S.E.5a pilot - South African Harold Redler.

The radiator side at the right of the S.E.5a looks like being shot half off.

Edited by Olham

The SE.5a is a great choice for a newbie. It's tough, fast and easy to fly. However, 1918 is a very busy year with lots of battles and air activity. It would be easier to start in 1917. There are two elite squadrons, No. 56 and 60, that fly the SE in 1917. Being in an elite unit greatly helps your chances of survival.

If you want to fly for Central Powers, late 1916 and early 1917 are excellent choices. During that period, the Germans have an advantage over the Entente air forces with their superb Albatros D.II and D.III fighters. They also have plenty of good quality squadrons (Jastas) that you can join, like Jasta 2 or 11.

Have fun, and get used to dying a lot. :biggrin:

British / 1916: Sopwith Pup (a fine little scout for great flying)

British / first half 1917: the amazing Sopwith Triplane

British / Summer1917 and 1918: the sturdy and very fast S.E.5a

German / August 1916: Halberstadt D.II - easy to fly scout with good vision

German / Autumn + Winter 1916: Albatros D.II - sturdy allrounder with twin Spandaus + good vision

German / Spring 1917: Albatros D.III - good allrounder with great vision + twin Spandaus

If you want to fly as a French or American pilot, you have some different options.

The French have their excellent Nieuport 11 and 17 fighters for 1916. For example in the summer of 1916 you are pretty much invincible if you fly a Nieuport 17 in some elite Escadrille, like Esc. 3. Later (1917) the French will receive their tough and fast SPAD fighters, which the American air service will also use in 1918. But the SPADs are not as forgiving to newbies as the other fighters mentioned here.

Now if you want to fly as a two-seater pilot, there's a whole new world waiting for you. I definitely recommend giving them a try. You'll get a better understanding of what the reality of air combat in WW1 was for the majority of pilots, because the fighters were in the minority. The best two-seaters you can fly in OFF are the German DFW C.V and the British Sopwith Strutter and the Bristol Fighter (Brisfit). The Brisfit is also deadly as a fighter. Give it a try and be ready for a surprise. :biggrin:

Welcome to the ranks of the daisy-pushers, OldSimmer.

For tips and techniques you may like to download and peruse the Flying and Air Fighting Guides here: http://combatace.com...-pilot-primers/

Edited by Dej

Welcome Old Simmer! It seems like just yesterday I was in your position of new pilot. It has been a few years and I've learned some things about myself, what I prefer, and why. I fight/fly aggressively so I eventually gravitated to the SE5, SE5a Wolseley Viper, and the Fokker D.VII. These work for my style and I've found the most comfort with them. I do not care for the Nieuports or Spads but I do like the Albatros D.II, D.III, the Sopwith Pup and the Fokker Dr.1. If you like a 2-seater the Strutter performs quite predictably.

With that said it is all a matter of personal preference. I would suggest you fly some quick combat missions and see what you like, and what you're comfortable with. You can also do some historical research and see what craft you might have been flying against and challenge them to a fight of 6 on 6. There is nothing like practice and with that your skill and confidence will grow. I would also suggest practicing tough landings in QC such as limited space landings, uneven ground, etc. as being able to effectively crash-land will save you many times over. Also try and force yourself into a spin and learn how to pull yourself out. Good luck!