Sign in to follow this  
Nesher

Any series similar to Dogfights from the other end of things?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vHKD2IEy4FY#t=315s

I finished watching the show the second time already, very interesting and fun to watch

but I wonder, do the Russian or German or any other country have their own history series from their side? English translation preferred!

Dogfights had a episode on IAF. And the military channel has a series called "greatest tank battles". its like dogfights but with tanks.

Falcon

Good question. I would like to know too.

That is a great show

Falcon, I've seen both episodes on the IAF and the entire series.

the show you recommended sounds good but not what i'm looking for, thanks :)

Edited by Nesher

History channel really f##$ked up when they canceled Dogfights. There is a rumor that all the work for a episode about the Falklands, ended up in a Spanish speaking market only released special. I heard also they had plans to do more German and Russian interviews. Instead we end up with Ice Road Truckers.

• Like 3

Blackbird, I think I saw these shows but I'll check them out, thanks!

Crazyhorse, in a way you're right

but if they're doing it meaning there are people who are willing to watch it..

tough cookie for us who really enjoy history in a unique way :blink:

Wings of Russia is a fantastic series. Lots of aircraft/information and pigeon English that you'll never see from History/Military channel doccos. It's nothing personal Yank buddies, but, I could trip over 5 documentaries about the F-15 or the Vietnam War with the same rehashed interviews and footage when getting out of my chair, but I've only ever seen one documentary about Soviet Ekranoplans or with detailed information about the Su-24, Su-25s, Su-34s etc. Also, I understand many of these American documentaries are for the US market, but they're often very generalised and from the US perspective only. A great example of this would be to compare the Military Channel's Mi-24 show with the Wings of Russia episodes. I think the Wings docco on the A-4 Skyhawk doesn't even mention Australian, New Zealand, Singaporean or even Indonesia using the aircraft. The last one I saw on the F-111 didn't even mention Australia and we operated the sucker longer than the US! :smile: The most contemporary doccos I've seen come from Military/History Channels have been pretty bad. The series made in the 80s and 90s are superior to the 'edutainment' they show today.

in a way you're right as well SayWhatt, but I don't think anyone expecting an American show to glorify German or Russian aces.. it makes sense they'll show their wins and achievements

this is one of the reasons I'm looking for shows from the other side ;)

p.s. Israel also uses the A-4, soon to be decommissioned

100% agree Crazyhorse. History is looking more and more like A&E or MTV these days.

With painfully few exceptions outside of the "Bible" and "Vikings", the History channel is producing nothing other than what passes for the norm today, that is, anything other than "staged" reality shows.

Edited by Fubar512
  • Like 1

in a way you're right as well SayWhatt, but I don't think anyone expecting an American show to glorify German or Russian aces.. it makes sense they'll show their wins and achievements

this is one of the reasons I'm looking for shows from the other side ;)

p.s. Israel also uses the A-4, soon to be decommissioned

Neither was I (not about the aces anyways), but I'd have just liked to see something on the technology from the East from time to time. Also, that docco about the A-4 I mentioned, mentions Israel in the vaguest way. It's something like "The Skyhawk was a success with air forces overseas, including that of Israel..." And that's it. Nothing more than that. Israel's use of Skyhawks was, you know, pretty significant. I think it deserved more that a single throwaway line.These doccos just gloss over all sorts of pertinent information like that unless it pertains directly to the US. Maybe I'm just picky, but I'm not gonna waste an hour with a series if I know I can get better, non recycled footage or info online...

It would be nice to hear something about the soviet fighter town in Tadjikistan. The red counterpart to Top Gun.

The thing about Dogfights was that it a documentary so much as a real-time dissection of some of the more famous dogfights in history that (mostly) knew what it was talking about. They actually got most of the tactics right, most of the time. Where else have you ever seen a literate explanation of High/Low speed Yo-Yos' that was even close to the actual manuver? And with video, to boot, video, I might add, that made it seem you were watching a well made, narrated video of StrikeFighters2. The last thing I ever watched regularly on TV.

History channel really f##$ked up when they canceled Dogfights. There is a rumor that all the work for a episode about the Falklands, ended up in a Spanish speaking market only released special. I heard also they had plans to do more German and Russian interviews. Instead we end up with Ice Road Truckers.

They had a new female program director come in that wanted to compete against the reality TV shows on other networks. Is obsessed too strong of a word here? So she pushed Dogfights and other like minded actual history programs to later in the night/early morning to "prove" that they werent being watched in order to cancel them. It worked...

Dogfights was a great show, but toward the end suffered from a lack of funding which effected it's accuracy. The Desert Storm episode was full of errors.

Apparently, the Canadian TV network has picked up the series and it's shown up there.

I'm interested to know what kind of error were on the DS episode?

p.s. thanks spillone!

Apparently, the Canadian TV network has picked up the series and it's shown up there.

Any way to get ahold of those?

I'm interested to know what kind of error were on the DS episode?

p.s. thanks spillone!

It's been several years now since I watched it, but from what I recall, it was mostly graphical.

On the episode, they showed all of the F-15Cs were from Lakenheath, despite the unit not even formed until after the war. Some of the unit names got mixed up with what they did. A lot of small errors, but nothing like how the series started out. It was pretty spot on then.

As for getting the series on the Canadian network, I dont know, I dont live there. I know that the 2 seasons were available from the History Channel's online store. Not sure now...

• Like 1