Sign in to follow this  
SupGen

World War Two Squadron List

Is there a full up, all inclusive Squadron List for WWll installs? Right now I'm using a modified one from Baltika's Midway Campaign. I looked around the d'loads section and drew a blank. The one I'm using works okay, just curious.

nope.

the only way I can think of to do it, is go through EVERY ww2 skin (expecially the Allied and Axis ones that actually are named) and start listing them. A lot (most) of mine are called by their squadron numbers. I know some of my AA and RAF are already activated, as they call 'modern' pre-existing squadrons from the stock 3W squadronlist.ini.

then, you'll have to edit every single decals ini, adding my fake "SqTail.tga" as a Level=1 decal to some mesh not covered (I like using an aileron), to activate the squadron display on the Loadout page.

I wouldn't even worry about bombers .... far too much work, and as they're reccomened for AI-only, who cares?? :biggrin:

Teh way i went about doing mine was to go thru the different air arms and add them in. it does take alot of research and time and some units would best be left out,not to mention redoing the nation list. I left out cargo bird units in mine (much as i would have liked to added them) as they dont do much in game and you can only go to 999 and be usable. (It will show in the dropdown but not funtion on a decal and i think in a campaign) one advantage anyone working a Ww2 list would have is not as much interference from patching as it would be standalone per Wrench s suggestion anyhow. And Baltika s would be abetter start point than mine as i ve tended to focus on post vietnam era. Just my views as someone who monkeys regularly with that particular ini.

one of the biggest buggers would be the Luftwaffe.... breaking down each JG into the staffels (staffelen?) ... II/JG1, 9/JG26, etc .. best to just use the full geschwader (JG1), and let the skin 'name' show for each staffel.

JG would be like the wing or group (4th FG), were the staffel are the individual squadrons (334th FS). Just soooooooooooooo much work!! :biggrin:

don't even want to think about the Japanese (IJAAF or IJNAC) or the Regia Aeronautica!!!! Never have figured out either ww2 RA or modern AMI numbering systems!!

oh yeah!

that's were I get most of the squadron crests I use for the 'patch.bmp'. GREAT site!!!

Best route might be to go for a comprehensive squadronlist.ini for each theatre.

That would likely match up with the way most propheads have their WW2 installs set up.

So, one for ETO, one for PTO, one for CBI etc - you get my drift.

I suggest taking a look at the squadronlist.ini for Wings Over Africa, we put a ton of work into making that as comprehensive as possible for MTO.

Slainthe!

Baltika

PS, I hear ya, Wrench! Great site! I get lost in there just reading the squadron histories.

Edited by Baltika

For WW2 Royal Air Force, look no further than this resource:-

http://www.rafweb.or...x.htm#Squadrons

For the whole of WW2, I think we're gonna need a bigger squadronlist.ini than the game engine can handle. . .

Indeed. As said i have mine in the 999 range tho actually i have 150 used as patch protection placeholders and leave the last 100 for other use anything 1000 and above doesnt register for decals.

but i think there is merit in the by theatre squadronlist

Boy, this sounds like almost as much fun as amputating your pinky with a cigar cutter :blink: . Thank heavens I'm (at the moment) mostly interested in the PTO, I've got most of the USN squadrons now; I'll keep plugging away.

Given that so few people are actually skinning WWII aircraft would there be enough return from the amount of work involved? Wouldn't be easier for people to submit requests for help with squadron crests/symbols and those of us with good reference material send them the jpeg?

I could supply a list of all Regia Aeronautica squadrons by theatre.