Sign in to follow this  
Nightshade/PR

Would You Tell Them?

I recently watched a documentary on the National Geographic Channel, and the synopsis is below:

There is a neutron star headed our way, and we have 79 years to get this done. No if's; no but; no maybes; no extra time. This planet is going to die. And if we can't figure out how to save SOME of humanity, so does the species.....

"If we faced a countdown to destruction, could we build a spacecraft to take us to new and habitable worlds? Can we Evacuate Earth? NGC's two-hour special examines this terrifying but scientifically plausible scenario by exploring how we could unite to ensure the survival of the human race."

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/episodes/evacuate-earth/

The link to the full video on you tube is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H54bpwANys

A friend at work I convinced to watch this, and I were having a discussion on this, and he posed a very simple question.

If you knew the world were coming to an end, and you knew when, would you tell the world?

He said he would not, due to the ensuing social and civil upheaval. I disagreed, and the discussion ensued. So I'll put the question to you.......

Would you tell them?

We know for a fact our world is going to end. Our sun is going to consume all of its fuel in a few billion years. And...as the universe continues to expand, eventually stars will be so far apart that sentient life forms looking out into space will conclude that they are alone, and therefore the center of the universe.

Cheers! :biggrin:

I'd just get David Bowie to do it. Only, I'd have to wait 'till 5 Years. And if I did that, I think I'd blow everyone's minds.

The truth is I don't know that we could save enough people to matter. Sure, we could get people off Earth, perhaps even enough to matter, but that doesn't SAVE them. What would this star do? You can say Earth and the Moon are gone right off the bat. Mars becomes your only destination, and anything like a neutron star passing through the inner solar system that's going to wipe out Earth would probably ruin Mars too. That leaves interstellar travel, and we frankly can't do that. Leaving propulsion out of it (although you can't because you'd have to leave far enough in advance to get away from the neutron star approaching and receding), you'd need to build a generational ship capable of sustaining people for an indefinite amount of time, and it would need at a minimum many thousands of people to "save humanity". Something like 500 people isn't worth it. Plus, how fragile would that be? A single asteroid undetected too long could pop the thing like a can and it's over.

That means it would be very expensive and take a lot of work by a lot of people. I certainly wouldn't work myself to the bone for decades to save a few thousand people out of billions that most likely wouldn't include me and my family and quite possibly would just be extending their lives a short time anyway. Some would, but I think most would prefer to spend the time they had left as best as they could and working hard like that would not be on the list.

actually, JM, watch the show. the neutron sta'rs gravity wacks (perterbs badly) all the planetery orbits, and cooks Jupiter to metallic hydrogen cinder.

So, staying 'in system' was not an option

I would tell only Ronald Emmerich, Michael Bay and Leonard Nimoy so they come up with an ubercool plan wich ultimately will come down to nuke the neutron star in some weird way. I mean, it is gonna be just as effective as anything else.

Or wait for the cutting-edge state of the art I-Ark, with lots of lens flare, hipster apps, underpowered engines,radiation and fluid leaks, cavitating parts, lowest bider rivets, spiralling costs to pay contractor´s last wishes, et cetera.