SayethWhaaaa

NK in state of war with the South?

So I'm getting this on the ticker on my phone:

"North Korea has reportedly announced it has entered a "state of war" with South Korea."

WTF?? Anyone getting anything like this from their news services?? I mean, I know technically they've been in a state of war with each other since 1953, but this is a real escalation, real quick, if true. This is popping up on the ABC News (Australia) site currently.

This is just North Korea's crazy dictator's way of getting attention. North Korea will never do anything aggressive towards the south, not as long as China is around. The Chinese will never allow NK to attack the south or the U.S. If NK ever did, you know every nation on earth including China would immediately join in destroying North Korea. We just need to let Kim get it out of his system, he'll shut up in a month at the most. We all know NK is smarter than this.

Edited by warthog64

I would say it is more bullcrap, but it may get too violent. I don´t think anybody is expecting to get anything. Allies don´t want a war at all, and the NK mafiaknows all they would get is their asses pounded. I mean, there are precedents of dumber decisions, so i could be wrong, but i think this is a foul. If there was no more war in any of the multiple incidents before that, i don´t think there is gonna be one right now.

Btw, any chance of another proxy cyber attack on the SK, Japan and the US, NK leaders bought by the chinese to get the US and their allies in the region into another attrition bush war so they can keep buying US debt? Just asking

Edited by macelena
  • Like 1

Well something is most certainly behind this "show" but what? It's hard to say.

I'd like to think it's a game by Un to get full support from the military which is a class that controls the whole country BUT, wouldn't this be overdoing it, dangerously overdoing it?

P.S. aside from stealth precision attacks I don't see US being involved too much if the poop hits the fan, it simply does not have to, ROK military is brutally powerful and equipped...

It was a mistake to allow NK to get nukes in the first place. I am quite certain NK would have been dealt with already if not for the Nukes.

ROK military is brutally powerful and equipped...

...and commanded by the worlds best Starcraft players :biggrin:

Edited by JonathanRL

Main headline news on the BBC as well - it still aint gonna happen surely.........

It was a mistake to allow NK to get nukes in the first place. I am quite certain NK would have been dealt with already if not for the Nukes.

Mmm I doubt that, according to all publicly available info and analysis their nuclear weapons are not deliverable...

There are countries that are more dangerous than North Korea, with 1000 times more nukes...

Anyway this is a theatre show... I'm completely sure that the great puppet masters wanted this to happen.

Be honest... who's interest is to make a war... Koreans? pfff. Laughable.

Anyway, State of War is the "status quo", since they never made peace.

Edited by Snailman

Supposedly from South Korea last week - I can only think that the flight leads F-16 broke down before take off and he had to borrow a B-2 :biggrin:

attachment.php?attachmentid=15617&d=1364635435

Technically NK is in state of war with SK since 1950.

1953 it was only a ceasefire between NK and China of the one side and the USA lead UN expedition force. SK denied to sign the ceasefire.

So both states are in state of war up today. Nothing has changed.

they just warned they might close the Kaesong industrial zone (in which south Koreans work; it's part of the warming of relationship between the countries) which is a bad sign

I got the template for a new Tom Clancy novel. The chinese are pissed because the US won´t let them buy more debt. So they decide to get the US in a proxy attrition war or something to force them to ease their loans or some economical trick. The NK regime staff, wich is starting to realize their situation is not that comfortable, is contacted to cause a mess in exchange for some way out. So they pressure Kim, wich still doesn´t really have a grip on the command stick, to look scary. After an escalation, NK, covered after a massive cyberattack, shells Seoul massively, and launches a Tet like offensive. I´ll put nukes out of the scheme for now.

Now seriously, with some luck, it will all be bad korean screaming over the DMZ

Actually, that can't happen. For whatever reason, in the late 90s Clancy set it up that the Koreas unified after Kim Jong Il's death (which was still a decade away in reality) and that whole area became stable. I think it was in Debt of Honor, the US/Japan war, where he puts that out there.

Of course, despite his "peace in the Mid East" thing he did for Sum of All Fears, he reversed it for Teeth of the Tiger after 9/11 when he decided to let some actual history affect his books again. Still, it would be hard to fit it in his established world and he'd have to start over again. Personally, I always thought it was a mistake to think Korea would get fixed that easy.

As for China, they want status quo. A dangerous, noisy NK that does nothing serious but THREATEN keeps the US from focusing to much on Taiwan and Chinese territorial claims. It's the distraction that serves them well. Obviously a full-blown war does NOT serve them well, and I'm wondering if the new Kim hasn't gotten the memo and is overdoing it like Shatner playing a Native American on Star Trek. China doesn't want a unified Korea, it doesn't even want a true peace there. The problem is that's a knife-edge balance and it's tipping the dangerous way right now.

For some reason I'm thinking of The Mouse That Roared.

NK starts a war with the deliberate aim of losing so they get lots of economic aid.

The US/UN might go for it too as there would little danger of a protracted occupation and insurgency like Iraq or Afghanistan.

NK is definitely a mouse and it's definitely roaring loudly. The rest, not so sure.

For some reason I'm thinking of The Mouse That Roared.

NK starts a war with the deliberate aim of losing so they get lots of economic aid.

Yeah, was a funny movie. Very old, but very good.

I hope the things will calm down. But anyone know If the NK have the hability to launch Nukes?

It's just to distract us from the end of the internet... or world or some such... :blum::lmao:

If by "launch" you mean "throw them over the DMZ", then yes. If you mean "mount one on a ballistic missile to hit a target," then no.

I think it was in Debt of Honor, the US/Japan war, where he puts that out there.

That book has a really bad rep for being very ignorant of and stereotyping the Japanese people, here. When I used to work in libraries, it used to be included on a list of books not to be displayed when we did specific displays for authors, themes, etc because of the feedback patrons used to give us (even if it didn't sell too badly upon release here). I remember reading it and thinking "Wow, what an arrogant pr*ck this guy is! It's like I'm reading a story about a Japan that never lost it's belligerent, nationalist WWII attitude". I even wondered if he'd met any Japanese people at that point, more so when I read it's ridiculous ending. It wasn't until I saw some interviews with him on youtube that I realised that, yeah, he really is just an arrogant pr*ck-- especially in the commentary during of Sum of all Fears.

If by "launch" you mean "throw them over the DMZ", then yes. If you mean "mount one on a ballistic missile to hit a target," then no.

They have watched too much Holy Grail and have taken the Cow tapult one step further...

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 1

Clancy is an old guy with old guy opinions.

He hates India for no clear reason I can figure out, either. He has them colluding with China against Russia, which is just preposterous. India would side with Russia before China any time, although they may not side with Russia either! Still, Russia did a lot more for them and China is a real concern.

Anyway, Sum of All Fears was itself a silly idea. Well, not the plot to blow up the Super Bowl with a nuke, but the idea that it was precipitated by a peace in Israel and how it was secured.

It boils down to this: Clancy knew the USSR/Russia. His early books dealing with them as the adversary worked as a result. When he went global, his ignorance of those cultures and his preconceived notions of them (I knew many WWII vets and children of them who hate the Japanese to this day because they can't get over WWII) colored the actions they took.

So you have to give up the idea that he's writing anything that "could" happen.

I allways felt he was a douche, only that Red Storm Rising was great. Not as literature, but as an essay of 1980s conventional warfare, wich anyway was more of a merit of whoever advised him. I had a good time reading an article by another douche on him "Tom Clancy is not one of ours" by Gary Brecher, the War Nerd.

Edited by macelena

In my eyes Sum of all Fears was his best book. And Red Storm Rising was his most LOL book, only comparable with soviet WW" books where all sovier soldiers were smart heros while the germans were stupid cowards. Red Storm Rising was the same, but only with smart american heros and stupid soviet fools. Cold War stuff.

Hunt for Red October, Cardinal in Kremlin, Without Remourse were great.