Sign in to follow this  
arthur666

Making a gun that does no damage?

For some Aggressor specific planes:

Making a new plane, F-14A_Ag , the usual clone job, it works fine. But, I want it to attack, but not be able to damage my plane. Custom loadout w/ no missiles, and I made this gun:

Folder is Objects/Guns/20MM_M61A1_BLNK

20MM_M61A1_BLNK.ini

[GunData]
ObjectFullName=20MM_M61A1_BLNK
ObjectDataFile=20MM_M61A1_BLNK_DATA.INI

20MM_M61A1_BLNK_DATA.ini

TypeName=20MM_M61A1_BLNK
FullName=20MM_M61A1_BLNK
//Caliber=20.000000
Caliber=20.000000
ROF=6000.000000
MuzzleVel=1030.000000
//AmmoWt=0.101000
AmmoWt=0.000001
//WarheadWt=0.010100
WarheadWt=0.0
CartridgeWt=0.265000
Reliability=100.000000
Accuracy=50.000000
AddLight=TRUE
MaxLightRange=20.000000
FireColor=0.400000,0.360000,0.256000
GunFireEffect=20mmFireEffect
GunFireSound=Vulcan
EffectClassName=20mmEffects
EffectTime=0.100000
TracerTexture=Tracer.tga
TracerSize=0.150000
TracerDistFactor=0.002000
TracerLength=0.015000
MaxVisibleDist=4000.000000
MaxStreakVisibleDist=1000.000000
TimeFuzed=FALSE

and in folder F-14A_Ag, F-14A_Ag_DATA.ini:

// Internal Guns ---------------------------------------------------------
[internalGun]
SystemType=FIXED_GUN
GunTypeName=20MM_M61A1_BLNK
InputName=FIRE_PRIMARY_GUN
MuzzlePosition=-0.58,7.25,-0.13
LightPosition=-0.68,7.35,-0.13
AimAngles=0.00,0.0,0.0
MaxAmmo=1500
AmmoWeightFull=179.0
AmmoWeightFired=81.1
EjectShells=FALSE
MinExtentPosition=-0.64, 5.92,-0.22
MaxExtentPosition=-0.49, 7.21,-0.04

I tried bumping the ammo count back down to stock, but that didn't work.

What am I missing?

I'ld like to do an F-21A_Ag and some others as well.

Make new ammo for it that does no damage ? not sure what you trying to do? tried resetting it in gun editor?

Have you considered making a copy of plannes you want to use as Agressors and one you'd like to fly in and giving them bunker-value armor?

By the way you just might have give us idea for a nice RF mod

@russouk2004: I thought the ammo is in the gun's DATA.INI . I removed warhead and toned weight down to .000001 When I fly, the plane now has no gun. Not sure why this is happening.

I'll try the TW gun editor. I forgot there was one. Thanks

@Stary: The high armor value idea did cross my mind, but I want to make 3 or 4 aggressor specific planes that can't hurt me but try too. I can fly against them in whatever plane I want, but won't necessarily shoot them down. I'll just try to get good firing solutions on them. And if they get me, I won't go down in flames, which would obviously necessitate a complete reset of the mission. I think it might be a fun way to get in a lot of DACT time.

By "RF", do you mean "Red Flag"? I think that would be great.

Another question: I assume if a take away their weapons altogether, they'll simply run for it?

Edited by arthur666

thy'll run I think,

my reasoning was that making both opponents and self fully armored to a point of being virtuall immune to bullets (think of stock hangars etc) one can still experience full dogfights with seeing effects of good lead solutions (hit puffs) without bringing down the enemies, and having to deal with his own nerves when opponents make it to his tail, more adrenaline that way. Yeah, RF as in Red Flag.

other than that is fiddling with the selected planes _data.inis and making adjustments to components, I think these would be of interest:

DetachWhenDestroyed=

DamageRating=

but I'm not an ini guy

Damage rating blank should be ok. Detach needs true or false. Not from experience but observation when fiddling wth the parts i mess with.

• Like 1

I'll play around with some of this stuff when I get home.

Thinking about RF, It should be easy enough to set up an air-only campaign on one of the US maps with the participating nations. I like the idea. However, if we make all AI participants indestructible, they won't know when to disengage and fly back to base "dead".

Might have to see some friendlies burn to get that working. :(

EDIT:

Another thought I had was to make a "training pod" weapon that attached to a Sidewinder station or something. It would be a gun that had lots of non-destructive ammo. Could add it to the loadout of the AI Aggressor by creating a custom loadout on a weaponless, dedicated Aggressor. I could, of course place it on any aircraft I+wingmen fly in the loadout screen. This would let me jump from F-15 to F-16 to F-4 to whatever without having to create a whole new (clone) plane.

Edited by arthur666

is training rounds class supported by weapons editor? I don't think so, so it's down to harmless projectiles

Alright. Using the Gun Editor, I made something called TRAINING_CANNON. bullets fly and make effects, scare AI etc, but do no damage. Almost perfect. Problem is, since my bullets have no mass, ballistically speaking, they are strange to say the least. But since this is for air combat training, not gunnery training, it'll be good enough.

Now I just need to put it in an invisible gunpod.

Thanks for the help, yall.

:ok:

I think the weight influences the drop quite in a funny way?

Yep. Good ol' Newtonian Physics.

On a side note, the gunpod idea is not going to work, at least not without editing the Aircraft_DATA.INI to allow pylons to accept gunpods on some aircraft. I'l just get them in my sight and say out loud, "Bang, you're dead". That's basically how they do it in training anyway, right? Plus, practicing with weightless bullets would throw off my real(in-game) gunnery.

EDIT:

No wait! I can up-armor the Aggressors, per your suggestion. They can't hurt my stock aircraft because their internal gun is the training cannon, I can't hurt them because they have more armor than a comm building! Then I can practice with "real" bullets, missiles, whatever.

:dance2:

told you at the very beginning... you could saved yourself the training gun hasstle :smile:

edit: ok, now as I re-read; have you considered making specific set of bunker concrete-finished planes for yourself? then live ammo with real ballistics could be used

Edited by Stary

told you at the very beginning... you could saved yourself the training gun hasstle :smile:

Well, not really. I still wanted them to shoot at any stock/usermade aircraft without being able to damage it. If I start making armored versions of every plane I might want to fly in, I'ld really use up a lot of HD space, plus clutter up my drop-box menus. :smile:

As well as the F-14, I'll edit an F-5, A-4, and of course, F-21A.

Downloading Hurc's Nellis now.

Edited by arthur666

you can't live with 3 Agressors and 3 player planes do you, spoiled one? :wink:

you can't live with 3 Agressors and 3 player planes do you, spoiled one? :wink:

Hah! Strike Fighters wrecked my attention span. Too many choices! I'm spoiled indeed!

• Like 1

HasArmor=TRUE

ArmorType=Titanium

Armor[FRONT].Thickness=500

Armor

.Thickness=500

Armor

.Thickness=500

Armor[REAR].Thickness=500

Armor[TOP].Thickness=500

Armor[bOTTOM].Thickness=500

do that for ALL components (wings, fuselage, tail, et) and all control surfaces (ailerons, spoinlers, rudder, elevators, etc)

increas thickness to suit

HasArmor=TRUE

ArmorType=Titanium

Armor[FRONT].Thickness=500

Armor

.Thickness=500

Armor

.Thickness=500

Armor[REAR].Thickness=500

Armor[TOP].Thickness=500

Armor[bOTTOM].Thickness=500

do that for ALL components (wings, fuselage, tail, et) and all control surfaces (ailerons, spoinlers, rudder, elevators, etc)

increas thickness to suit

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. I just added an extra zero to your number. Now they survive missle hits too. :D

It didn't seem like it did, but this doesn't affect the weight of the aircraft, does it?

no; not since day 1. for some reason, the weight of the armor is NOT taken into consideration or is 'read' by the game engine

For all my ADVERSARY or AGRESSOR missions I try to engage far out with the radar CAPTM. Engage with IR CAPTM for short range using the lock tone as my indicator that I would have killed the target. Then finish the whole thing off with guns and BFM. I am not particularly concerned about actually killing the target with the guns.